Meeting for Roan predator control

GJHUNTER

Hey guys just wanted to give everyone a heads up on a meeting next Tuesday at the fair grounds in in Rifle. This proposal could be pivotal on how they try to manage the mule deer herds going forward.you can see the attached link for more info

Two key issues I see in this study are:

this study will be done in private lands and might not include all the areas in which the herds migrate.

the other is that this "predator" control study does not include coyotes, only mountain lions and bears. Please pass the word and hope to see you there

http://www.gohunt.com/read/news/colorado-plans-to-eliminate-predators-to-save-mule-deer

Andy

That's great information to know! Thanks for passing along.

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

I don't see how you can study the effect of predators on mule deer by only reducing 2 of the 3 dominant mule deer predators? That hurts my head.

Knowing first hand how many dam cats and bears we have around here I think it's a positive step in the right direction. The NW corners of the state was receiving transplanted bears from the Aspen area up until a few years ago which really added to our population. Now we have bears coming out of the woodwork. Cats are about the same way just not from being transplanted. So regardless if this plan omits coyotes I am in favor of it as it's a positive step over doing nothing.

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

My point is they reduce cats and bears in their study area and mule deer numbers don't increase cause the coyotes are eatin 50% of the fawns so they then conclude predator control has no positive impact on mule deer populations. When in fact it would have, had they also reduced the coyotes in their study area as well. That's the part that hurts my head.

>My point is they reduce cats
>and bears in their study
>area and mule deer numbers
>don't increase cause the coyotes
>are eatin 50% of the
>fawns so they then conclude
>predator control has no positive
>impact on mule deer populations.
>When in fact it would
>have, had they also reduced
>the coyotes in their study
>area as well. That's the
>part that hurts my head.
>

Excellent point. Are they devious enough to put together a plan like that? I don't know, but it's not politically correct with the city liberals to kill predators.
Having said that we haven't been seeing or hearing as many coyotes as we did in the past where we hunt near Meeker. Any time there's snow, we see lion and bear tracks.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom