Mexican gray wolf recovery program

Trad Bow 1979

So if I understand this correctly NMDGF will begin managing the wolf population with its own biologists and resources with less big government involvement. Would this include possibilities of future management hunts? I know this subject brings a lot of doom and gloom But I would consider this a win for us. That is if I'm understanding it correctly. I apologize for not sharing a link but it should be in everyone?s email from the dept.

You are not understanding correctly. Al that meanings in NM game and fish is going to be involved with wolves management assisting feds. Gov Martinez pulled NM game and side out of wolf program. Now Grisham is putting them back involved. Not necessarily a bad thing but not taking over management.

>Probably have to get past the
>Federal Endangered Species Listing before
>hunts are allowed.

I'm not so worried about that as I am Just glad it looks like it's going to the state level versus having the feds tell us how to manage our wildlife

If the wolf population has reached a level where the Feds are ready to hand management back to the State, then I take that as a sign that the war is already lost. The only interest I would have in hunting/killing a wolf would be my hope that it would preserve another 50 deer, elk, or antelope each year for us to hunt. I otherwise have no interest in what wolf meat stew might taste like.

In order for state to take over wolf management the wolf population has to reach 500 individuals or 300 breeding pairs I can't remember exact number but it's a lot. The email that was sent out said population was 131 documented in wild in Az and NM ( likely more) with 280 in captivity. What we have now is just the tip of the ice burg

Old commission was doing there best to prevent releases, new government and commission are going to open flood gates. Next 4+ years I'm thinking wolf population in going to explode. Hope I'm wrong.

It is my contention that anti-hunters drive programs like this. They'd rather all the elk and deer be wiped out than for us to have the ability to hunt them. I ran into a guy this year on my elk hunt from Albuquerque, he was telling me back in the 60's and 70's the Sandia Mountains were loaded with deer. Rather than allow muzzle-loaders or hunters to harvest more animals they released mountain lions. Now there are still deer but not nearly the numbers there once was. The people pushing these programs won't be happy until there are only predators. This is a perfect example of why we need to encourage hunting and be kind every spring when we see people saying I've never hunted but I drew a 16d bull tag where do I go.

>I'm not so worried about that
>as I am Just glad
>it looks like it's going
>to the state level versus
>having the feds tell us
>how to manage our wildlife
>

I see it more as a step in MLG's, Game Commission (new) & (dare I say)Dems. desire to transform "Game & Fish" into 'Department of Wildlife'.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom