May 2nd 2024 Wildlife Board meeting

This agenda went through the RAC process with little opposition. The Board will probably follow suit.

Lol, If I remember I will try and post the links to the videos.
Doesn't matter peoples attention span is not that long.

It's interesting the number of comments to the RAC's and WB. The discussion on shed hunting was interesting. But the total amount of comments to the RAC's and WB on any subject should be a huge wakeup for anybody that has an opinion.

A Few Making Decisions For 100's Of Thousands!

It's interesting the number of comments to the RAC's and WB. The discussion on shed hunting was interesting. But the total amount of comments to the RAC's and WB on any subject should be a huge wakeup for anybody that has an opinion.

Being on the RAC, I will say I am surprised by how little emails we get. I do wish they had an option to send feedback to every RAC and the WB, the way they have it set up now you have to submit your feedback 6 different times to get it out to everyone. You should be able to submit your feedback to every rac with one push of a button after typing out whatever it is you want to type, and selecting if you agree or disagree with the topic.

I also think there logic in that discussion about shed hunting was a bit flawed, they said the majority of respondents was in favor of a season for residents as well as non residents, but a big factor of that could be that the people not in favor of a season didn't respond because they was happy / ok with what the division came up with.

There definitely was a lot of confusion on this.
But I don’t agree at all on singling out nonresidents.
There needs to be a season date period. The book cliffs is a prime example of lazy 🫏 horn hunters.
I couldn’t believe the atv and side by side tracks that were all over the sage brush flats and threw the cedar and pinions trees.

If you have more people out on the landscape it is less likely people will take there atv or side by side off the roads or trails.
Will it still happen yes. but it’s more manageable when there is more people out opening day.

Last edited:
There needs to be a season date period. The book cliffs is a prime example of lazy 🫏horn hunters.
I couldn’t believe the atv and side by side tracks that were all over the sage brush flats and threw the cedar and pinions trees.

If you have more people out on the landscape it is less likely people will take there atv or side by side off the roads or trails.
Will it still happen yes. but it’s more manageable when there is more people out opening day.
PM sent.
I couldn't agree more.

It is disappointing to me that the WB doesn't have a thorough knowledge of how the draw process works. I could be wrong, but they had discussion about a OIL Sheep Tag on the Minerals. Their discussion surrounded whether there should be 1 or 2 tags offered and how if there is only 1 it would make it to where everyone that applied besides the top point holders, hoping for a chance would be out of luck. However, this is not my understanding, nor what past year draw results have shown. If there is only 1 tag it would go to random. See screenshot below. If there is an odd number of tags that is greater than 2, the extra tag in the split goes to Bonus Allocation. See second screenshot. Perhaps I am the one that is wrong, but the discussion seemed very misleading/uninformed on how the process works.
1714752595309.png

1714752627402.png

I drove down the new mosquito trap(west Davis) and saw all the trucks at Farmington. I was working. Those guys took their time off, including anyone who went as a regular Joe.

They shouldn't get trashed. Disagree absolutely, but the doors aren't locked, anyone can show up

I also think there logic in that discussion about shed hunting was a bit flawed, they said the majority of respondents was in favor of a season for residents as well as non residents, but a big factor of that could be that the people not in favor of a season didn't respond because they was happy / ok with what the division came up with.
Yes it was a bit flawed. You wait this is what will happen, They will propose a shed season date for residents and Nonresidents. The comments will come pouring in.
There is a lot of shady crap going on during shed hunting And further more there is a lot of cross country shed hunting going on side by side and atv's. The new one I seen this year was dirt bikes.

Someone posted on one of the threads that its not illegal for nonresidents to pack residents sheds.
(But you can go shed hunting with a friend who is an Utah resident and help them pack out their sheds. Sort of like the Wyoming wilderness law). Already found a loop hole.

This is exactly why we need a shed season date right here. ☝️

Last edited:
We used to love shed hunting in Colorado. (we're from Utah, but CO is closer than the good Utah units) Then they instituted a season. Well we knew where the herds of elk had been in April. Opening morning at daylight, 4 of us were boots on the ground all morning. Oddly, there were already boot tracks everywhere. Not a single shed. On the way back out, one of the camps we passed happen to have a big old stack of sheds out front. Coincidence? I think not. Colorado's shed season ruined shed hunting for those who obey the law. We don't even bother anymore.

How can the DWR say its okay for turkey and lion hunters, hikers to be out scaring the animals but not shed hunters. It is okay for some people to scare the animals but not others? I would be perfectly fine with a shed season if there was a way to enforce it, but a shed season only hurts the guy that obeys the laws. If you are going to make a shed season, then enforce the hell out of it and make the penalty huge if caught!!!

Being on the RAC, I will say I am surprised by how little emails we get. I do wish they had an option to send feedback to every RAC and the WB, the way they have it set up now you have to submit your feedback 6 different times to get it out to everyone. You should be able to submit your feedback to every rac with one push of a button after typing out whatever it is you want to type, and selecting if you agree or disagree with the topic.

The DWR should send request emails for feedback to everyone who bought a hunting license in the last 2 years.

Most people don't go looking for the info in advance, then are surprised when things change.

Here is the link to today's Wildlife Board meeting.

It starts at 9:00 am. If anyone wants to watch it live.

Jake, thanks for posting that link. I’ve been watching the meeting hoping to see where they approved the general buck deer quote is as proposed. Could someone help me with about what time in that video they approved the general season Buck deer proposals.
Thanks

At 1:01:34 You'll Hear The Common Mentality Of Most DRATS!

LET'S KILL THEM ALL (Deer) WHILE WE CAN!

Claims He Quit Drinking!

JUDAS!

Just Like A Few Others On This Site!

They Don't Look In To The Future Any Further Than Tomorrow Morning And Care Less What There Will Be For Our Kids/Grand-Kids/Future Generations!

UN-F'N-BELIEVABLE!

The DWR should send request emails for feedback to everyone who bought a hunting license in the last 2 years.

Most people don't go looking for the info in advance, then are surprised when things change.
They reach out multiple times. Agree that those who approve are less likely to comment.

The fact is very few are giving input that the RAC's or WB are hearing. Don't expect they are monitoring multiple social media accounts. Good if they do for sure.

Jake, thanks for posting that link. I’ve been watching the meeting hoping to see where they approved the general buck deer quote is as proposed. Could someone help me with about what time in that video they approved the general season Buck deer proposals.
Thanks
I replayed the meeting and paid closer attention.
You guys can all stop looking now.
I heard when they approved the general season Buck deer proposals at about 10:26 AM on the time clock.

I guess when it comes to General season, hunting I am for opportunity hunting after all.

With the increases I think I have a good chance to draw.

Now if I can just self regulate!

Claims He Quit Drinking!

JUDAS!

They Don't Look In To The Future Any Further Than Tomorrow Morning And Care Less What There Will Be For Our Kids/Grand-Kids/Future Generations!

UN-F'N-BELIEVABLE!
Elk, They are talking bucks on general units. And nobody is saying kill them all
Where do you this pull **** out from?

Pay Attention!

He/They Admit a 80% Loss Of Deer In Northern Utah!

Not Tag Cuts!

Maybe I Should Of Said:Let's HUNT THEM NOW!

Keep The Opportunists Happy!

That's All That Seems To Matter!

He Ain't Looking In To The Future Of Anything For The Deer Herd!

Maybe I'll START Drinking & Brew Up A Master Plan!

Elk, They are talking bucks on general units. And nobody is saying kill them all
Where do you this pull **** out from?

I hunt the Cache. Have watched it for going on 50 years. It goes up and it goes down. Pretty much every time it goes up along comes mother nature and kills them off.
I know it's a hard concept but when deer die in the winter they die because they can't feed.
Nobody is killing off the herd. The does are being bred . The fawns are being born.
The fawn survival sucked in '23 along with a bunch of does and bucks. But there were deer last fall. both bucks and does and even fawns. A lot will make it through this winter.
Will it take some time to recover? Sure. But I still won't accept that saving more bucks is the salvation of mule deer.

How Bout getting Back To Building A Bigger Deer Herd?

As In More total Deer Numbers!

This BS Of Managing Deer With Buck To Doe Ratio's Is The Poorest Management Ever Drempt Up!

Now They Even Wanna Lower The Buck To Doe ratio's Even More!

WAFJ!

One More thing mf!

The Quality Of Alot Them Bucks Doing The Breeding Is A Real JOKE!

You ever heard Of Good Genetics Versus PISS POOR Genetics?

I hunt the Cache. Have watched it for going on 50 years. It goes up and it goes down. Pretty much every time it goes up along comes mother nature and kills them off.
I know it's a hard concept but when deer die in the winter they die because they can't feed.
Nobody is killing off the herd. The does are being bred . The fawns are being born.
The fawn survival sucked in '23 along with a bunch of does and bucks. But there were deer last fall. both bucks and does and even fawns. A lot will make it through this winter.
Will it take some time to recover? Sure. But I still won't accept that saving more bucks is the salvation of mule deer.

How can the DWR say its okay for turkey and lion hunters, hikers to be out scaring the animals but not shed hunters. It is okay for some people to scare the animals but not others? I would be perfectly fine with a shed season if there was a way to enforce it, but a shed season only hurts the guy that obeys the laws. If you are going to make a shed season, then enforce the hell out of it and make the penalty huge if caught!!!
The fish cops in CO are busy guarding cows. Seriously.

How Bout getting Back To Building A Bigger Deer Herd?

As In More total Deer Numbers!

This BS Of Managing Deer With Buck To Doe Ratio's Is The Poorest Management Ever Drempt Up!

Now They Even Wanna Lower The Buck To Doe ratio's Even More!

WAFJ!

One More thing mf!

The Quality Of Alot Them Bucks Doing The Breeding Is A Real JOKE!

You ever heard Of Good Genetics Versus PISS POOR Genetics?

It's shocking how either how chitty biology class is in the basin, or, how badly you listened.

Here's a question, see if you can answer.

The Henrys.

When the Henrys was shut down it wasn't a trophy unit. So how did all those big deer get made with the genetics that was on the Henrys before shutdown?

Did their genetic "quality" change because the unit was closed?

Hey Hossy!

Evident-ally You Haven't Spent Much Time On The Henries?

It Took Some time to Bring It Back A Little!

It Never Came Back Like it Once was!

Not Even Close!

But The Henries With Some Decent Management Will Still Produce Some Good Bucks!

But Nothing Like Yester-Year!

Kinda Wierd Isn't IT When You Let A Few Bucks Survive Past The Ripe Old Age of 3 or 4 What They Can Turn in to Isn't It?

The Modern Day Genetics Don't Even Compare To What Was Once There!

The Genetics Quality Was & Still Is So Poor In Several Units That There Were Some Deer From Antelope Island Transplanted To Different Units Around The State A Few years Back!

Not A Bad Idea!

But Sad We Can't Manage Our Mule Deer Any Better Than That!

Like I Said!

I Know It's Hard For DRAT Deer Hunters To Let A PISSCUTTER Walk!

KEEP POUNDIN THEM!

AND KEEP WONDERING WHY WE ARE WHERE WE ARE AT WITH THE PISS POOR DEER HERD OF TODAY!

It's shocking how either how chitty biology class is in the basin, or, how badly you listened.

Here's a question, see if you can answer.

The Henrys.

When the Henrys was shut down it wasn't a trophy unit. So how did all those big deer get made with the genetics that was on the Henrys before shutdown?

Hey Hossy!

Evident-ally You Haven't Spent Much Time On The Henries?

It Took Some time to Bring It Back A Little!

It Never Came Back Like it Once was!

Not Even Close!

But The Henries With Some Decent Management Will Still Produce Some Good Bucks!

But Nothing Like Yester-Year!

Kinda Wierd Isn't IT When You Let A Few Bucks Survive Past The Ripe Old Age of 3 or 4 What They Can Turn in to Isn't It?

The Modern Day Genetics Don't Even Compare To What Was Once There!

The Genetics Quality Was & Still Is So Poor In Several Units That There Were Some Deer From Antelope Island Transplanted To Different Units Around The State A Few years Back!

Not A Bad Idea!

But Sad We Can't Manage Our Mule Deer Any Better Than That!

Like I Said!

I Know It's Hard For DRAT Deer Hunters To Let A PISSCUTTER Walk!

KEEP POUNDIN THEM!

AND KEEP WONDERING WHY WE ARE WHERE WE ARE AT WITH THE PISS POOR DEER HERD OF TODAY!

So, you're saying that trophy hunting all the great genetic lines to extinction leaves inferior genetic lines?

I read somewhere that bucks who grow the absolute biggest antlers often are the ones who are not spending bunches of energy on fighting and breeding. I'm not sure how true that is. Also, does carry 1/2 the genes and maybe it's the few of them with the big rack gene who put out the exceptional racked bucks. One thing for sure, kill them young and you will never see full potential.

Claims He Quit Drinking!

JUDAS!

UN-F'N-BELIEVABLE!

At least he showed up and spoke his mind. If YOU want your voice heard, YOU should do the same.

General Units should be managed for maximum opportunity. I'm sorry that all the great hunters on here aren't seeing a dozen 4 points a day. However, every general unit does hold some really good bucks. Personally, I would rather have a chance to hunt every year than every 3 years.

At least he showed up and spoke his mind. If YOU want your voice heard, YOU should do the same.

General Units should be managed for maximum opportunity. I'm sorry that all the great hunters on here aren't seeing a dozen 4 points a day. However, every general unit does hold some really good bucks. Personally, I would rather have a chance to hunt every year than every 3 years.
How many people apply for General season buck deer each year?
How are you going to give every one of them a chance to hunt every year?
I agree with elkassassin on this.
We don’t want to kill all of the bucks before they mature.

As You Already Know Hoissy That Doesn't Help!

But Hunting Them Like They've Been Hunted Here In DRATville For Half A Century Plus Has Been The Biggest Issue!

TARD Mentality:

I Filled My tag,How Bout You?

Ya,I Got Me A MOTL Buck!

Ya,It Was The Last Day,I Had To Shoot Something So I Shot A NUBBINS Buck That was Still SUCKIN On Mama When I Shot It!

I Needed That IG/FB Pic So I Can BRAGG!

Ya,I Got Me A 2 Point,But It's A Big Bodied SOB!

It Took Me 2 years To Get This Tag,I'm STF Not wasting It!

Carry On!

So, you're saying that trophy hunting all the great genetic lines to extinction leaves inferior genetic lines?

Read Post # 41!

Oh & Feel Proud!

They Don't Get it buckhorn!

You Could Issue Every F'N WHINING OPPORTUNIST In This State A Deer Tag & By The Following Year They'd Be BAWLING & WHINING For 2 Deer Tags A Year!

WAFJ!

I read somewhere that bucks who grow the absolute biggest antlers often are the ones who are not spending bunches of energy on fighting and breeding. I'm not sure how true that is. Also, does carry 1/2 the genes and maybe it's the few of them with the big rack gene who put out the exceptional racked bucks. One thing for sure, kill them young and you will never see full potential.

Exactly

Back 15 years ago I was seeing 4-5 nice bucks I would hunt for in an area I hunt. I was also seeing a lot more deer in general. Numbers were much higher. More deer equal more bucks with chance of more mature bucks. Less deer like we see now equals less bucks and these are all small bucks still running around with its mom. No mature bucks making it past 3 years anymore. Sad to watch.

It's a little early for tear up your tag videos, but time is coming.

4 years in, not a single video.

I'm fine changing the culture. Start shaming dudes who shoot little bucks.

I'm not fine sitting home while Jimmy John buys tags every year.

Funny how if you scratch a check to a guide, a banquet or a CWMU to hunt deer every year, youre not an opportunist.

We Don't.

As You Already Know Hoissy That Doesn't Help!

But Hunting Them Like They've Been Hunted Here In DRATville For Half A Century Plus Has Been The Biggest Issue!

TARD Mentality:

I Filled My tag,How Bout You?

Ya,I Got Me A MOTL Buck!

Ya,It Was The Last Day,I Had To Shoot Something So I Shot A NUBBINS Buck That was Still SUCKIN On Mama When I Shot It!

I Needed That IG/FB Pic So I Can BRAGG!

Ya,I Got Me A 2 Point,But It's A Big Bodied SOB!

It Took Me 2 years To Get This Tag,I'm STF Not wasting It!

Carry On!

I could care less what someone else shoots or doesn't shoot. If they have a permit and shoot something I am happy for them.

There are far too many hunters hating on hunters.

I'll say it again @elkassassin, If you want your voice heard you need to show up to the RAC and WB meetings. Until I see your ugly mug on YouTube, you're just wasting breath.

Took My turn At that Many Years Ago!

I Don't Need to Go Re-Tell Them What They've Already Heard!

Some Of You Either Don't Have Kids/Grand-Kids Or You Don't Care Rather They Get A Chance At Hunting Mule Deer Or Not!

You're Only Worried About One Thing!

Me,Me,Me & Rather You Get To Hunt Every Year Without A Care For Any Decent Mule Deer Management!

KEEP POUNDIN THEM & KEEP THUMPIN Your Chest!

I could care less what someone else shoots or doesn't shoot. If they have a permit and shoot something I am happy for them.

There are far too many hunters hating on hunters.

I'll say it again @elkassassin, If you want your voice heard you need to show up to the RAC and WB meetings. Until I see your ugly mug on YouTube, you're just wasting breath.

Break That Stash Out That You've Been Hiding From Ms Hossy!

There's No reason You Can't Hunt The Island!

The Opportunity To Hunt Alcatraz Pops Up Every Year!

You want Me To Meet You At The SFW On Auction Night & Raise your Hand For You?

It Was Actually A Bargain This year Compared To Last Years Price!

It's a little early for tear up your tag videos, but time is coming.

4 years in, not a single video.

I'm fine changing the culture. Start shaming dudes who shoot little bucks.

I'm not fine sitting home while Jimmy John buys tags every year.

Funny how if you scratch a check to a guide, a banquet or a CWMU to hunt deer every year, youre not an opportunist.

Run That Past elkantlers About a Million Times!

Never-mind!

He Can't Comprehend Doing Something To Improve Deer Numbers!

Back 15 years ago I was seeing 4-5 nice bucks I would hunt for in an area I hunt. I was also seeing a lot more deer in general. Numbers were much higher. More deer equal more bucks with chance of more mature bucks. Less deer like we see now equals less bucks and these are all small bucks still running around with its mom. No mature bucks making it past 3 years anymore. Sad to watch.

Nope the trend now is to shoot every small buck alive because tomorrow they could die. Why won’t they just open up two or three central units and sell tags over the counter. There will still be enough bucks and let hunters have all the opportunity they want.

Did you See My Proposal Here A While Back?

Even though It's Fair To The OPPOR-F'N-TUNISTS They Didn't Like It!

And The Reason They Don't Like It Is:

They'd Destroy Their Part Of The Proposal Within A Year Or Two & Then They'd Come A BAWLING!

Nope the trend now is to shoot every small buck alive because tomorrow they could die. Why won’t they just open up two or three central units and sell tags over the counter. There will still be enough bucks and let hunters have all the opportunity they want.

I admit I'm not as smart as some on here and I don't know every unit in Utah like I should so for the betterment of my education what deer units in Utah general or LE are gaining more deer in the herds? And are any with certain buck levels doing better or worse?

And if any are is not hunting them contributing to the growth?

Can you Tell Us where They Are Not Being Hunted In Any Of The Deer Units?

I admit I'm not as smart as some on here and I don't know every unit in Utah like I should so for the betterment of my education what deer units in Utah general or LE are gaining more deer in the herds? And are any with certain buck levels doing better or worse?

And if any are is not hunting them contributing to the growth?

I can point to where they are not being hunted in any appreciable numbers. Does that count?
Come on it should be a simple question. Obviously you have the the data. Show us.

That is why I would like to see a few units opened up for complete opportunity. Let’s see if we kill off the bucks if that helps the deer herd grow. Sell over the counter tags and let as many as want have the opportunity.

In my Proposal The opportunists Are Offered A Few units Like that!

A FREE-FOR-F'N-ALL!

And Like I Suggested!

After They F'It Em Up Within just a couple Years DON'T COME A BAWLING!

Hunt & Manage Them As you Please!

After them Units Have To Be Closed The OPPOR-F'N-TUNISTS Will Sit The Deer Hunts Out Until They Can Bring Their Units Back Again Just To F'Them up Again!

That is why I would like to see a few units opened up for complete opportunity. Let’s see if we kill off the bucks if that helps the deer herd grow. Sell over the counter tags and let as many as want have the opportunity.

There needs to be a season date period. The book cliffs is a prime example of lazy 🫏 horn hunters.

Thank Wyoming for singling out non residents they are doing the best job possible in every aspect of hunting at discrimination. Nevada, Colorado and Idaho also have seasons now too. The DNR threw that idea out as retribution. There’s 2 ways to do this at this point all the states make a season preferably April 1. May 1 is stupid. Or pull down all the shed seasons in every state which I’m fully on board at this point.

They Won't Do That!

As Soon As They Get Em Where They Want Em You'll Bend Over Because It's Gonna Cost You!

Thank Wyoming for singling out non residents they are doing the best job possible in every aspect of hunting at discrimination. Nevada, Colorado and Idaho also have seasons now too. The DNR threw that idea out as retribution. There’s 2 ways to do this at this point all the states make a season preferably April 1. May 1 is stupid. Or pull down all the shed seasons in every state which I’m fully on board at this point.

They Won't Do That!

As Soon As They Get Em Where They Want Em You'll Bend Over Because It's Gonna Cost You!
Of coarse they won’t elk the Utah DNR will ask for suggestions then come up with some stupid not even remotely close to the idea plan. How many times do they need to be told to gut the early rifle elk and run archery sept 1-30. Instead here’s mid season rifle, hams, and late archery.

Ya!

I've Been Waiting For A Wrist Rocket Hunt!

A Spear Hunt!

A Hatchet/Tomahawk Hunt!

And The Higher Powered Air Gun Hunt!

Anybody Know Where We Could Wedge Them In For A Little More Opportunity For The OPPORTUNISTS?

Of coarse they won’t elk the Utah DNR will ask for suggestions then come up with some stupid not even remotely close to the idea plan. How many times do they need to be told to gut the early rifle elk and run archery sept 1-30. Instead here’s mid season rifle, hams, and late archery.

All states should make it may 15 and have to possess a hunting license and wear orange 🍊 so they can tell if your just out for nature or shed hunting

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom