M70 300 Win Mag

LAST EDITED ON Jan-17-12 AT 12:03PM (MST)[p]I hunt with one myself. Winchester listed it as a a new gun in their 1963 catalog with a full page introduction ad. I can copy it and send it to you or someone to post if you want to see it. I don't know how to post a picture here. the wholesale book listed it as the Westerner-Alaskan , which makes sense because it's in between the Westerner ( 264 ) and the Alaskan (338 ).

If you post the first part of the serial number I can tell you within a month of when it was made. they say 63 only but I've seen a few from '62.

Sorry I thought you were sure it was a pre-64, if it doesn't have the claw extractor it's post 64.

My book goes into the early 70's so I should still be able to give you a year if you pm me the front of your serial number.

Thank you . Now I know, always had wondered.My rother said dad bought that gun the year I was born, he got it a few years later. He did buy a .44 carbine the year my brother was born though. I have both and wish Ruger still made them, I would buy another one and put my dads away as I have done with the .300 win mag.

You need to hunt with the 300 once in a while just for nostagia, it isn't going to hurt it. I take my uncles 270 Super Grade he bought new in 1957 out every few years, I remember that gun and him carrying it in some of my first memories.

He's long gone but it takes me back every time I carry it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom