M.T. Breaks Unit 631

M

moedogee

Hello I really enjoy the useful info that you guys share. My first post! After years of trying Ive finally drew a nonres. coveted Missouri river breaks tag in Unit 631. Ive fished on Fort Peck lake a few times so Im somewhat use to the topogrophy but any info you guys could help make my dream hunt a success would be so greatfully appreciated. Has any one here had any successful hunts there. Thanks in advance for your help. Moedogee

Moedogee

I hunt in the 700 district on the south side of the lake. I've never hunted 631, but it looks similar to our side. Are you only hunting the rifle season, or the archery, too? The elk can be pretty spread out, so I recommend a lot of scouting and persistence. We like to stay high and try to find the bulls in the coulees, then make a move on them. With the lake there, they have a lot of watering options, so it's tough to try and use watering holes. However, like I said, hunt hard and don't give up - it's a great tag. Good luck..

LAST EDITED ON Aug-05-04 AT 09:39AM (MST)[p]Congrats on the tag and permit. I have put in for 21 years and have yet to draw. I live in Glasgow and spend every weekend nearly out at the lake.

I have hunted mule deer there extensively and there are a couple of things that affect the hunting out there. First is the weather be prepared for it. If it rains you are not going to go anywhere. Second is the pressure opening day out there is crazy.

We have had ample rain and the area is still green which is highly unusually. I went all the way to the bonetrail boat ramp last week end while out glassing and there are a lot of animals out there. My son and I counted 61 elk with 6 really good bulls. My advice is know what kind of bull you are willing to let walk and which you would consider a shooter. Many guys finally draw this permit and get excited and shoot the first 5x5 they see. Nothing wrong with that but there are some real pigs out there and why not put a tag on one of those.

Nemont

Hey Nemont,

Sounds like things are good on your side of the lake. I was up working on my cabin last weekend, and it's very green on the southside too. Lots of grass, which actually has me a bit worried if it dries out and fires start. I helped put a small one out last summer about a mile from my place.

Anyway, the moisture should be good for horn growth. I saw several good bucks last year that I'd love to put my tag on this year, and of course, you know what the bull situation is like in these parts. Just gotta get close enough to put an arrow in since I can't draw the rifle tag. Will you be archery hunting?

Good Luck

John

Hello Nemont and all: Thx so much for the quick replys. Man are you guys getting me pumped. I drew the archery tag for that unit only but Ive been hunting the Gravely Range in MT. off and on for 30 years and this will be a large change for this older Bull ie 53 years old, lol. Breaks and coulees. I have been getting in shape and dont mind getting on my camel if I have to but like to stay planted and let my eyes do the walking mostly. Afew ?s. I am going to Alaska until after labor day and was planning on hunting from Sept 12 until I score or the season runs out. Ill be camping out and most likely hunting lone wolf! Do the Bulls turn on there and bugle large or are they bugle shy? What time frame do they get going? Do the crowds dwindle after the opener? Also Im debating about setting up my camps by boat rather than vehicle since I would like to avoid highly pressured areas. IS this feasable? Im long winded but one more please. I noticed alot of road closures, how does this effect the hunting. Well as always any info is sooo appreciated, keep it coming. Moedogee P.S. My son is a pilot in Alaska Ive spent alot of time in Alaska hunting and fishing so am more than happy to share any info I know about that great state also. Cant say much about sheep though, doing that hopefully before Im in my final bed, ha.

From my experience in the Breaks, the rut is usually between Sept. 10th to 30th. The bulls on the south side of the lake are kinda bugle shy, but you can get them to bugle. I've had more success with cow calls vs. bugles. I've never hunted Unit 631, but we don't see a lot of pressure in 700 during archery - a few hunters, but not a lot. If you have the ability to hunt "up from a boat", it's a great way to do it, if you're in shape and can climb. There's some pretty rough spots, so hopefully you'll be hunting with a partner. Hope this helps...

LAST EDITED ON Aug-06-04 AT 09:26AM (MST)[p]NRof49,

Unfortunately no bowhunting for me. If I take up one more thing Mrs. Nemont may be seeing a good attorney. I know if I took it up I would like it but between 3 month of waterfowl, upland bird and 5 weeks of big game hunting my kitchen pass is pretty well used up.

Plus this is my daughter's first hunting season so I will be concentrating on getting her into the field. She is really excited but I still think I am more excited then her.

If we keep having the nightly thunderstorms here that dump a 1/2 inch of rain there won't be any fire hopefully. There was a pretty good electrical storm moved through here last night. The really amazing thing is that the hills are green and it is the 6th of August. Even the old timers around here don't remember the last time it was green in August.

The lake has dropped over a foot and half from July 1 to today. I wonder if the ramp at Hell Creek will be extended again by hunting season? The ramp at Bonetrail on the north side is still usable but anoth foot will make it pretty marginal. Sad to see all the water blow out of the lake to float a few barges.

Nemont

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom