Maxi balls in a 1/28?

hunting1

Does anyone shoot maxi balls in a 1.28 barrel? If so do you have to put a patch between the the bullet and the powder? Did you have to season the barrel? Thanks, I have a cap and ball, but just baught an encore 209 x 50. Good shooting!

hunting1: I'd try it without the patch. You will probably find that you won't be able to get real tight (3") groups with this bullet combined with the 1:28 twist. Give it a try, though, you might get lucky.

That is a heavy ball-twist. My guess is that it will shoot em just fine.

The rules of thumb are (that is, if your gun knows them) that 1-66 or so twist is for round-balls, 1-28 is for conicals. 1-48 or so is to TRY to shoot both (it may, but it won't be real accurate).

Now, your gun will likely have certain bullets that it shoots well, and others just so-so. Go out and try them all and find out how it does.

Also, your bore SHOULD be seasoned, but it don't have to be. You can season it as you shoot. But, I'm reading where guys that expect a seasoned gun to not need to be cleaned, they are finding rust in their gun. but, a seasoned gun is easier to clean.

I've never found the need for anything under my bullet, but I ain't never tried it and I don't know what it does to accuracy. My gun already has accepatable accuracy.

Thompson Center is recommending using one of their bore button wads between the powder charge and the maxiball when using a 1:28 twist. It's in the Fox Ridge Outfitters catalog and in a few other places on their advertisements.

Don't have a rifle with that twist so I haven't had a reason to try it yet.

Good luck and let us know how it works.

Tom Krupinski
Glendale, Arizona

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom