Memorial weekend camping trip to Modoc County

huntindad4

Very Active Member
So me and the wife and kids are planning a 5 day trip to the Alturas area on Memorial weekend and are planning to shoot some coyotes and do some fishing in the lakes but was also wondering about the ground squirrel activity and if the area landowners allow access for this purpose like they do up in the Dorris area.

Also looking for fishing tips. Have fished Ballard and C and F and Duncan but not much else.

Thanks for any help.

Bill

Look out Forkie, FTW is watching us!

Thanks for the info PC I fished the Hat once and could not believe the number of fish that would not take my flies LOL.

Bill

I was about 16 and by the time I figured out they weren't gonna bite I couldn't find any bait but believe me we looked.

Amazing how they rose repeatedly every 10 seconds or so the same fish would rise appearing careless but when my fly drifted perfectly into the strike zone the little demons wouldn't even consider it. Worst part was we were dropped off to walk from the dam downstream to the bridge at highway 89 (I think) and so we had to endure the torture thousands of times over and being 16 we endured without beer.

I would like to know how many fish are in that stretch of water.

Bill

If you're talking about the restricted section, I don't know about numbers, but there are some HUGE browns in that little creek. pc

"Worst part was we were dropped off to walk from the dam downstream to the bridge at highway 89"

...there's a dam above Hat creek?? I never knew that, thought it was spring fed, and i get over that way quite a bit. I'll have to check it out. Grasshopper patterns have worked for some pretty decent trout for me over there on the Hat and the Pit. Those trout have PHD's when it comes to avoiding a imitation but a good hopper fly will make them stupid when there are naturals about.

I don't know Jack about the Alturas area, been there only a couple times, but i seem to remember a neat old time saloon-restaurant right downtown that is worth stopping in for a cold beverage. It's been a long time and places like that are closing all the time but i really get a kick outa old time, lets clean up and head to town, places like that.

Joey

It's not really a dam, it's the Hat #2 powerhouse just below Baum Lake. I believe the bridge is Carbon Bridge over Hwy 299 headed towards Fall River Mills.
Sisq

Pretty sure your right on both counts Sisq. PC we saw a gal with a huge brown that she caught on a spinner! Bill Look out Forkie, FTW is watching us!

Sage, are you talking about the Brass Rail, on the NE side of town?? I think most of the others are closed.

If it's warm the squirrells will be out BUT the grass has grown so high, it'll be harder this year. There are public areas you can shoot them on. And Some will let you shoot them on private if you ask. One round through their wheel line and you'll never be invited back though. Cedarville has miles of ranches with squirrels on em. You might try that.

Have fun.

Thanks a TON Slayer that helps.

We may go over towards Cedarville.

+1 on the being careful shooting through the Wheel Line I have seen a few guys run off in the Dorris area and talked to more than one landowner unwilling to let people shoot because of others' lack of sensibility.

I met a couple guys from over that way a few years back that were here hunting Aleutian Geese and I helped them out and they told me to get ahold of them if I wanted to hunt geese there so I may try to find their number and see if they have any squirrels or a hookup on other property.

Bill

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom