MDF

DirtyTough

I went to a MDF banquet the other night. They showed the projects they have been working on. The main thing I noticed was that all the projects they showed were done on private land.

Here in ND the G&F have land that they lease for a set amount of time from private landowners. It was this private land open to sportsmen that MDF was trying to improve. I was pretty disappointed when I saw that MDF was spending most of the money on improving private land that the public may not be able to access in 3-4 years. What if the rancher decides he doesn't want to be part of the PLOTS program anymore? Why not work on improving all the public first then work on the private land?

Is it the same in other states? Is MDF mostly working on projects on private land or do they do projects on public as well? I doubt I donate anymore to MDF here since all the money is going to private land.

It's a lot easier to get private land owner's approval for habitat projects than most public land. I think MDF would love doing work on a lot more public if there was an easier way to deal with the red tape.

Dirty Tough, that is a good question and concern, I hope I can answer it for you and if not, feel free to contact me at [email protected] or 406-850-8785
First in regard to where we do projects in the three states that I have been working in (MT, ND & SD), 95% of the projects that we do in MT and SD are on public land working with state and federal agencies. Projects on public lands are lead by the agency in charge of that particular land and an organization cannot just do habitat work without approval of that agency. Unfortunately in ND, there have been very little opportunities on public land in Mule Deer habitat, believe me we continue to ask the agencies. The USFS grasslands might have something coming up that we can participate in later this year, but it has been a drought with regard to public land habitat work.
The funds that we raise in ND are matched with an Outdoor Heritage Fund grant (Oil taxes) that we received to specifically work with landowners in mule deer habitat if they are willing to place their land in PLOTS. The number of years that they place in PLOTS is partially based on how much MDF contributes to work on their land. Since I have been on the job, 2010, we have not had one PLOTS partner leave the program and in fact have re-upped each time and several of them have increased the number of years that they sign for. We also have a clause in our agreement that if they back out of the number of years agreed upon that they would have to refund a percentage of the funds spent. So for instance, the Richard Ranch, 21,000 acres plus access to three school blocks, which had not been open to the public in 20-40 years, commitment level was for 10 years! We have funded about $160,000 on habitat work and that works out to be $16,000 annually,?which is a deal when it comes to access for that amount of land. Last year alone, I know that at least 8 bull elk were harvested on his land and at least a dozen bucks. This does not include what we don't know was harvested, the number of upland game and turkeys. Other projects on a smaller scale, NDGF is getting 4-6 years in agreements and again,?in most cases we are talking $4,000-$10,000 in habitat work annually when averaged out.
Wildlife know no boundaries and any chance that we can work and improve habitat it will help ensure the sustainability of the herds. What we do also positively effects all the other critters as well.
With regard to other states, most work is done on public land, we are an exception just because we do not have the opportunity, so we found a way to impact habitat and make it a win-win-win situation. The landowner wins with improved habitat that in most cases positively impacts their cattle operation. The Sportsman and Women win because they now have additional access, industry partners are able to give back to land and this has increase PLOTS acreage throughout ND as our dollars leverage NDGF PLOTS program to be used elsewhere. I hope this answers your question, but do feel free to contact me if you have additional questions.

Yours in Conservation,

Marshall Johnson
Regional Director, North Dakota & South Dakota
2034 Northridge Dr
Bismarck, ND 58501
406-850-8785
[email protected]

Tristan?s +1

Joe

"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you
think their right" - 2001
"I can't argue with honesty" - 2005
-Joe E Sikora

In Utah I've also noticed the majority of the projects done are in premium hunt units for that special tag holder who will get one chance to draw in their lifetime

Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak. So
we must and we will."
Theadore Roosevelt

best to research. I just went to the facebook page and listed a few of the projects,..there are tons more.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2080735382211597/

Big day here in New Mexico for us! We have received funding for our first stewardship agreement project on the Carson National Forest and will be starting phase 1 of a 700 acre treatment area later this year

Big shout out to the Utah County Chapter. Saturday 30 passionate volunteers battled the weather and planted over 1000 sage and bitter brush on the Santaquin WMA

M.U.L.E.Y is excited to support and participate in the upcoming NASP National Western Tournament in Utah on April 13 and 14th!

Just this spring, our team has volunteered with the Texas Parks and Wildlife - Trans-Pecos Wildlife District, Texas Bighorn Society, Mule Deer Foundation, Dallas Safari Club, CEMEX USA, Wild Sheep Foundation, Texas Wildlife Association, and many individuals on constructing and repairing 7 different guzzlers across the Trans-Pecos.

http://fox13now.com/2018/03/18/utah...ves-the-habitat-for-wildlife-in-weber-county/

This brings the total to 6500 plants in the ground on some of northern Utah's most critical winter range. Thank you to the Weber-Davis Chapter and Utah Division of Wildlife Resources.

Thank you to Utah DWR and our incredible MDF volunteer Jake Olsen for giving him a truly unique experience. After health checks and installing an ear tracking device, this doe will be moved from a neighborhood in Herriman to excellent mule deer habitat in Oak Creeks.

BillyBob- not sure where u are getting your information- as a dedicated hunter for the last dozen plus years I've been on multiple projects of all sorts. Doing my service project hours. Prob at least 20 projects or more. I've only been on 1 unit that was limited entry and that was the Vernon Unit installing water guzzlers. Out of the six I've been on, only 2 were on the unit and those were ones that got burned up by fire. We rebuilt them?Every project I've done has been on public lands. I do know their are projects happening on the Paun and the Henrys but I think those are state BLM or Forrest Service where MDF is paying or pitching in money for the habitat projects. Utah?s Projects information is easily available. I've seen it on big boards at banquets. Email them for a list of Utah Projects. It's all recorded very well and public record. Then post up the ones you are referring to. Show us the data as to what you are claiming to be true. I will be waiting. You can prob get the info on Monday.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom