Meat Processor Issues

backinthegame

Hi guys...just wanted to drop in with a quick tale about a well-known Utah game processor, located in Draper. My big intention here is not to drag the business's name through the mud, I know they are trying to make a living just like the rest of us, and I've used them a number of times over the years with good enough results...but yesterday I ran into an issue and I'm annoyed enough with it that I figured others might be interested to hear it.

I'm guessing there will be guys commenting on this thread that it's always best to cut and package your own meat, and I don't disagree with that at all...I cut and package some of my own, but obviously not all of it.

Anyhow...my experience...

A month ago I took an elk in to be processed...left four quarters, no backstraps, no tender loins...kept the straps and loins with me to be cut and wrapped at home.

Fast forward to yesterday, the meat is done and ready to be picked up...while loading the meat I notice eight packages of "loin steaks", which obviously seemed odd since there were no straps or loins left with the quarters to be processed.

I went back inside and spoke with the receptionist about the issue, and she brought the owner over to chat. He told me that they label top sirloin as "loin steaks" which come from the hind quarter. No problem, except when I asked him how many packages that would normally yield from an elk he told me "generally two". I mentioned that I had eight packages of loin steak, and he replied "Looks like you made out pretty well then!" I told him sure...except I'm now concerned this isn't my animal...he then went on to assure me that it is 100% my animal, all meat is double-tagged, etc, etc, etc. So again I asked where the eight packages of loin steaks would have come from with no backstraps or tender loins, and he told me "sometimes there will be sections of backstraps left on top of the front or hind quarters"...haha...in the end, he had no explanation other than I'd "made out well."

Now it's possible that nothing is wrong here, that I did end up with extra top sirloin, enough to fill eight packages. I should be able to tell once I thaw and open a package, which I haven't done yet.

The other possibilities as I see them would either be that I've received meat that isn't from my animal, or that they are mis-labeled steaks as "loin" when they really aren't. Neither of these two situations would be ideal.

As I said before, I've used the processor before and always recieved meat that was up to par. Problem is, I now question (as I've heard others do in the past with this particular processor) if the meat I'm getting is my own. I guess that's the million dollar question with many processors unfortunately, and yet another reason to cut and package meat at home exclusively.

I don't see myself using this processor again, and I thought I'd pass my experience along here. Those of us who take the time and go through the effort of proper field care of meat expect to see that pay off on the table, and if the meat on the table is not the meat that we cared for...well, that's not a good thing.

Again...not trying to torpedo this guy's business, just issuing a heads up to fellow hunters as to what I experienced. My previous experiences have been fine.

Good luck the rest of the fall to everyone.

I have been in the meat business all of my life. If the top sirloins were intact on the hindquarters you would have 2 of them. Depending on how many steaks you have in a package you could have 8 packages. One top sirloin on a elk could weigh 5-8 pounds. Hope you figure it out.

How big were the packages and do they have more than one muscle belly? Backstrap is a single muscle that is not overly big (you should know apox how big it should be if you have the real ones in the freezer already). If they have two or more muscle bellys, they can't be backstrap.

Also a month does seem like way to long for processing, even with a generous time hanging for tenderizing. I would have expected a call in no more than 2-3 weeks. If he is indeed waiting 3 weeks before even processing, I think you could be getting a product on the downhill side.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I think you get the same thing no matter where you go now. A few years back we had about 80 lbs of Duck and Goose meat we had breasted out from a few big hunts we did and had about 6-8 people.

Anyways we take this 80# of breasted duck and goose meat into a place in SLC and ask them to make it into Jerky for us. A few weeks go by and they say come get your jerky it's ready.

We go into the place and say were here to pick up our jerky. The guy takes us into the back and there is a 55 gal drum/barrel setting there full of wrapped jerky. He says take a certain number of packages out and there ya go. So how did he know what was our duck and goose meat?

I guess we made out very well because it was the best duck/goose I have ever had in my life.

I would be more worried why it took a month to get my elk cut and wrapped.

This is exactly why no one but butchers my animals but me.

I do my own processing...when I did my top sirloin stks this year I got 4 packages cut thick and 4 in each package..so if they are cut thin you might get eight but i doubt it. Also I butterfly them so if you dont butterfly you coulds get 8 pks.

I hope the "loin" steaks are in fact top sirloin...just a little leery because he told me he generally comes away with two packages of top sirloin from an elk, and I was given eight packages of "loin" steak without any real explanation as to why.

I have left backstraps with this processor in the past and when I have I end up with 8-10 packages of "loin" steaks, same number I have now.

I should be able to tell what cut of meat is in the packages once I thaw one.

Since a couple guys have mentioned that four weeks seems long for processing...what do you guys feel like is ideal for hanging/aging?

I always do my own processing and I like to hang elk for 10 days. If the temps are in the 40's I will hang the elk in my shop but if the temps are warmer than that I have place i can hang it in a cooler for $10. I would think the meat cutter would ask how long you want it hung before processing. Hopefully your elk was processed within the first two weeks and then frozen the rest of the time.

I think you get the same thing no matter where you go now. A few years back we had about 80 lbs of Duck and Goose meat we had breasted out from a few big hunts we did and had about 6-8 people.

"Anyways we take this 80# of breasted duck and goose meat into a place in SLC and ask them to make it into Jerky for us. A few weeks go by and they say come get your jerky it's ready.

We go into the place and say were here to pick up our jerky. The guy takes us into the back and there is a 55 gal drum/barrel setting there full of wrapped jerky. He says take a certain number of packages out and there ya go. So how did he know what was our duck and goose meat?

I guess we made out very well because it was the best duck/goose I have ever had in my life."

There is a place Warren that has a sign that says they only start the jerky machine when they have X amount of meat ready to go. They state right there on the sign that its going to be mixed with other people's meat because of the nature of making jerky.

IDK if that is why your jerky ended up like that but could be??

I dropped my Wyoming bull off the 3rd week of Sept to that same processor and I still have not heard from them. Maybe you got my bull?? Doubt it but I have heard many stories like yours from several different meat processors. Guess I better call them and get an update on my bull!

Silent, What you had a bull, LOL. Hope you get a call back.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

>I dropped my Wyoming bull off
>the 3rd week of Sept
>to that same processor and
>I still have not heard
>from them. Maybe you
>got my bull?? Doubt
>it but I have heard
>many stories like yours from
>several different meat processors.
>Guess I better call them
>and get an update on
>my bull!

I dropped mine off the first week of October...better give them a ring!

I will personally vouge for the people you are talking about. As long as you have no jerky or sticks it is 100 % your meat. I have seen numerous times the process and how they age their meat. It is top notch and very little meat is wasted with this process. I used to be Leary myself and was worried about this stuff. So any rumors you hear are false and unless there was a big mistake somewhere which is always possible no matter who you go to I would not worry. I have seen the process many times and with the time they age your animal a month sounds about right unless you specifically ask for a quicker turn around. Hope this helps.
Curtis Wilson

http://monarchtaxidermy.com/

I hope you're right Curtis...I haven't been disappointed in the meat I've had cut there in the past. This was just a strange situation with the loin steaks.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom