Makin Bacon

philthy

Guess in my older years I've wanted to get back to my childhood, so I decided to make bacon like I used to do with my Daddy and PaPaw when I was a kid. About 11 lbs of fresh skin-off pork belly, cut into 4 pieces.

Used 1 tablespoon Morton's Tender Quick, 1 tablespoon brown sugar and 1 teaspoon course ground black pepper per pound. Dry rubbed, put in ziplock bags, then into the fridge. Massage and flip the bags every day for the recommended 8-10 days until the meat firms up. Because of a deer hunt, I ended up letting mine go for 11 days.

Before smoking, I rinsed off the excess rub and test fried a piece or two (or three haha!) to make sure it was ready. The interesting thing I've learned is store bought bacon is brine cured and that's why there's a disappearing act when it's fried. This stuff shrank maybe 15-20%.

Fired up my smoker and let it cook for about 4 hours at 180 degrees over apple wood. Being I grew up in Southeast Texas as a kid, I just HAD to throw in a couple smaller hickory limbs.

One of the things that's always bugged me is forgetting about a half package of store bought and having it go bad. This time, I put 11 lbs into 20 bags. Problem solved!

Anyway, it was pretty darn easy to do and the result is off the charts! Oh, I hung the bacon with sisal cord after cutting a slit thru the meat....that's the way I do ribs now since it lets all those awesome pig drippins coat the outside while cooking. :)

7413002.jpg

416005.jpg

6146003.jpg

8202001.jpg

Just about any decent meat market should have it...make sure it's un-salted (fresh). It was 3.99 a pound here at a market in Albuquerque and I need to see if it's a little more reasonable at the mexican meat markets. I've been invited to kill off a bunch of feral pigs down in the bootheel of NM on a 74 section ranch after the first of the year and I'm planning to take full advantage of that!

I just finished a 12 lb ham I made from a fresh shoulder this week and it's some of the best I've ever had.

I am from Phoenix and out in Queen Creek we have the "Pork Shop". I called them today and they have it. Man I would really love to get in on some of that feral hog action. I do have a javelina tag for this coming Feb. I'll see how that works too.

It's really cool to see how so many folks are enjoying my forum. Keep the great chow recipes coming ya'all.

http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_13010.jpg[/img][/url]

This was awesome! After sharing some a buddy tells me to try the same and add a cup of molasses to it. Try that also it was great!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom