Media Health Care Lies

BrianID

Very Active Member
All healthcare workers thinking that we need extreme government restrictions to keep everyone safe from COVID19 is one of the biggest lies being spread by the media. Many doctors and nurses think many of these restrictions are ridiculous. We know some of the restrictions will do little or nothing to slow the spread of COVID. The same number of people are going to get COVID if we take extreme measures like Michigan or we become more relaxed like Sweden. It will just be spread over a longer period of time with restrictions like Michigan.

I do think it was a good idea to have social distancing restrictions in places like New York. I think some minor restrictions or recommendations in western states would have been more than adequate. We can't just let our guard down but we really need to pull these restrictions back significantly because the psychological, economic and harm to our children's education is significant.

The other big lie is that health care workers are being overworked right now. Most doctors, nurses and other healthcare workers are working less hours and some have even been "temporarily laid off". Some of the healthcare workers that I work with may be overly stressed about COVID but I haven't seen anyone overworked. I have friends and family working healthcare all across the country and none of them are saying they have been overworked. Almost all of them worked less hours in April than average. Remember April was the peak month for COVID in the US. Private healthcare workers are not in the military and cannot be mandated to work more than what their contract states. Any nurse or doctor that worked excessive hours in hotspots like New York last month choose to do so. No one made them. I have a coworker that went to New York last month to help. After being there for a day, they told him they didn't need him any longer.

Last edited:
I work in healthcare in Northern Utah.
I completely agree with your post. Over protective. Vulnerable still be careful. Be smart, but get back to work and life.

I know some hot spots got pretty busy but when you sign up to be a healthcare worker there is always that risk and it's your calling and dedication.

Speaking from recent experience, it was my observation that a nurse needs at least 2 hours a day on their phone while working their shift. And it's no wonder patients die in the hospital because the nurses are out in the hall yelling to each other and laughing all night long and none of the patients can sleep. That will kill anybody.

A friend of mine is an MD, only working 3 days per week since the corona/COVID thing started. His is a private practice, the "stay Home" stuff kept people from going in. He's ready to get back to work, like the rest of us.

roadrunner and eelgrass,

I know there have been some healthcare workers that have worked much harder than average in April but that is the exception not the rule. In most hospitals, things are much slower than average but the the anxiety levels are high. I know of a handful of people that have quit due to anxiety about this virus at my hospital.

Most of the healthcare workers that complain they are overworked are still signing up for extra shifts month after month. In New York many doctors and nurses that traveled to help were given little or no work because hospitals were able to cover those shifts with their own employees picking up extra shifts. Sometimes hospital management will set up the employees to work "short staffed" but any of those employees are welcome to quit and work somewhere else that treats them better. I've seen many people I work with over the years feel overworked but they are the ones that are choosing to work extra hours so I don't feel bad for them anymore. With the exception of doctors in residency, no doctor or nurse has to work excessive hours. The doctors and nurses that are working 60-80+ hours a week are making a choice to do that, just like farmers, teachers, construction workers, business owners and others who choose to work excessive hours.

Last edited:
roadrunner and eelgrass,

I know there have been some healthcare workers that have worked much harder than average in April but that is the exception not the rule. In most hospitals, things are much slower than average but the the anxiety levels are high. I know of a handful of people that have quite due to anxiety about this virus at my hospital.

Most of the healthcare workers that complain they are overworked are still signing up for extra shifts month after month. In New York many doctors and nurses that traveled to help were given little or no work because hospitals were able to cover those shifts with their own employees picking up extra shifts. Sometimes hospital management will set up the employees to work "short staffed" but any of those employees are welcome to quite and work somewhere else that treats them better. I've seen many people I work with over the years feel overworked but they are the ones that are choosing to work extra hours so I don't feel bad for them anymore. With the exception of doctors in residency, no doctor or nurse has to work excessive hours. The doctors and nurses that are working 60-80+ hours a week are making a choice to do that, just like farmers, teachers, construction workers, business owners and others who choose to work excessive hours.

Not telling me anything I already don't know. Last post was a statement, not a question.

Thanks though.

eelgrass,

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with workers being loud at night so patients couldn't sleep. Many people that work night shift get after anyone that is loud and interrupting patients sleep but every hospital and floor on the hospital has its own unique culture. Lack of sleep can be very hard on some patients during their hospital stay.

I can see how brutal it would be if you was in NY when it was at its worst. Now is only a little better. But how much of the news was just for ratings?

eelgrass,

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with workers being loud at night so patients couldn't sleep. Many people that work night shift get after anyone that is loud and interrupting patients sleep but every hospital and floor on the hospital has its own unique culture. Lack of sleep can be very hard on some patients during their hospital stay.
Thanks BrianID, My friend was in ICU after open heart surgery and he actually filed a complaint with the hospital. It got very quiet after that for the rest of his stay. My wife was in after that and she said the only time it got quiet was after she pushed her call button. Then the nurses scattered like a bunch of quail.

There are some very lovely and caring nurses too.

The following is hear/say from someone I know and trust.

Told me she had coffee with an ER Doctor who had just quit his job.

An ambulance arrived with a car crash victim, dead on arrival from the crash injuries.

The hospital tested the body. And it tested positive for Covid 19.

They wanted him to sign a death certificate saying

Cause of death, Covid 19

He quit on the spot

Well, a high fever could have caused him to crash.(eye roll)

You know what I hate? The phrase 'Shelter in Place' It makes it sound like we're little kids hiding from the boogie man with a gun, and we're defenseless waiting for the government to come rescue us. Oh, please hurry!

roadrunner and eelgrass,

I know there have been some healthcare workers that have worked much harder than average in April but that is the exception not the rule. In most hospitals, things are much slower than average but the the anxiety levels are high. I know of a handful of people that have quit due to anxiety about this virus at my hospital.

Most of the healthcare workers that complain they are overworked are still signing up for extra shifts month after month. In New York many doctors and nurses that traveled to help were given little or no work because hospitals were able to cover those shifts with their own employees picking up extra shifts. Sometimes hospital management will set up the employees to work "short staffed" but any of those employees are welcome to quit and work somewhere else that treats them better. I've seen many people I work with over the years feel overworked but they are the ones that are choosing to work extra hours so I don't feel bad for them anymore. With the exception of doctors in residency, no doctor or nurse has to work excessive hours. The doctors and nurses that are working 60-80+ hours a week are making a choice to do that, just like farmers, teachers, construction workers, business owners and others who choose to work excessive hours.

Are you saying health care workers work the system and like money too?

Are you saying health care workers work the system and like money too?

You know that is what I'm saying. Just like any line of work, people have different motivations for working excessive hours. The ones that are doing it for the money get burned out. There are also many that enjoy working. I know several doctors and nurses that work "free clinics" and do regular mission trips because they just like helping people.

WE ARE NOT IN THE SAME BOAT ...

We are in the same storm, but not in the same boat. Your ship could be shipwrecked and mine might not be. Or vice versa. Some live in a crowded hot spot, while others in a densely populated state or county.

Some submit to wearing a mask-others blatantly refuse to wear one. Both claim it’s right.

For some, quarantine is optimal. A moment of reflection, of re-connection, taking it easy in house shoes, with a cocktail or coffee. For others, this is a desperate financial & family crisis.

For some that live alone facing what seems to be endless loneliness. While for others it is peace, rest & more quality time with their families.

With the $600 weekly increase in unemployment some are bringing in more money to their households than they were when working. Others are working more hours for less money due to pay cuts or loss in sales.

Some families of 4 just received $3400 from the stimulus while other families of 4 saw $0.

Some were concerned about getting a pop up pool or buying steaks for a cookout, while others were concerned if there would be enough bread, milk and eggs to last thru the weekend.

Some want to go back to work because they don't qualify for unemployment and are running out of money. Others who aren’t suffering want to slander those who break the quarantine.

Some are home spending 2-3 hours each weekday with their child online schooling while others are spending 2-3 hours each day to educate their children on top of an 8-10 hour workday. Sometimes Mom does it all, maybe Dad, while other times neither... to the frustration of teachers and their administrators.

Some have experienced the near death of the virus, some have already lost someone from it and some are not sure if their loved ones are going to make it. Others who have suffered no losses don't believe this is a big deal.

Some have faith in God and expect miracles during this. Others say the worst is yet to come.

So friends, we are not in the same boat. We are going through a time when our perceptions and needs are completely different. We are stuck between listening to those who know it all, and know it alls who know nothing but claim to know it all.

Each of us will emerge, in our own way from this storm. It is very important to see beyond what is seen at first glance. Not just looking, actually seeing. Not just reading the headlines, but going deeper into the article to get the details before you form an opinion.

We are all on different ships during this storm experiencing a very different journey.

Realize that, be patient and be kind

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom