Mail order bow tuning

RabidRattleSnake1

Anybody ever use one of the services where you ship your bow to a shop to get tuned? The local bow shops are terrible. One has nothing but kids working it and they could care less. The other bow shop is so disorganized it is not even funny. Anybody have an experience? Good or bad.

Where are you located and what do you shoot? I am sure its not hard to tune a bow its just a matter of having the right tool, I know in Central Utah there is Jakes and Humphries Archery who do a good job. There is also another one I can get the info on.

?If men were angels, no government would be
necessary.? John Adams

I live in Albuquerque. I used to work in Kansas City a lot with my last job and got spoiled by the shops out there. Talk about top notch. They were 10s while the local shops here are a 3 at best on a scale of 1 to 10. When I flew out there I would drag my bow with me to get worked on. I don't travel much with my new job so that option went out the door.

Problem with mail order tuning is your not the one shooting the bow. There form is almost garenteed different then yours. My advice you be to learn how to do it yourself. Then start up cost can be a price depending of what you get. It's not really that hard to learn the basics of yoke tuning and such. Just be care.... don't get to good. All your buddies will want you to do it for their bows. I got tried of bow shops here in utah. Most of them are just about pumping as many bows out the doors as possible.

Ya I have been considering busting up for a bow press. Tuning and maintenance on a bow is not rocket science, it's just the cost of the press that is of issue. They are not cheap. I might see if I can't get my brother-in-law to split the cost with me. I have been thinking of welding up a receiver hitch mount so I could take it with me on hunts for in the field repairs.

I've used Mike Carter in Missouri. On Archery Talk he is Cracker Archery. He hand built my string, speed tuned, had everything right where I needed it and when I got it back was driving tacks after very minor sight tuning. I believe it was a little more with the shipping and insurance, but when you factor in your time going down to the shop and standing around waiting for some attention it was well worth the extra $. I'm shooting the same string on year 2 and still am very satisfied. you welcome to PM me if you want more information, be advised I doubt any shop right now will give you any attention unless your buying a new bow. Even Mike Carter advised to call them and get on their list, they'll then give you an RA # to put on the box and tell you when to send it to them as they don't want your bow sitting in their shop waiting for them. They want to have it arrive the week they have scheduled for your bow to be worked on. I definitely will do it again. Plus I gained about 4 fps when I got it back.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom