Marco Polo and Ibex

alaska_bou

LAST EDITED ON Mar-06-13 AT 09:40AM (MST)[p]Sure is good to be back home in Wyoming after nearly three weeks in central Asia. After two previous trips to the country of Kyrgyzstan for ibex this was my first for argali. Temps ranged from -45 to +35, very brutal but what a great experience!

8792img_0738.jpg

I took these two ibex this past October. I would highly recommend the hunt to anyone looking for a great adventure and an incredible mountain hunt!

3739img_0547.jpg

3669img_0458.jpg

And lastly a photo of my first ibex taken down the mountain by an avalanche from a November hunt three years ago..

1520firstibex.jpg

That's a dream hunt right there. Congratulations.

How about a little more info. Who did you go with ? Any troubles while traveling ? Any pointers for a first timer ? That bucket list hunt for me is getting closer and I would appreciate any info.

Congrats on the multiple trophies you've taken there.

I did the hunt in Nov of 2011 and I shot 2 ibex. My bud shot a MP and an ibex as well.
Quite an adventure on those hunts.

------------------
DRSS

AK_bou,
Those are fine trophies!
Most of us can't even relate, because a hunt like those are so far out of reach.
Congratulations. Perhaps we can at least dream!

Friend of our family did those two in Afghanistan in '79 right before the Russians showed up...and they've been on my dream hunt list ever since I first saw 'em.

Congrats on expanding your horizons and an excellent adventure!

I'm oozing jealousy right now. I also would like to know who you went with for the ibex and MP hunt. Did you use the same outfitter, recommended days to go, cost???

Thank you everyone, I appreciate the kind words. I hunted ibex once during early November, again a few years later in early October and hunted the sheep only a few weeks ago in mid-February. I would strongly recommend the months of October or November for either specie. The quality of hunting and the over-all experience is more enjoyable during the fall months. Feel free to send me an IM if I can help with any questions if anyone is considering this hunt.

Awesome job...last year when I was killing myself in the bitter cold of Krygistan in Jan on my Ibex hunt I saw pictures of those on Sept-Oct hunts and thought what am I even more nuts than usual...FOR sure if I was to do it again I would do it in milder weather...and even better if there is a time of years the mountains get a little flatter. ...even better.

Great job...for me the two top trophies in the world are Marco Polo and Cape Buff...

Beautiful Sheep and those are some stud Ibex

October and November are the ideal months for comfort however the quality of hunting appears to stay consistent all season long if hunters are prepared when they arrive. The quality of gear hunters take will either make or break this type of hunt. Because the game has always been so plentiful in close proximity to the main camp we never had a need to "spike out" on any of the three trips to get into higher numbers of game.

The most grueling aspect to these hunts are the extensive travel that seemingly never ends. Four airline flights are the minimum to fly from Casper, WY to Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan followed by a 12-20 hour jeep ride to get to the hunting area and countless hours of horseback riding each hunting day. Each day is an adventure to say the least!

Ibex are absolutely one of the best values in mountain hunting and likely the least expensive hunt a person can find in Asia however I feel this will likely soon change. Ibex prices in Mongolia have doubled in the last seven years or so, I suspect ibex hunts in Kyrgyzstan are heading in the same direction. Although the airfare presents a significant cost ($1,500 - $2,200r/t) there are almost no additional expenses aside from personal spending and tips. We always take our trophies home with us as checked luggage on the airlines and have never had a problem doing so.

Great hunt there A_B!
Super trophies taken under harsh conditions are always sweeter.
Well done mountain hunter!
Zeke

Congrats on some great ibex. My first international hunt was for Ibex in Kyrg. What an awesome adventure! I've been hooked on the goats and sheep of the World ever since.

Who did you book thru and what area did you hunt?? I know a few people who went over last year and they said a lot of hunters were having a hard time killing good rams. Also piles of winter kill rams.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom