Malta Montana

F

Family Man (Guest)

Anybody have an opinion on mule deer hunting around Malta Montana. A friend is talking to me about joining him for a hunt around there Thanksgiving weekend but its about a 14 hour round trip drive for me and I'd probably only drive that far if chances were at least fair of seeing some Monster Muleys.

Thanks for any input.

Mark

We are having an above average horn year. I have yet to see anything I would consider a monster. I haven't heard of anyone comming home with a monster. The rut isn't really in full swing yet so its hard to say what could be lurking in the bushes. The breaks closed to mule deer hunting on sunday so if you were planning on hunting there its out.

Just got back from Malta on Friday, we were hunting down on the lake at Forchet bay, not sure how its spelled. Seen a lot of nice bucks we killed three without any problems. the biggest being a 25 inch 7x5, Ill have the pictures back soon. Seen lots of bucks on the gravel between Malta and the lake, lots of blm land and block management land in there. Good luck.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-19-03 AT 10:15AM (MST)[p]Depends on if you want to hunt north or south of Malta. I would say you will have better chance this year of finding a Monster buck. We had good spring moisture and the bucks seem to be a little bigger and better this year because of it. The rut is kicking in hard and heavy now so the big boys are active.
my .02 worth.
Nemont

I just got back on monday from right around that area
we saw alot of mule deer and a few really nice deer including a 30" 4x4 and i shot a nice white tail
good luck

Very interseting. Wasn't your tag good for mule deer or was the big guy off on private land? Either way, thanks for leaving him there for me!!!

Mark

I was Western MT of the rifle opener and saw no good bucks. I have been thinking about driving all the way out there (31 hours) by myself thanksgiving to try and get my first mulie. Would this area give me a decent chance at a average 4x4? I just want a mulie. I have a hunt planned for KS the first week of Dec. and I could drive to MT and hit KS on the way back.

I could not beleive all the small forkies and 3x3's that I passed others were shooting. It was just like hunting in my home state of MI.

I hate to let my tag go to waste.

Bob

My geography must be messed up if KS is on the way back to MI:)

Anyway, it depends on what you mean by an average 4x4. I think you could tag an average 4x4 for this area. Especially with the rut on. The big boys are active now and have one thing on their minds.
Nemont

If you're looking for a 22-24" 150-160 class buck, you have a good chance. Anything much bigger than that luck will play an important role.

NeMont, your right KS is not exactly on the way back I would be detouring south a bit.

For a guy who has never shot a mule deer. I would take anything that would look good on the wall. I don't need a 23" or bigger deer to be happy. I just want my first mule deer bigger then all the forkies and 3x3's I saw the first week of season. I would even take a whitetail if it came down to it.

With the limited time and not going guided it would be crazy to expect bigger.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom