Madison Valley Damage Hunt

W

wapiti11

Has any one gone and shot a cow. I declined to participate knowing that the wolves are doing enough damage on the elk.
What is everyone else's thoughts?

LAST EDITED ON Feb-04-09 AT 11:57AM (MST)[p]Two things Ive noticed about late hunts down there is a definate lack of marksmanship and a willingness to take bad shots. And there are alot more wolves around than the wolf people want to admit.

48461bbc1c983664.jpg

They sure give short notice, called me on Friday & said yer hunt starts tomorrow. My bro & I got 2. His was 270lb & mine was 320lbs. Been awhile since I had elk meat in the freezer & forgot how good it is. What I heard is there are 7500 elk in the valley & FWP wants 2500. I would rather keep the 7500 than to go that low. I have seen wolves a couple years ago & a few track during the regular season this year but they are shooting a few of those also. Heard em howling on this hunt so they were close. When I got home to WA I had a damage WT doe tag that I declined & if I'd a known I woulda got one on the way home. The drive took longer than the hunt.

Yes there are alot of wolves around, I have hunted the area since 12 years old and the elk have stayed on the same migratory route for years. That has changed and they are staying closer to the winter grounds in the summer. Very few elk in the park like there used to be or should be and no moose around anymore. Those wolves sit on the migratory trails and wait, the elk are figuring this out and not moving as much as they used to.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom