Math Wiz's and Deep Cycle Battery help for hunt

stillhunterman

Hey fellas,

Seems my son has sleep apnea, pretty bad from what the sleep study showed. Soooo, he has to use the machine each night as he only gets a couple hours of quality sleep without it, let alone the chance of not ever waking up again!

The gizmo pulls 7amps of juice to run on full mode, 4 amps if the humidifier is shut off. We will be tenting it so neither of us want to hear a generator run for 7 hrs, but that may be our only choice. I was thinking a deep cycle batter might do the trick. Anyone know how to calculate how long the batter will last pulling 7amps? I can charge it up when we get back to camp with the generator. Just sucks for him to deal with this.

Anyway, any help from you engineer/math wiz's would be a great help, or other ideas as well.

Thanks and hope you all have memorable hunts this year!

www.unitedwildlifecooperative.org

7 amps is going to drain it pretty fast. Thats 840 watts. A hair dryer or microwave is around 1000 watts for comparison. I would recommend getting a little honda generator and a long extension cord. I have one and you can have a conversation right next to it without raising your voice. Hope that helps.

I have the same problem. I have two batterys in my trailer, no problem to get thru the night. I have used only one battery but it was all the way down in the morning.
Don

If the generator thing doesn't work for you. Goal Zero has a set up just for that. It a solar panel that mounts on a dolly that charges a inverter and it recharges it with the sun. I may cost a little more then a Honda generator. But it uses no gas and its quiet. I belive they call it the Yeti.
8850yetikit.jpg

Here it is. Just another option for you.

I have severe sleep apnea also and when I go hunting/camping I leave the humidifier at home, use a deep cell battery and charge it as needed during the day with a honda generator. The longest I have used the battery without charging is three nights of sleep then top it off during the day. I believe it was down to 60% charge on the third night. When I first was diagnosed with it, I used one of those jump start battery packs for only single nights, a lot lighter to carry around. Good luck to you and your son, keep him on that CPAP it makes a world of difference.

a Buddy of mine uses two Golf Cart batteries hooked together. Seems to go 3-4 days without charging it.

That what we use in our toy haulers. Is two 6 volt golf cart batteries hooked together to make 12 volts. They sell at costco for about 80.00 bucks a piece. Then you need a inverter to get your 120 volts out of the batteries. I have to solar panels and a charge on the roof of my trailer. I dont need to use my generator much anymore. Good luck.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-12-12 AT 07:22PM (MST)[p]If humidifier is turned off that's 4 amps x 120 volts =480 watts
a Honda 1000 generator is a 1000 watt generator running at max. with it pulling 480 watts it will run pretty quite if its on economy mode. You might not be able to hear it with a 50 foot extension coord and the exhaust pointed away from camp. I use them every day for work. You could probably quiet it down some more by placing it in a big wooden box so the sound goes straight up or away from camp.

How many Watt-Hours in a battery?: Watts are pretty simple - it is just battery voltage times amp-hours. A 12 volt 105 AH battery can supply (under perfect conditions and to 100% discharge) 12 x 105, or 1260 Watt-hours (1.26KWH). So you are using 480 watts an hour. You under ideal conditions might get 2 hours a battery. Hook two of them together and you might get 4 hours.

Id go with a generator if it were me. You will still need to run it for several hours to charge it anyways and like I said the new hondas are dang quiet. You probably wont even hear it 50 feet or less away.

Can we update this forum so posting with a
phone is easier?

you could use some deep cycle batteries but your talking hooking all them up in series..thats a lot of batteries to get ahold of... there are geneartors that are pretty quiet anymore

LAST EDITED ON Sep-12-12 AT 08:41PM (MST)[p]I have a CPAP machine that I use with a Honda 2000i generator. Very quiet and if you run a longer extension cord with it, you'll never hear a thing. Especially if you put an ear plug in one ear and lay the other ear on your pillow (so you can hear if you lift your head). You son won't hear it because the CPAP makes more noise than the generator, especially if your the one wearing the mask.

I own two of these Hondas so I can run them in series and power my air conditioner. I won't be needing two of them until next summer so you can borrow one if you'd like.

>What is the voltage that it
>runs at 7 amps? 120v
>or 12v?
>Jay

It plugs into the wall at your house so that would be 120

Can we update this forum so posting with a
phone is easier?

i just used my deep cell battery from my trailer, with an inverter. my batteries have 95 amp hrs so when new they should provide roughly 3 nights of sleep a peice.

How to start an argument online:
1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

LAST EDITED ON Nov-27-12 AT 12:19PM (MST)[p]i had my 3 yr old deep cyle trailer batterys tested at national battery and they said they were about 70% good. after 4 nights on the same battery it still ran my CPAP. no need to run a generator during the night. you might need one to charge your batterys after a week or so. other option would be to use your invertor to charge your battery if you drive to your hunting spot each morning and night.

NOTE: i did not use the humidifier

How to start an argument online:
1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom