Maps

4_Plesur

I'm planning my hunts for this year and while I know the area pretty well. I want to double check some information (public and private lands).

I was watching on the outdoor channel and they had a special about public and private lands. A hunter might come to a fence and it may be private land on the other side OR it may be public land(game feeding fence). If it's private, it doesn't have to be posted. You just never know unless you have really dug deep in the maps.

Where could I get this information? County clerks office? DWR?
Anyone have experience with researching this stuff?

What I do is purchase USGS 15-minute quadrangle maps of the area I will be hunting. These show complete topographic information such as contour lines, creeks, springs, lakes, roads, and certain power lines and fences. I then buy the BLM map for the area and transfer the property lines shown on the BLM map onto the USGS map. This, while time consuming, is not difficult because property lines typically follow section lines, or are quarter or half way between sections. This is also a great way to become familiar with the terrain and features of the property you will be hunting. I then carry the USGS map with me while hunting to keep from getting lost and so that I can have some idea of "what is over that next ridge" just by looking at the map. Takes a little bit of practice, but again not that difficult to learn how to read the map. By following on the USGS map where it is that you are hiking, you will always know whether you are on public or private property.

Mark

It depends on where you hunt. In CO it does not have to be posted, in AZ it does.

It's Bush's fault!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom