M8 Bass Hill hunt

Fork'n'Horn

Hunt for dad and I was frought with problems from the start. Hit a deer with truck at 4 am going up to scout the week ahead of season opening. Cut a tire sidewall out at 7k' opening morning going up to a bowl to check out some deer we had seen previously still up in the high country. Second evening of the hunt I was lucky enough to cut off a big group of does that had a couple decent bucks with them, nothing huge, and was able to get in close enough to kill a 19.5" 3 pt with my traditional muzzleloader. Weather went from 11* mornings to 75* afternoons by the 4th day of the hunt. All the deer activity and runt activity ground to a halt, so we had a tough time trying to find a buck for dad to shoot that wasn't a dinky fork. Had a mysterious front end squeak in the truck for a couple days that we came in to town to get checked twice and were told it was just dust in the brakes. Dad passed on a couple bucks that I figured he should have probably shot the way things were going, but he had high hopes for the last day. We packed up the hotel and checked out, took a run once more through the wildlife area and blm ground, then ran over mid morning to check an area we got a tip about, that a contact of mine had seen a couple big bucks chasing does in, but as our luck would have it, as we got over towards the west side of our hunt area the squeak noise had turned into a 120 decibel shriek of the front driver side wheel bearing leaving the planet. So we grabbed lunch in Chester and took a tow truck ride back home. Had fun getting out to hunt with dad, but man what a frustrating trip overall 😂

IMG_0535.jpg

20231105_132742.jpg

20231029_174026.jpg

20231103_093729.jpg

20231101_180026.jpg

20231102_070624.jpg

It was frustrating to say the least, I've never had that many problems in one trip before.
You just barely beat me this year. I blew a water pump, had a check engine light come on, and almost drove my truck into a 5 foot deep washed out road but thankfully I stopped short. If I didn’t my kid and I would’ve had to have spent the night, Because we were way back.

You hunted Bass Hill. You have to have enjoyed that, and congrats on the fine buck!
Yeah we had a good time. Way the calendar worked this year the hunt was a few days later than some years and was colder that normal ahead of it opening and for the first few days of the hunt, so I felt like that helped the rut activity and deer moving more or less all day. Was fun and I would hunt it again, not sure if I'd want to burn 7 pts again for it though.

You just barely beat me this year. I blew a water pump, had a check engine light come on, and almost drove my truck into a 5 foot deep washed out road but thankfully I stopped short. If I didn’t my kid and I would’ve had to have spent the night, Because we were way back.
Luckily the wheel bearing was the end of the hunt and not the beginning or we'd have been screwed. I'm happy we didn't have your water pump issue or almost have driven into a 5 feet washout 😂

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom