MAKE HUNTING GREAT AGAIN

big2pointer

I actually am encouraged about Nevada?s new trail cam law. Hunting and technology have come along way since the good old days. Fair chase is sort of a grey area now. I feel this trail cam law sets the clock back a few decades. I like that. Set the clock back to when hunting was a family event, a vacation of sorts. All the social media flexing and marketing has gone to far. Let's take it back to the surplus Willy?s Jeep, Winchester 30-30, red plaid blue jeans days.

I Agree!

But Let's See it Enforced!

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

LAST EDITED ON Mar-16-19 AT 07:18AM (MST)[p]I am Ok with it as well. But I have never used one. I am sure the ones that do will scream: "Big Brother sucks" Outfitters will probably scream the loudest. I wouldn't be surprised if someone sues for restriction of trade or some other reason

It probably makes the most sense in a state with limited huntable areas and very limited water. I am sure many water holes have cams on every available limb.

That said, I can foresee many breaking the rule and also many "breaking" trail cams that are still there. elk: I am sure there will be plenty of "enforcers"

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Although we can never bring back the past and replicate the exact hunting culture post WWll, we can limit technology and increase opportunity. I don't know why we have an all out war on every last mature buck standing. Decrease abilities of take and increase hunter numbers. Technology has just made people too effective at hunting. Everyone I know that hunts, has a gun capable of accurately killing at 600 yards plus when 250 yards used to be a long shot.

I live in Nevada.

I have a trail camera that I have used and enjoy. It is neat putting it up to see what's out there.

I have used it while hunting.

I am not upset with the law at all. I like it.

This is not going to impact the average Joe hunter that goes out with his wife and kids for the weekend a couple times a year to chase deer.

It will impact the outfitters and large groups of friends that have 50 trail cameras between them,who share information about Evey last animal, then bombard an area with 15 guys to look for a buck, bull or ram for the one guy with a tag. All of that just to get Instafamous, and make a name for themselves, then become a famous guide.

Years ago, there weren't nearly as many guides as there are now. Subguides that is. It is pretty crazy.

Trailcam is a good start and could add a few additional restrictions to the list.

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

>LAST EDITED ON Mar-16-19
>AT 07:18?AM (MST)

>
>I am Ok with it as
>well. But I have never
>used one. I am
>sure the ones that do
>will scream: "Big Brother sucks"
>Outfitters will probably scream the
>loudest. I wouldn't be
>surprised if someone sues for
>restriction of trade or some
>other reason
>
>It probably makes the most sense
>in a state with limited
>huntable areas and very limited
>water. I am sure many
>water holes have cams on
>every available limb.
>
>That said, I can foresee many
>breaking the rule and also
>many "breaking" trail cams that
>are still there. elk: I
>am sure there will be
>plenty of "enforcers"

Some For Sure!:D

>
>txhunter58
>
>venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore
>I am)

>Trailcam is a good start and
>could add a few additional
>restrictions to the list.
>
>"Courage is being scared to death
>but
>saddling up anyway."

A Few?

You mean alot!:D

>I was with you all the
>way until you had to
>go and throw the red
>plaid in.

It Was Worn PROUDLY bob!

I like it.

As to enforcement, just make it so any cam found Aug 2 is considered abandoned, and free for possession. OR

A $5 stamp per camera that must be displayed on front of cam with an ID #

The stamp money can go to dwr. Then any cam found after will come with a nice citation traceable to the owner.

We all know how much guides care about conservation when it comes to auction tags for there clients, can't imagine they would complain about a stamp on their cams.

"I don't care if the season is closed. Get off your butt and go hunt them"

TRISTATE
3/11/19

From the party of HUNTIN, FISHIN, PUBLIC LAND.

>Jeep, Winchester 30-30, red plaid
>blue jeans days.

OK........BUT the slippery slope begins..
Personally I want an early Bronco, a 30-40 Krag, SOLID red shirt...
OK with Levi's

I am totally for this, what I can't seem to get through to so many people is restrictions on technology equals opportunity for everyone. This is a good start but hope it gets expanded to other things such as our weapons.

I have 4 trail cams, and I have them out all year but they never influence an up coming hunt.... I like to see whats out there in the summer. And I really love my winter range pics of the big uns that made it through the season. And you never know what you will get. I have rabbits, turkeys, skunks, coons, bobcats, Mt. Lion, bear, big horn, and of coarse Elk and Deer... Haven't got Bigfoot...YET. Its a fun hobbie to try and find the perfect spot to place one that will get pics and not get stolen. And knock on wood never had one stolen. This is a laughable law that can't be enforced its a feel good law.... everything now a days is about feel good.

25990screenshot20190317091611gallery.jpg

And then there's Utah.
No doubt there were trail cams set up to watch over this chum pile!

Interesting post - would be nice to see some changes that put the hunt back into hunting. As far as those not abiding by the rules, hope it doesn't turn in to tune-ups - remember that when 4-wheelers were in areas they were not suppose to be.

I would argue that just because something is hard to enforce doesn't mean it's not worth having. Most will follow the rules.
We aren't suppose to poach either yet there are so few law enforcement they can't possibly cover everywhere and there are lots of poachers that never get caught. Does that mean we get rid of poaching laws? I think we need to go beyond trail cameras but I'm for it as a start. Just my opinion.

>Interesting post - would be nice
>to see some changes that
>put the hunt back into
>hunting. As far
>as those not abiding by
>the rules, hope it doesn't
>turn in to tune-ups -
>remember that when 4-wheelers were
>in areas they were not
>suppose to be.

Remember When?

It's Still Happening!

It might be hard to enforce thru normal channels, but if enough people agree with the rule and still see cameras out, they will enforce the rule.

Are you going to report that your ILLEGAL camera was smashed or stolen? After awhile, you will see less and less.

What surprises me is that there wasn't an "outfitters exemption". Guess they don't have as much pull in Nevada as most states

txhunter58

>

>And then there's Utah.
>No doubt there were trail cams
>set up to watch over
>this chum pile!

There are a lot of Utah folks on this website that get all riled up about the Texas troll telling him to go back to sitting over his corn flinger. Well, the fact that sitting in a tent over a pile of Granny Smiths is total fine in Utah puts you about par with Texas. All you are missing is the 10' fence. The trail cams around this pile are lame but they are the least stupid thing about this practice. I am stunned this is allowed in Utah and that the fine Sportsmen in Utah have not sent this practice back to Texas.

>
>>Jeep, Winchester 30-30, red plaid
>>blue jeans days.
>
>OK........BUT the slippery slope begins..
>Personally I want an early Bronco,
>a 30-40 Krag, SOLID red
>shirt...
>OK with Levi's

Sounds good but a early bronco will set you back 20K plus these days.

This thread has to be in the running for lamest post of the year.

If you think hunting is not a family event then that is your fault not technology. The number of big game tags issued out west today is double or triple than what it was in the 1960s. So if you can't find a place to hunt out west, that is your fault not technology. I don't buy the argument that technology has replaced opportunity.

Their has not been a better time to be a succesful hunter than today. Technology has made life great with gear getting lighter and lighter while keeping us warmer and dryer. Technology has made our weapon systems and optics more reliable and efficient. Social media has done great things in propping up the hunting industry to provide more opportunities for a person to make a decent living doing it year round.

Nothing is stopping you from hunting with an open sight 30-30 and a flannel shirt. Just don't make me do it. Some of us don't want to go back to living in a cave.

I can see we need a lot more MMers who need to try a flat brimmed hat ;)

Wow, it took this long to get a negative. Amazing

But Gorilla, you could also hunt from your computer and use your mouse to pull the trigger on a gun that kills an animal. That was actually done for awhile in Texas!! Until we made that practice illegal.

I bet you, like me, would be against allowing that? If that is not correct, then we really don't see eye to eye. If we agree, then you admit there is a limit on how we can use technology. We just have to decide where to draw that line. For many in Nevada, they decided to draw it at trail cams, and I applaud them.

For me, an arid land with a trail cam hanging on every bush at most water holes is the logical place to draw that line.

Outlawing trail cams does nothing to limit hunting as a family event, and may even enhance it.

txhunter58

>

>And then there's Utah.
>No doubt there were trail cams
>set up to watch over
>this chum pile!

Is this one of those "where's the apple tree" pics? I hate to admit, but I don't see it. It's gotta be right there! :D :D

>84 post gorilla tells us what
>is lame? Laffin. mtmuley

Right...so your post count is some how directly correlated to the validity of an argument/opinion. In that case I need to spend a lot more time on the internet to improve my keyboard warrior skills.

BTW You can now refer to me as 85 post Gorilla. Only 4677 more to go to reach your level ;)

RE:txhunter58

You are right, we will leave it up to the Texas boys to push the line. It won't be long before someone in Texas figures out how to arm a commercial grade aerial drone with a gun so a hunter can fill his tag from the comfort of the lodge.

Just to be clear I don't hunt Nevada and I don't use trail cams, so I could care less about Nevada's new law. What I was calling out as lame is all the support of the idea that technology in general has ruined hunting and the fix is to go back to 1960.

It only makes sense to eliminate trail cams, but in Utah how do you convince the RAC's and the BGB to do what is right. A ticket to the JAZZ game given to them by a guide service, a trip in the mountains with the guide service, a tip where they may find a big buck, or even a hat. Utah has become worse of catering to the RICH AND GUIDE SERVICE FAMOUS than any state I know. Call your congressperson, call the governor, call your RAC representative, and especially get ahold of the BGB individuals and tell them of your displeasure. I have friends who all use trail cameras, but without exception, all agree they should be eliminated for the sake of the animals. These professionals have these largest animals named before they are even shot and they do it - - through game cameras.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-19-19 AT 12:14PM (MST)[p]So with your 86 post you bash Texans. Not really an intelligent way to persuade people to your views. A PERSON came up with that idea, and the people of Texas banned it.

But again, you prove my point. There are tech advances that go too far and detract from the experience of hunting. We just disagree about where that line is. And as far as drones, they have already had to make laws banning their use in scouting or hunting activities.

txhunter58

I personally think hunting deer and elk in Utah is as good as I've ever had it.
It probably comes down to how you decide to handle the situation at hand.
I don't need to make it great again, it already is.

see my latest wildlife pictures on I.G.
Follow me @ antler_chaser_

Like the law. Toothpaste is out of the tube in utah. Just have to hope the other western states don't increase their own pimping of wildlife to Utah's level. Probably going to happen. Hunting in the west won't be for the common man for long.

I agree with Gorilla on some things, some things not.

What trail cams do is discourage others from hunting an area as they interpret it as "claiming their spot". In reality, the governing bureaucracy has jurisdiction on how long a trail cam can be placed. In USFS, you can only have your property placed for no more than 14 days, then you have to move it. Same concept for BLM.

Economic prosperity is what has changed hunting. Back in the blue jeans and red plaid days, most guys were just doing what they could to raise a family. Now, a lot of hunters have much more leisure time and cash flow to invest in the latest equipment that near post WWII hunters could only have dreamed of being able to afford.

Social media is the next culprit. Don't believe me, look to the right of these threads on this very webpage. It's all about the inches now...

Taking away my range finder and better performing rifle/bow with scope/sight will only cause me (meant to be understood as 'generic hunter') to miss more or wound more.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-22-19 AT 07:46AM (MST)[p]Some good points Roadrunner.

However" "In USFS, you can only have your property placed for no more than 14 days"

That has not been obeyed or enforced anywhere I know of. So while I don't want to go back to throwing a spear, I think the trailcam is a good place to draw the line in some areas.

txhunter58

Technology is killing us game cameras are 10% of the problem compared to Bows shooting out there at 100 yards muzzleloader shooting 500 yards and rifles shooting out there at 1500 yards long range is 90% of the problem.

I run a few cameras and I know a lot of other people that do also but we have found that your really only checking to see what the quality is that is on the mountain

come hunting season there gone I don't know why I even bother leaving them up there it doesn't do me any good if they band them trust me you won't see any difference until we regulate the big problem

we have to start somewhere if they band trail cameras I'm in it won't hurt my feelings

"That has not been obeyed or enforced anywhere I know of. So while I don't want to go back to throwing a spear, I think the trailcam is a good place to draw the line in some areas."

If the Rangers know where they are they will just pull them for you after 14 days.

I know people who have been ticketed while elk hunting for being at one spot for 15 days.

I also know of some Rangers who pull treestand when they find them in place way after the season is over so the hunter/outfitter doesn't lose "their" spot.

Roadrunner. I am glad they are enforcing the law in your area. Hasn?t been the case where I hunt in Colorado. I have seen the camps straight thru multiple seasons on main roads and nothing is done.

And if that rule was being enforced with trail cams there would be no reason to have this new law.

txhunter58

Utah.....more changes?!
Utah changes so many things so often that I can barely keep up.? I wouldn't be surprised
Let alone
The state actually keep things the same long enough to even see what the results or the impacts of said changes.

"Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak. So
we must and we will."
Theadore Roosevelt

There trash in the forest, I will keep removing them. I wish Idaho would jump on board. When you see the radical enviromentalists using them to monitor people coming in and out of wolf country all of you would change your mind. There watching hunters not animals. You know whats lame Utah hunters baiting Mule Deer with oranges with 10 cameras hanging on trees around them.

>There are big changes being heavily
>discussed in Utah as far
>as "Technology" is concerned.....it's coming.
>

Do tell...

>Utah.....more changes?!
>Utah changes so many things so
>often that I can barely
>keep up.? I wouldn't be
>surprised
>Let alone
>The state actually keep things the
>same long enough to even
>see what the results or
>the impacts of said changes.
>
>
This has been my exact point for many years BillyBoB!?

>Does the tech involve spotters...?

I feel the pain of "spotters" on our public lands as well, but I cannot even wrap my brain about how to deal with that.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom