Middlefork Boise on fire too

This one may burn until we get some significant moisture and cooler temps or snow. Will make it interesting for the early buck tag.

I called down to the North Fork Ranger station today only to hear that it's getting really ugly down there.

Should be interesting to see if some of us can get into our sheep units in a couple of weeks.

Good luck to all of the firefighters and homesteaders down there!
Many on the Salmon River road have been evacuated already.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-15-12 AT 11:08AM (MST)[p]Trinity Ridge Fire: $5.8Million and only 5% containment, using 866 people.

Talk about futile. Unfortunately they show 20mph winds.

National Weather Service calls for 20% chance of rain/thunderstorms up there this weekend.

**After originally posting this I went back in and blew up the entire Western US on the fire maps and it seems pretty damn bad! If fire is good for deer/elk habitat, there should be some pretty good hunting down the road but I have a feeling a lot of people will be posing for help finding new areas.

Maybe not the best year to have a Goat tag. You know on my scouting trip two weeks ago i had seen lots of people with campfires, and cars parked over cheet grass they really need to enforce that better.

My favorite hunts are because they were with friends and family not just because "I got one".

"You know on my scouting trip two weeks ago i had seen lots of people with campfires, and cars parked over cheet grass they really need to enforce that better."

Absolutely!
Although these fires are typically lightening based.
Lots of lightening in that steep dry country every Summer.

That sucks. Tons of 2 wheelers running around all over that Pine/Featherville country. Every time someone tips one of thos over, fresh fuels hits the ground next to hot exhast. REALLY BAD SITUATION.

Wow.

No machine should be allowed back there in extreme fire danger situations. If they are allowed, they shouldn't be without a fire extinguisher on board.
Might not help much but at least its a chance.

Someone needs to post a link to what caused that fire. I never heard that it was anything but lightning. Lightning causes almost every fire that is started. I get tired of people and agency's that point the blame every time at people. All that will do is get us kicked off of public land.

A couple years ago I was fishing at Salmon Falls Res. Several friends were with me. A lonely cloud came over and next thing we see a lightning strike and a fire soon was raging. When I got to the Boat inspection place the guy there said he saw a white ford truck leaving the area. I called him a liar.

On Monday the news paper said it was human caused. I called the BLM and told them I have 7 eye witnesses that would testify that lightning started it. I told them the names and then I told them that after they talked to the people I wanted a retraction printed in the paper. They did. Ron

Helluva story.

Good on ya for the diligence with that fire reporting.
Lightning is the primary cause of most fire by a large margin.

I agree with broomd. Lightning is the big one, but why not prevent as many of the ones that are in our hands. Maybe something similar to when conditions are extremely dry and they shut down campfires. I would think that OHV's cause almost as many, if not more than campfires.

>Someone needs to post a link
>to what caused that fire.
>I never heard that it
>was anything but lightning. Lightning
>causes almost every fire that
>is started. I get tired
>of people and agency's that
>point the blame every time
>at people. All that will
>do is get us kicked
>off of public land.
>
>A couple years ago I was
>fishing at Salmon Falls Res.
>Several friends were with me.
>A lonely cloud came over
>and next thing we see
>a lightning strike and
>a fire soon was raging.
>When I got to the
>Boat inspection place the guy
>there said he saw a
>white ford truck leaving the
>area. I called him a
>liar.
>
>On Monday the news paper said
>it was human caused. I
>called the BLM and told
>them I have 7 eye
>witnesses that would testify that
>lightning started it. I told
>them the names and then
>I told them that after
>they talked to the people
>I wanted a retraction printed
>in the paper. They did.
> Ron

If there were an "eye roll" icon on this board, I'd use it here.

the artist formerly known as "gemstatejake".

Could be a good thing for years to come, but I hope they get it under control soon. Really sucks for all those with the Early 39 tag!

http://www.inciweb.org/incident/article/3088/15513/

Overview: The Trinity Ridge Fire started on August 3, 2012 and appears to have been caused by a UTV that caught fire along a roadway. The fire is located in remote country and has the potential to grow quite large due to the very dry conditions, the terrain, and types of fuel in the area. The Western Great Basin National Type-II Incident Management Team 7 (IC Suwyn) assumed command of the incident at 6:00 A.M. on August 6, 2012.

Evacuations are starting. Not a good sign. News report cites Firefighter as saying the question is not "if" but "when" the fire get's into Pine and Featherville.

I'm one of them poor chaps with an early 39 tag good thing I have a flexible job cause it looks like if I get any chance at all to go up there huntin it'll have to be a spur of the moment deal!
TICK
TALL, WIDE, AND HANDSOME

I WAS one of those poor chaps with the early 39 tag but I returned it on Tuesday to F&G and swapped it for a general tag because I wont be able to get in to where i want to be by the end of August and then September is booked with Elk hunting. I'd rather hunt where i want in October than the tiny sliver of 39 that's open now.

>I agree with broomd. Lightning is
>the big one, but why
>not prevent as many of
>the ones that are in
>our hands. Maybe something similar
>to when conditions are extremely
>dry and they shut down
>campfires. I would think that
>OHV's cause almost as many,
>if not more than campfires.
>

Why not just close off the entry to all the forest and public lands at road heads. No cars, trucks, bikes, or other machines allowed. Foot trafic only allowed after an inspection was completed by a certified pack/personal trained employee. Only wild animals would be able to enter the woods. Maybe we could close the woods down from July 1st on until Oct 1st only after detailed survey's have been completed by some governing office. Then we would elimiminate any human caused fires best we could right??
It not that we have been putting out fires for the last 30rs that should have burned. Not that logging has been closed down everywhere. No course its not. Its the dam ATV's and lack of regulation.
I'm ranting a bit but come on people....really?. Fires suck I don't like then as the next guy but they are going to happen like or not and need to happen. People will be saying how great the country is 2 yrs from now. Bet a paycheck on it.

Maybe we will share these sentiments about some of these burnt areas in 10-15 years:

from a Montana Outfitters Website:

Hunting the Burn
In the summer of 1988 fire swept through the Scapegoat Wilderness burning 240,000 acres. The fire destroyed everything in its path including two of our hunting camps and approximately 70% of our general season hunting area.

Looking at the remains of the burn our future looked bleak. The charred black earth resembled pictures of the moon,? no grass, no flowers, and no brush along the creeks, just dirt and rock burnt black from the heat. The creeks were murky, filling with ash from the surface. The trees that were left standing appeared as skeletons waiting to be laid down and put to rest. Casualties to the deer and elk seemed high as we occasionally saw burnt corpses of the unlucky ones. There seemed to be nothing left,? no chipmunks fussing at our intrusion and no birds chirping a welcome. Just an eerie silence that engulfed us and left an empty feeling in the pit of our stomachs.

My father and I rode in silence through this devastation, each wondering what kind of future we would have in this area that we so dearly loved. Tears filled my eyes for it seemed an old friend had passed on and I would never have the chance to properly say goodbye.

Because the fire had started naturally from a lightning strike, the Forest Service allowed it to burn. It smoldered in a two acre patch for a couple of weeks causing little problems. But weather conditions were dry and had been for quite some time. The country was ripe for fire and it took only a wisp of wind to give us one. Within a couple more weeks the fire had grown quite large. The Forest Service then decided to try to control it. But it was too late and all efforts were fruitless. Eventually the fire burned itself out on the plains outside of Augusta, Montana.

Beauty Restored to the Scapegoat Wilderness
Eleven years have passed since the Canyon Creek fire of 1988. The ugliness that I once saw when I looked at the burn is gone. The feeling of despair when we lost our hunting camps and most of the hunting area, well, that feeling is gone too.

Now when I look back at the burn I see a new and beautiful wilderness. There is lots of grass, stirrup high to a tall horse in places. In places there is grass so high it can' t stand anymore and lays a foot thick on the ground. Many times I have seen mule deer buck racks, but no bodies as they walk through this tall grass. I see trees starting to come back and beginning to provide excellent cover for deer and elk. This new growth appears as a carpet in some places, only two or three feet high, and up to eight or ten feet high in other places. I see clean, clear water running through the rivers and streams. And in areas that were jungles before we can now see out at the country. In places where visibility used to be a hundred yards hunters can see 400,500,600 yards. Elk can be spotted for miles, from one drainage to the next, one mountain to another. This always brings a smile to my face, after all elk are our business.

As the years have passed my guides and I have learned many things about hunting in the burn. The great vegetation we have now has increased the number of deer and elk in the area and our success rate has jumped higher then we have ever had. Higher than almost any wilderness outfitter can honestly boast of. The good visibility provided by the burn allows us to do more spotting and watch game to better learn their patterns. It is not uncommon to watch elk in the next drainage over or on the next mountain over and see them well in to the evening so we are able to make a good strategy to hunt them the next day.

>Gonna need to change the title
>of this post to North,
>Middle, and South Fork Boise
>on fire.

if we don't get any weather soon this thing could easily burn for another month. Feel bad for the residents up in that country. Wonder where all the deer and elk scattered to?

ridgelineoutdoors.com

They are forecasting lighting over the weekend. Unfortunately, we are only half way through fire season, and there is going to be more fire up on the mountain.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom