M1 Garand Ammo

smitty

Very Active Member
Hey everybody. Thought I’d post this here.
Trying to find some M2 Ball ammo for an M1 Garand I just got. From what I understand you’ve gotta feed these guns specific ammo?

let me know what you have to sell.
Thanks.

You can hand load for factory spec ammo for that Garand. You have to avoid some of the faster burning powders that would create hard slamming of the operating rod and possibly bend it.
I am going from memory, but I think the military powder for the 30-06 Garand was H4895 powder. You could use that powder or one that is very close in burning rate to it and load to the velocity of the military ammo. Do not hot rod your loads as you may damage the rifle.
RELH

Standard M2 ball ammo was, I think, 150 grain fmj. Other military ammo used in the M1 Grand was 165 grain match, and 173/175 armor piercing. The three loads should be easy to find by Google, if you handload. Otherwise, with the ammo shortage, Good Luck!

You can hand load for factory spec ammo for that Garand. You have to avoid some of the faster burning powders that would create hard slamming of the operating rod and possibly bend it.
I am going from memory, but I think the military powder for the 30-06 Garand was H4895 powder. You could use that powder or one that is very close in burning rate to it and load to the velocity of the military ammo. Do not hot rod your loads as you may damage the rifle.
RELH
You're on the right track. But it was IMR 4895.

That is what I get going from memory. You are right about it being IMR instead of H. H4895 will also do the job for the 30-06 in the Garand.
RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom