Manti late elk, 2019

Robiland

Very Active Member
So I got on here a few months ago and asked for some help from you all on this late hunt. I had a few good responses and messages and I thank you ALL for that. I was familiar with this unit, just not the late season and where the elk would be. We had a great time. The tag was for my friend and neighbor. He wasnt picky from the begging, just wanted a bull and a 6 point if possible. We were able to accomplish all of that.

I was supposed to be up there scouting a few times and so was he. He went a few times and never really found much. I was unable to go. I ended up with a sick wife and running back and forth to the LDS hospital 3 times a week from October to November, 5 weeks worth. My last a trip was bad and was supposed to be done by 10AM so I could get up the mountain and find some elk. I ended up showing up right at the last 10 minutes of light and my friend Matt was in the last spot we wanted to check and was pulled over on the side of the road in the snow. I came around the corner pulling the trailer on a hill and tried to stop. Finally did, as he was all smiles. He had spotter a herd of 60+ elk a long ways off. But that was all we needed. We set up camp and made plans for the morning.

AS the alarm went off at 5 AM, we ate and got ready. Pulled out and only drove the SxS downt the road 1/4 mile to the ridge we needed to hike down. We took off and I was pushing it along with my son Fisher. Matt and his son were behind us, but I didnt realize I was dang near jogging (LOL) since I was so excited and I didnt even have the tag. They were a little out of shape and we slowed down so that they didnt puke.

As it was getting light, we reached the ridge we wanted to be on. I threw up the glasses and immediately spotted elk moving through the trees. I spotted 2 or 3 spikes and a 3 different 5x5's that were all smaller. Then after about 5 minutes, I put the spotter on another bull. It was a bigger 5x5 and we were debating to shoot it. Then I saw that it barely split at the back and decided we should shoot him. Ranged him at 780 yards. AS we made a plan, my son Fisher spotted another bull that we hadnt seen yet, but had heard it bugle a few times. With excitement, we found that he was a 6x6. So we dropped down the ridge to a bench and ranged again. 580 yards and that was going to be it. There happened to be a giant rock perfect height to set up on.

Matt missed the 1st shot, just over it back. And in the video, you can hear us talk. He re adjusted because of the angle and made the 2nd shot count. Dropped in his tracks. He was shooting a custom load and custom built 308, 178 grain hornady eld-x.

Now to see if I Can get the pics and video to load.

Matt and his son were very excited with the bull. He was not worried about score, just wanted to kill a 6 point bull and get the meat. And that is what we did. My son Fisher was a champ on this hunt. Spotting, hiking, cutting, packing and doing so much. He lives and dies for this stuff. His 2nd elk packout of the season.

https://youtu.be/pM8mpgkU6i0

https://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos_2019/12494mattsbull1.htm

51091mattsbull2.jpg

90433mattsbull4.jpg

76065mattsbull5.jpg

5487mattsbull6.jpg

43514mattsbull7.jpg

49020mattsbull8.jpg

4327mattsbull9.jpg

I hope these all work. Enjoy the pics. Thanks for the tips!!!

Landon R

Nice Job Robi & Guys!

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

Looks like a Perty Good Battle Wound on His Back?

Could you Guys tell what it was from?

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

I think the wound was from an arrow. It had a smaller scar on the other side. And while skinning it, it had a channel through there, kind of like a tube. Like the diameter of an arrow. But no blade marks. Maybe could have been a rifle too, just flew right through it.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom