Medford????

denzdye

I may get relocated to Medford, OR From Utah and was wondering how the hunting in this area is? Thanks

320"+ rosy bulls...150"+ blacktails...oh wait I'm dreaming again. Sorry my friend but its not too good unless you like hunting in forests where you can see 10-15ft (if that)anywhere around you.

You will soon learn that Central / Eastern Oregon...is where its AT! Until the wolves take everything that is.

just my 2 cents

muleyman

Medford will be way different than Utah! There is some good hunting in Oregon but I'm afraid that most is not as good as what you may be used to. Hopefully you got some tags for this year in Utah. There are some great bucks and bulls here but they are not as common as in other states.

Medford area is probably the best area in oregon to live for big game. 5 month general season bear tag with the option to get additional tag and spring bear tag for 3 bear per year. A 5 week general blacktail buck tag. 7 day cascade bull elk season, 365 day cougar season. grouse, quail, turkey, dove, ducks. Salmon/steelhead fishing, bass fishing, ocean fishing is less than 2 hours. If people think medford has little oportunity they have there head in the sand. Then with a several hour drive over the cascades you get into geese, chukar, draw deer and elk units, coyotes, and all normal high desert activitys.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------support your local guzzlers. OHA life member,lapine oregon

It depends what type of hunts you have been on in Utah. I have heard their general hunts can be real crowded also. Oregon has nothing to compare with Utahs limited entry hunts. But those can be difficult to draw even for residents. I live 30 minutes from Medford and I agree with baltz, we have a ton of opportunities all around us. If you bowhunt you will love it here. The general Cascade rifle elk season is horrible. WAY to many people and an average 6% success. Archery is a month long and you can go most anywhere in the state. The deer hunting around here isn't bad. Anyone that puts in their time usually gets their blacktail. Our mule deer herds are hurting but that doesn't mean you can't find one. I drew a Book Cliffs Muzzleloader Deer tag this year. I will probally see more bucks in a week in Utah than I have seen in the last 10 years in Oregon.

I'm a Utah transplant living just north of Medford near Roseburg. PM me with questions and I think I can help you out some.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-15-11 AT 05:05PM (MST)[p]Baltz brings up a good point, there are tons of opportunities that are different than utah. And if you have interests beyond hunting, it can be a great area. Whitewater rafting, salmon and steelhead fishing, not too far from some great ocean activites like crabbing, deep sea fishing, etc. You won't find 375" Rocky mountain elk or big muleys, but don't despair, there are tons of awesome opportunities close by and central and eastern oregon do have some similarities to Utah.

I've lived in medford for 6 years now, find your self a friend that has lived here forever and is not tight lipped and maybe you might have some success, I've had very little on the general hunts round here...

build points, the late archery can be ok...

If you are reaonably hardcore, it is not not unreasonable to kill a blacktail deer that is at or near the Boone and Crockett minimum of 135 in southern Oregon.

You will have to drastically change your style of hunting and get accustomed to not seeing a lot of deer. It may take a couple of years to get your skill level up to where it needs to be to fit this style of hunting (brush, wooded terrain), but if you put in the time it can be done. Again, blacktails take a totally different approach than muleys. There may be a few areas near Medford where it is open country, but I think this is the exception especially as you move north.

Excavator

Medford would be a great place to live like others have said. Lots to do in the outdoors in that part of Oregon. I would suggest looking at getting "Blacktail Trophy Tactics 2 by Boyd Iverson", "Trophy Blacktails, The Science of the Hunt by Scott Haugen", "Mapping Trophy Bucks by Brad Herdon", and Elknut's book & and DVD collections. You will be set for hunting deer and elk in Oregon. Good luck and have fun.

Back
Top Bottom