Measuring loose powder?

HorseCreek

Very Active Member
How do you guys get consistent measurement with loose powder? Especially in the field? I'm trying loose powder for the first time this year. 70 grains on my reloading rcbs scale is equalling out to 100 grains in the quick load tubes. I can weigh and pre load a few at home but in the field how do you keep consistent powder charges?

Traditional >>>------->

Always measure by volume, not by weight. Use a black powder measuring tool, not your scale... You'll be consistent that way...
CSO

It's all about the good times...

MonsterMuleysLogo.png

To be more specific...When I fill my speed loaders with powder, I've weighed them on my scale. They all vary in weight. Does that matter with black powder as much as it does with traditional reloading?
Thanks!

Traditional >>>------->

LAST EDITED ON Sep-11-14 AT 09:35PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-11-14 AT 09:32?PM (MST)

Measure 10 loads with your volumetric Powder loader. Weigh and record the weight of each load. Once you have 10 loads recorded, add all of them together and divide the answer by 10. The answer should be your average throw weight in grains, for 100 grains of black powder Volumetric loads

Then you can weigh all your charges if you want and put them in your speed loaders. You would have no variations in your loads and they will all be within the 100 grain volume you are looking for.

If you want a more precise way of doing it call the manufacturer of the powder you use and ask them how many grains by weight of their powder is equal to 100 grains by volume of their powder.

Make sure you are clear on this, if not post back.

In the field use the same volumetric accessory that you used to throw your weighed loads. You will be close but you cannot be as accurate as weighing your loads. Some people think you get more accuracy by weighing your charges. I use to do it but I compared my group to 3 shots weighted in grains and 3 shots thrown by volume. My group was not off enough for me to weigh my charges. Of course I don't shoot the same loads now so my findings now might be different.

If you really want to test your loads, weigh 3 loads, and throw 3 loads by volume. Then shoot each group and see what your outcome is. The truth is in the pudding.

If you do the test, post back and let us know what the outcome was.

Personally I only weigh blackhorn209 powder and use my volume measure on all the other muzzleloading powders.
Why?
Blackhorn is a consistent grain size and it is expensive, and I don't want to waste it by letting it spill on the ground.

If I had to choose just one method it would be volume measuring with a quality measure and try to find a repeatable way to dispense into my measure.

I agree that volume should be used and the most important factor is consistency. It is very important that you do it the same way every time and use the same measuring tool. So if you tap the measuring tool x number of times to settle the powder to your target volume, always tap it the same number of times or you will get different volumes. Also I have found that different volumetric measuring tools will not be the same. ie. 90 gr. in one tool may be 95 in another so always use the same tool at the range that you will use in the field. Personally, I load 3 speed loaders and the gun the same way I measure at the range and it would be very unlikely you would need more that 4 shots with a muzzy!

I agree that volumetric is best and the key to loading is consistency! So always measure it with the same tool, the same way. So if you tap the measure x times to settle the powder, always tap it the same number of times. Personally, I preload 3 speed loaders and the gun beforehand as you'll likely not get more than 4 shots!

>I agree that volumetric is best
>and the key to loading
>is consistency! So always
>measure it with the same
>tool, the same way.
>So if you tap the
>measure x times to settle
>the powder, always tap it
>the same number of times.
> Personally, I preload 3
>speed loaders and the gun
>beforehand as you'll likely not
>get more than 4 shots!
>
Ditto!
I use a TC plastic dispenser to load the brass measurer/filler to fill gun or speedloaders and always tap the tools, barrel the same and use the same pressure on the rod.....Consistancy gives you consistant shots.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-14-14 AT 04:08PM (MST)[p]I have always been told to measure black powder by volume only, not weight. Just be consistent in charges as possible. I only shoot Goex or Pyrodex though, none of the newer stuff.

I have a plastic powder horn and use a brass powder measure. I also use the T/C black 150 grain capacity measures that hold the bullet, powder and primer. Though I don't use the primer, I have a primer feeder on a lanyard around my neck. I only carry two speed loaders. 3 shots would be a LOT! LOL.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom