Maybe it is time

huntazido

If you are not a member or even if you are maybe it is time to show our support and solidarity for the 2nd amendment and join the NRA. If there was ever a time to join, now is it.

Please pass this on and encourage your family and friends to join.

I have been a member for over 35 years. You will see that there is a lot of members on this forum that are not NRA members and some that even hate the NRA, yet they are gun owners that ride on the coattails of members.
Here in CA. the NRA along with the CA. pistol & rifle Assc. are the leading front on fighting our liberal politicians and their new anti gun laws. Both groups have several law suits pending in court that their lawyers are fighting. They have been successful in blocking some recent anti gun laws that were deemed illegal by the courts.
Let face it if they are able to ban so called assault rifles, which will include any semi-auto rifle with detachable magazine. The first time some nut uses a semi auto shotgun in a mass shooting, they will deem all semi auto shotguns as "assault shotguns" and ban them also.
Too many liberal Democrats are on record as saying they want to BAN ALL FIREARMS. So far the Supreme Court has helped us to preserve the 2nd. amendment, but that can change with the wrong President filling the court with flaming liberals that will support anti gun laws.

RELH

If Hillary was President and proposing gun control, the Republicans would rally in opposition and nothing would happen... (see eight years of Obama as proof, even with Newtown and a dozen other mass shootings.)

Since it's Trump talking, other Republicans are starting to consider various measures of gun control as if they're okay.

It's ironic to me the real danger over the last decade appears to be coming from the right and not the left, especially after decades of NRA fear-mongering.

I consider myself a conservative, I have many guns (including AR15s), and oppose gun control as an ineffective power grab. But I'll never support a group that aligns with those trying to sell public lands.

There are 300 million guns in America and the 2nd Amendment to back them up, but if the Republican Party attains it's stated goal, right in their official platform, of transferring federal lands... my passions and way-of-life are over.

I don't care to have a gun to go shoot at a private range, I want to be able to hunt and enjoy wild places.

You say hunters ride the coattails of the NRA, I say those hunters ride the coattails of the Teddy Roosevelt Conservationists before them.

Grizzly

-----------------------------------------
"This is a classic case of a handful of greedy fly fishermen getting too greedy." -Don Peay, Founder of SFW, as told to KUTV

"It's time to revisit the widely accepted principle in the United States and Canada that game is a public resource."
-Don Peay, Founder of SFW, as quoted in Anchorage Daily News

And aligning with any liberalcrat will end up in not being able
To hunt on those lands.

California is a great example. Let the game department go to hell. It?ll all be over with there in 10-15 years.

A loss for hunters with every election cycle there.

Think it?ll stop in Colorado? It's just getting warmed up. What about the senator from I believe Wisconsin last week that wants to propose a bill to ban hunting.

Yeah, don't think I'll be aligning with them any time soon. Regardless of their stance on public land.

Been a member for 35 years. I don't always agree with them but if we didn't have the NRA the 2nd would have been gone years ago.
CC

I don't agree with everything my kids do. Some of the music they listen to goes against everything I stand for but you know what? I support them 100%.

I was against the NRA and their support of George Taulman and USO outfitters as he tried to manipulate AZ game laws to put money in his pocket from wealthy NR hunters. I wrote the NRA and expressed my anger towards them but I did not cancel my membership.

If you want to join an organization and you expect to agree with everything they do 100% then you will never find one to join.

>I don't agree with everything my
>kids do. Some of
>the music they listen to
>goes against everything I stand
>for but you know what?
> I support them 100%.

We just see things differently. I won't give my money to the NRA because of my kids. If NRA got all their politicians elected, my kids will have nowhere to recreate on public lands. No hunting, fishing, hiking, and camping.

It may be hyperbolic, but not any more than declaring guns would be seized without the NRA.

We simply have different priorities and fears... and that's alright.

Grizzly

"This is a classic case of a handful of greedy fly fishermen getting too greedy." -Don Peay, Founder of SFW, as told to KUTV

"It's time to revisit the widely accepted principle in the United States and Canada that game is a public resource."

Grizzly,
That's cool. Lots of people don't agree with me on many subjects. I'm actually not much of a gun guy but I have some. I prefer archery and have for 30 plus years.

What I am is a supporter of the constitution and the 2nd amendment. We lose this and I'm afraid it will just snowball afterwards. This is why I choose to support the organization that is trying to preserve it.

Good Hunting

Been a member for most of 30 years usually renewing one year at a time. Just renewed for five this time! I also don't agree with them about everything but I think they are more important than ever.

Thanks for the post. I almost forgot to sign up my 4 yo granddaughter to a life membership.

Grizz I'm I correct that you don't give any $$ to SFW and MDF? Might be thinking of someone else

LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-18 AT 09:38AM (MST)[p]huntazido,
Like you I choose the bow as my preferred method for the taking of ( in my case generally the attempted taking) of game.
Our 2A is a God given Right , unlike hunting public land which is but a privilege, a most valuable privilege but still a privilege not a Right. I do believe it necessary to protect and defend both.
Those who believe we can't lose our Rights because they are written on papers called the Constitution need to understand those papers mean nothing if one is not willing to support and if necessary kill others in defense of those Rights, this includes any enemy, foreign or domestic.
Spending a few dollars to support an organization that might prevent the need of resorting to violence in an attempt to protect our Rights seems like a small sacrifice to make.
Just MHO.

Norkal

"One can take my life but not my faith or my
confidence.
I fear none and respect all."

Hunting to me is much more about wild places, wildness, and wildlife. The plastic and metal slung over my shoulder is a tool of hunting, but the places I hunt are paramount.

I am certainly pro-gun and always have been, but I absolutely have not bought into the constant fear-mongering from the NRA that someone, somehow is trying to take 350,000,000 guns from law-abiding citizens. They've been fighting the War On Drugs for 50 years. How's that going?

Sure, the NRAs threats raise their donations (look at their finances after Sandy Hook), but some people pat themselves on the back a little too hard over their $35 dues and the constant "surveys" that always include "suggested donations" on the last page.

"Habitat loss and land access are the leading causes of less hunters afield," (Realree.com). Right now, virtually all Americans support gun-ownership of sporting arms typically used for hunting. When hunting is gone with the land, even that argument loses water. I could argue the best way to protect guns is to promote hunting, and therefore their lawful use, by as many people as possible.

As soon as NRA works in favor of hunting, and not just lip-service while supporting candidates that are trying to take public lands, I'll renew my membership.

Grizzly

LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-18 AT 01:09PM (MST)[p]Sir,
IMHO you have your head in the sand, no disrespect intended.
Do a little history research. Not just of our country's history but of world history. If you believe our government is righteous and incapable of turning on our population I would suggest that you have drank the jim jones juice. The so called "war on drugs" is a perfect example of how corrupt our government has become.
I do not see the fear of having our Rights stripped as "fear mongering". Take a look at the laws, both federal and state that have been enacted since the thirties. You will notice every 25 years (+or-) major infringements have been successfully implemented that adversely affect the 2A.
The 2A is not about hunting.
Norkal

confidence. I fear none and respect all."

I'll go toe-to-toe with anybody on world history, and if you think anybody is taking 350,000,000 guns out of the hands of law-abiding Americans by comparing the demagogues of the past to America in the Information Age... you have your head in the sand, no disrespect intended.

The 2nd Amendment isn't about hunting, but without the legitime use of firearms being protected (such as with hunting) there will be nobody left to fight for them.

I always get a chuckle at those that stockpile ammo thinking they're going to be in a shootout in the streets with the National Guard over their rifles. But for the record, if that day were to somehow come... I'll be there fighting too, probably with my silenced AR15.

Grizzly

>LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-18
>AT 01:09?PM (MST)

>
>Sir,
>IMHO you have your head in
>the sand, no disrespect intended.
>
>Do a little history research. Not
>just of our country's history
>but of world history.
>If you believe our government
>is righteous and incapable of
>turning on our population I
>would suggest that you have
>drank the jim jones juice.
>The so called "war on
>drugs" is a perfect example
>of how corrupt our government
>has become.
>I do not see the fear
>of having our Rights stripped
>as "fear mongering". Take a
>look at the laws, both
>federal and state that have
>been enacted since the thirties.
> You will notice every
>25 years (+or-) major infringements
>have been successfully implemented that
>adversely affect the 2A.
>The 2A is not about hunting.
>
>Norkal
>
>"One can take my life but
>not my faith or my
>
>confidence. I fear none and
>respect all."

Do you really, and truly believe there is enough prison space. Or cops to come collect your guns? You live in Cali. Did they round yours up and send you to jail yet?

I CAN show you today in Utah where public land is trying to be grabbed. TODAY.

Im very pro gun, but, with no public land, 95% of my guns are useless.

The NRA drank the coolaid of the republicans. Its those same repubs how are now turning on them.

When they join in the HUNTIN, FISHIN, PUBLIC LAND PARTY, I got there back.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

I've been making the argument that we must protect public lands and hunting rights because that is the 'legitimate use' of firearms that is likely to protect our gun rights; and without hunting the argument in favor of gun control becomes stronger.

Right on cue: Republican Utah Governor Herbert wants to raise the age to buy certain guns and limit high-capacity magazines. And the quote he used, ?I don't know that there's any reason to have anything more than a seven- or nine-shot magazine. Once you get past a typical size when you go out hunting, you're probably having excess baggage you don't need.?

If we lose hunting because of the loss of public lands, the argument in favor of total gun-control becomes stronger. I'll vote to protect hunting and the guns will follow suit.

Grizzly

Seems we agree on most of this and glad to be on the same side if things go bad!
I too feel very strong about our public lands and there is no doubt they are threatened!
Just another of the many facets of our current situation.

Norkal

Grizzy if that is all you want to do, so be it. Our Democrats in CA. actually banned any magazines over 10 rounds and demanded they be turned in or taken out of state and sold.

The NRA and CRPA Assoc. filed a suit for violation of the 4th. amendment rights, unlawful seizure of property and got a hold placed on the law until it can be appealed to the courts.

Utah and other states have looked towards what CA. has done and will follow suit. It will come to your state sooner or later unless we can get court decisions that will defeat their plans. Would you prefer those fights take place in CA. first or would you prefer they be fought in your state?

The same people who would place bans on firearms are the same people who would like to see hunting come to a abrupt stop forever.

Democrats lead the way for the bans, but there is also some RINOs in the GOP who think the same way if it will get them votes to stay in office.

RELH

Plenty of good points being brought up here.

I was a member for several years but I finally got fed up with the endless and shameless solicitations for more money through the mail, and bombing my email address on pretty much a daily basis,
Sometimes multiple emails in one day.
I came to the conclusion that whatever I sent couldn't possibly be doing any more than being used to pay someone to send me emails and junk mail.

If there was a way to opt out of getting all that junk crap they send, I would happily become a member again and pay my yearly dues or more.

Join the BHA better use of your money. plus they are right on with most points being brought up here.

"Shoot Straight"

First off, I truly believe in the 2nd ammendment and feel the NRA is a huge asset in the fight to keep these rights.

HOWEVER....is it just me or does the NRA give up just a little bit of credit with the amount of effort they put forth in fighting some proposals for more widespread background checks and such? I hear the slippery slope argument, but maybe it's time everyone that purchases a firearm does indeed go through a background check...and maybe a database showing folks with a mental background/issues should be something that might keep someone from purchasing a firearm. In short...I'm thinking it's time to give a little.

Grizzly, you're spot on. the threat to public lands is the #1 threat to what matters to me the most.

Whatever you think about black rifles there is one undeniable fact. things will change. hell the NRA doesn't even have Trump in their scorched earth camp. the NRA can work on a reasonable compromise or they can lose. either way works for me.

Ronald Reagan and Gerald Ford had it right on gun control . as a republican, old school republican, that requires no apology or explanation. if we had followed their lead we'd be a lot better off today.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

Or just vote Republican and not get junk mail and phone calls. They need to just take my money, give me a sticker for my truck and save the postage and hourly pay for the telephone callers.

hossblur,
Nope, live in Idaho. Ranched here as a kid. Returned when I retired. Am well aware of the prk's situation. My career was there.
The 2A is first and foremost in place so that when those who govern us go rogue we have the means to fight them.

Rogue governments do not have a need for prison space.

Norkal

The NRA does not oppose background checks, they want the checks to be an instant check and if you pass the check, you walk out the door with the gun you just bought.

In today's world of computers, that is a doable check. You can call in to your state dept. of justice and in 30 seconds they can check your background in their state computers and the federal NCIC, National Crime Information Center. I did it many times as a law enforcement officer while supervising our dept. Carrying Concealed Weapons permit program. Gun dealers do it on a daily basis here, but the state requires a 10 day waiting period. Not for the background check, but for a "cooling off period" so a person does not go into a gun store and buy a gun then leave the store and commit a crime with the gun. I leave it up to you if you feel that is a reasonable assumption.

As for the statement of no 30 round magazines in CA. False there is still magazines of more then 10 rounds still in CA. There is no more sales of magazines that will hold more then 10 rounds allowed. CA. attempted to seize all magazines over 10 rounds with a new law. They were stopped from doing that by a filing of a court case by the NRA and CRPA Assoc. that stopped the seizure for violation of the 4th amendment concerning unlawful seizure of private property without compensation. It will be going up to a higher court for final judgement.

There is a way that states can get around HIPPA not allowing mental health officials to report mentally ill persons to a central data base.

CA. has a code, 5150 W&I, that requires an officer to take into custody anyone that demonstrates he/she is a danger to themselves or others. The officer fills out a short report why the person was taken into custody and the officer takes the person to the county mental health facility and signs them in on a 72 hour hold for examination by a mental heath professional. States need to change the law where the officer's dept. is required to send in a copy of that report to the state data base within 24 hours, or less, after the detention was done. The person then placed on a no buy list for firearms. As to other requirements wanted by the states will be left up to then.
I do believe that mental health professionals should have to report clients that demonstrate being a danger to themselves or others. Otherwise many will fall though the cracks. If they fail to do so, they should be held accountable.

RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom