Maps

nooch

Can anyone tell me how accurate the maps are that tell all the public and private lands are. Like the ones that have the colored squares. I just ordered one for unit 99 for antelope. I just wanted to know if I can trust the maps . Thanks.

You can if your capable of reading them correctly. If you feel your map reading skills are not quite up to snuff I'd buy a GPS and a land ownership chip and not have to guess if your not in the right spot or not.

I'd strongly suggest you do what WF said and get a Garmin and a chip as it's not easy to get on the ground out there and know exactly where you are just by looking at a map. Many times fences have nothing to do with property lines and a lot of people get into trouble because of that.

I'll 3rd the GPS chip. Its a must for checkerboard and a great tool anywhere. Like Topgun said many places don't have fences between public and private. This means you almost have to guess where the line is without the GPS card.

The chip Are 100 bucks I use both a hard map and state chip in my garmin. The chips are especially fun when ranchers try to run you off public land, and they will. A quick look at your screen usually ends the issue calmly and positively.

Thanks for all the information . It helps tremendously .. It looks like I will have to look into a GPS and some chips.

Private land does NOT have to be fenced in Wyoming(or posted). It's your responsibility to know where you're at.

That GPS will be worth every penny.

I would not trust the maps either. I know of two places where lands are labeled as BLM or Forest Service that are dead wrong. One place has 6 sections of BLM colored yellow and those are deeded sections that were traded out in a land swap in the 70's or 80's. Garmin is a lot safer and better.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-01-13 AT 07:20AM (MST)[p]>I would not trust the maps
>either. I know of
>two places where lands are
>labeled as BLM or Forest
>Service that are dead wrong.
> One place has 6
>sections of BLM colored yellow
>and those are deeded sections
>that were traded out in
>a land swap in the
>70's or 80's. Garmin
>is a lot safer and
>better.

***That's exactly right in that if you buy an older map and they don't have an addendum sheet with it to show recent land purchases/exchanges you are screwed. The GPS chip can be updated on a regular basis right over the internet at a reasonable fee by hooking up the GPS to your computer with the USB cable that comes with it. You don't need a GPS with all the bells and whistles. The cheapest Garmin with a colored screen that takes a chip is all you need. I went up a little bit from there and bought a Legend HCx a year ago for $153 through Amazon.com and it worked great last Fall. The Wyoming chip now also has Idaho and Montana on it, so it's a pretty good deal for $100 when the same price was charged for each state not too long ago.

I think the GPS's are great, but always have an up to date blm map and a gazetteer if you can. I have had one instance where I pulled the GPS out on a rancher only to find that he was correct and the GPS was wrong. The BLM map and gazetteer showed the land was private, while my gps showed the land was state. It all depends on what map Garmin used to make the map.

I would buy the chip from the Wy Game and Fish website. I think it is the same one the Wardens use. Bought one from them and used it along with a hard copy BLM map last year. You really need both of them to know if your are in the right place. gf.state.wy.us

LAST EDITED ON Aug-03-13 AT 07:15AM (MST)[p]>I would buy the chip from
>the Wy Game and Fish
>website. I think it
>is the same one the
>Wardens use. Bought one
>from them and used it
>along with a hard copy
>BLM map last year.
>You really need both of
>them to know if your
>are in the right place.
> gf.state.wy.us

***There is only one company making those chips and it doesn't matter whether you buy it from them, the WYG&F, or any other website because they are all the same chip. The G&F bought all the Wardens a Garmin and that chip within the last two years and they are using them to investigate any trespassing complaints they receive. I think it's best to buy it right from the company and to register on their website www.huntinggpsmaps.com

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom