mauser 98

oldoregon

Very Active Member
can an 8mm mauser 98k be bored out to .338 win mag?

Later Yall!!!!
mule-deer.gif

No, the grove diameter of a 8mm (~.323) is way to close to the bore diameter of a 338.(~.330) The "minimum" you need for a rebore is about .200 bigger in diameter. I would suggest going to a 35 Whelen...

There are way to many thigs to consider to make that kind of transition 8mmx57 to 338WM... The barrle could be junk to begin with, it may shoot ok now, but once you start tinkering with it you could have problems. I personally would never rebore a military barrel. There are way to many uncontrollable variables with the metal.

You would be far better off to rebarrel rather than rebore a M98, especially if you want to go to a mag. I would consider sending it off and getting it chambered for a 30-06 family case a 338-06 would be pretty close to 338wm velocitys and you won't have to modify the action.

Going from a "standard" length case and case head to a mag will require the action to be drastically modified, i.e. feed rails, bolt face, magazine box, follower etc, not to mention feeding and extracting problems...M98 weren't designed for mag length cartrages... You're looking at the least $400 worth of work, plus you would have to put a new barrle on so toss in another $400 for the barrle and work...and probably a new stock, there's another $100+ Now you got yourself a $150 dollar gun with 800-1000 dollars worth of work in it, and if you're lucky you sell it for $400!

You would be much better off going with a new rifle in 338wm if thats what you really want, save yourself some money and time... Gun doctors are about as speedy as taxidermists when it comes to working of stuff, expect at least 6 months+. If you have you heart set on a mauser type action, look at a Winchester, CZ, Ruger etc. You can pick up a Ruger 77MII at wally world for about $480...CZ's are just a little more and IMO are the best deal of the three.

Either way you look at it if you want to change a M98 you're going to drop about $400, and you will NEVER get your money out of it!

Good luck
Ivan

thanks alot for the info. I have a friend who recently purchased an un-issued model 98, it had never been shot, and is very acurate. he is looking to purchase another from the loal gunsmith that has a ruined barrel. he was just wonder what he could rebore it to. he wants a military rifle that shoots ammo that is easier to find. he also has a russian nagant, that shoots 7.62x54, both this round and 8mm mauser are relativiley hard to find. he is a history buff, and really enjoys millitary rifles. in addition to the mauser and nagant, he also has a swedish mauser (6.5x55) and an enfield (.303). he just wants something that shoots a common round like .30/06, or .270. in the military rifles, it is somewhat hard to find ammo that is not surplus FMJ.

Later Yall!!!!
mule-deer.gif

i doubt if there is anyone in the country that will "bore out" and re-rifle a barrel. best just screw in a new barrel. you're going to have some work done to the bolt face to get it to work with the big belted case, too.

I have had a M98 rebarreled to a 338-06 and have been VERRY happy with it. Recoil is like an 06, and if you load a little hot velocity is the same with alot more "oomphh". Just need to be aware that the 300+ shots are out. If you are ok with this, the 338-06 is one heck of a cartrige and alot cheaper to load and shoot than any of those magnums. Plus no bolt work is required. Good luck in whatever you choose, and straight shooting!!

Shash

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom