Marlin X7 Experience

jimbowsai

Anybody have any experience with these. I have an oppurtunity to pick one up for $240. I don't know anybody that has one. I have done some research on the web which leads me to believe for that kind of money it wouldn't be too bad. Let me know if you have any experience good or bad. Thanks!

I had one in .270 and put an aftermarket laminate stock on it. It was a very accurate rifle with factory core lokts. Overall I like the rifle, but the deal breaker for me was that the bolt does not lock shut when the safety is on. I don't like that for a hunting rifle so sold it. If that doesn't bother you, you can't beat them for the price.

I have one in .308, put a Boyd's laminate thumbhole stock on it, I have killed several nice bucks and a bunch of coyotes with it.

Rut

I bought one 2 years ago for my 12 year old grandson. It was the youth model in 7mm-08 cal. I left the sny. stock on the gun, but glass bedded the action and trigger guard. I also replaced the plastic trigger guard with a after market metal one.

The first trial load I worked up for it was using a Sierra Pro Hunter 140 gr. bullet backed by 41 gr. of H-4895 for 2800 fps. Did not want the kid dealing with too much recoil back then.
That load on the first grouping printed 3 bullets into a 1/2 inch group at 100 yards. Did not go any further on working up a hunting load for him after those results.
Nosler partition loads are almost as accurate when I later worked up a load using those bullets, about 3/4 inch groups.

Well worth the low cost, you get more then what you should expect for the price. A lot of guys on the Marlin web site reported very good results on the accuracy of the Marlin X7 rifle.

RELH

They tend to be accurate and have good barrels. The trigger, on the other hand, and lack of locking bolt make them a real PITA for serious use. If it is just something to knock around the truck, etc, then they are probably a good buy. I had a 30.06, but sold mine.
Bill

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom