Meal ideas for my Husbands Nevada Deer Hunt!

bragabit

My husband loves this board. Now he doesn't post much, but I swear to you he is on this board two to three times a day! So I know you guys have some great advice. Anyways my Dear husband is currently helping his brother on a limited entry Elk hunt, and he will be home on Thursday and going straight to Nevada for his Deer hunt. Problem is that they don't get cell phone service so I won't really get to talk to him before he gets here. Soooo my question for you guys is this; I need to plan meals and buy the food for his next hunt so everything will be ready. I already figured to buy the standard breakfast items, and for dinner I planned hamburgers, steaks and tacos. But I still have 4 nights of meals left and I am clueless at what to get. He will be staying in a trailer so he will have a stove and an oven. Most likely they will make dinner before the evening hunt or they will eat at dark when they get back in. What do you men like to cook for yourselfs??? I would be so grateful if some of you could post some of your meal ideas or recipes that 'you' (not your wife, girlfriend or mom) cook while hunting. I really want this hunt to go well for him, he has been putting in for years. So any ideas will be very much appreciated!
thanks

First of all I would like to say how awesome it is to hear how supportive you are of your husbands hunting. He is a very lucky man. Now for food. It's really nice to have dinners that are quick and easy. I go with 3 other guys for a week and we try to take meals that we can just heat up like home made macaroni and cheese, spaghetti, chili, and stews. After hunting all day or getting in late after getting an animal out of the woods it's nice to not have to prepare meals from scratch. Freeze all the dinners and put them out the morning you plan to eat them. We have been doing this for years and it really works well. Steaks, hamburgers, pork chops, are all pretty easy too.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-20-06 AT 10:35AM (MST)[p]What an awesome wife! Actually thinking about your husbands menu! I like the first three nights - Steak, hamburgers and tacos - you could just repeat that all over again and most husbands would be just as happy as can be! Do they have any Dutch Ovens? If so - you could do some chicken, pork chops, and of course taters. Remember you are planning meals for men who are cooking for themselves. It just needs to be simple, tasty and a lot of it! Kudos to you and good luck!

ROY

homemade chicken pot pie is one of my favorites. everything in one dish. i also like barbque sauseges of all flavors.spagetti is good and easy.do you have a food saver ? they work great for pre- fabricating meals. maybe i will see him in nevada, i willbe in unit 6
howard

Do you have a sister?!

Man o man! He has no idea what a lucky man he is! (maybe he does!)

So far the ideas presented here are fantastic. Quick and easy is the preffered but after the bulls are down, there is nothing like good hearty food. Spare ribs with BBQ sauce are good and easy and easy to prepare over the campfire.

Believe it or not, a dinner favorite at my camp is pancakes and grilled spicy Italian sausage. Good and hearty.

You can make up some quesadillas with cheese and chicken for quick snacks over a hot plate. Prepare them and actually melt the cheese so they stay together during transport. Get creative with green chiles and such.

Good luck and I am a Libra, 5'8", enjoy long walks &....LOL

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I really think we should get one of those food saver things. My husband has three more hunts this year, and one of them is a dedicated hunter.

Hey Chef, I am the oldest of 5 girls, and only 2 of us are married so far. But she is a city slicker, and lives out in California. You would have to do a lot of converting LOL

Well I went to the store and got disposable metal pans. Here are the meals:

Chicken Enchiladas (in the disposable pan and already assembled)

Homemade Beefstew (just needs to be warmed up)

Barbque Ribs (In the disposable pan)

Tacos

Hamburgers

Steaks & Fried Potatoes (Potatoes and onions presliced in Saltwater)

Brawts and Fried Potaotes

I bought tons of breakfast items, and I made homemade popcorn balls, taffy, cookies, and bought lots of halloween candy.

Now some of you mentioned what a great wife I am. Will you all remind him of this come December when I am taking the kids to Disneyland??

Ur amazing! One thing that's really nice is the natural valley Oats N Honey granola bars. Great stuff to just snack on while glassing. Also grab some summer sausage, cheese, and crackers. That's another favorite around here. Don't forget the sodas too, or beer. Always good to have a nice cold tasty beverage when you get back. Though for 4 days I'd think a 12 pack would suffice... Tell him to have a great time and remind him how all the guys here on this site that he loves oh so much say that he's one lucky guy!

Michael

LOL Chef I get the second Sister!!
And I sure wouldn't leave her home! I would even let her drive the truck!! As long as she didn't make to much noise she could ride in front!! I once tried to make one ride in the back for making to much noise!! She kicked the heck out of the back of my truck. I see her from time to time driving down the road in a truck with sides dented in. I kind of feel sorry for the guy!!
Sorry for getting side tracked. K now if you want to stay home then you do what every one else posted. Plus ask for the Credit Card and go get some new Furniture TV and such!! When he gets home tell him I said it was ok! Throw in some hi protein Kipper Snacks, Pigs Feet, Goats milk and Octopus tentacles, maybe some Rocky Mountain Oysters. Oh yeah have oysters, fish, little blue pills and a little nitey on hand for when he gets home. Softens the blow of the new Furniture.
Now on the other hand if you want to go and he makes ya stay home. I think Ex-lax Brownies need to go.
He is a lucky guy.
Rut

When hunting I like easy things I can just heat up. I hate having to cook after a long day of hunting.
Spaghetti is good, also chili, hamburger with onions and potatoes. Anything you can just put on the stove and heat up is great!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-22-06 AT 02:33PM (MST)[p]Here's a recipe for Taco Soup. It's way easy to make and way easy for him to just heat up and throw some cheese on. AND...since he's not home with you...his huntin' buddies get all the pleasant after effects from the beans in the trailer all night long. Hee hee hee

Jenn

Anyway
2 lbs ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans, undrained
1 (16 ounce) can black beans, undrained
1 envelope dry ranch dressing mix
1 (10 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes & chilies or Old El Paso tomatoes & chilies
1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, undrained
2 (7 ounce) cans white shoepeg corn, undrained
2 envelopes taco seasoning mix
taco cheese, Finely shredded
tortilla chips, crushed

Brown meat and onions.
Add remaining ingredients, except cheese and chips.
If soup seems too thick, add 1 cup water.
Simmer, covered for 30 to 45 minutes.
Spoon into bowls.
Sprinkle cheese and chips on top.
Serve while hot.

You are too funny...I sent Taco soup on the last trip. And even my 8 year old predicted the trailer would be smelly.

> I want some toco
>soup!! I never get
>any of the good stuff!
>
>Rut

Ok, ok, ok, Rut. Stop by here on your way out to the hills. I'll make up a big batch for ya! ;-)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom