MIL VS. MOA FOR HUNTING? PRO'S? CONS?

elkassassin

Long Time Member
I Know It Might Be Personal Preference?

But Let's Say We Are Using The Gun For Hunting Only!

I Believe Most LongRangers Using Their Guns For Targets Only Are Mostly Using MIL?

Wondering Which You Prefer On A Hunting Rifle & Why?

Myself, I'm Old Fashioned SAE Rather Than The Metric System Type A Guy!

Thanks!

10B5FD3D-3EBF-4EDC-AC4D-8D27E353800B.jpeg

He’s been killin in NV for sure.
Howdy Sall!

Where you Been?

I like MOA… I need to learn mil, can be used to accurately estimate range, ie you don’t need a range finder or if yours breaks, and mil can be converted to MOA, it just doesn’t click as easy in my knuckle dragger brain as MOA does so 98% of my scopes use MOA

Holdover rules. mtmuley
Always find it funny when you hear a guy all bent out of shape about turrets and dialing scopes but then tells you about the great shot he made with a hold over.

Just think about that for a minute…

Mils is easier and faster to use since all metrics in 10’s. But with today’s digital systems and range finders with built in drops it kind negates the advantage on being able to do the math quickly in your head.

If you were starting from scratch and buying scopes it would be wise to go with MILS. But if your like me with a bunch of MOA scopes there isn’t enough advantage to make it worth while to dump all MOA and switch to MILS.

I use MOA and my hunting buddy uses MILs. He doesn’t get his shots off any faster than I do in a hunting situation.

Always find it funny when you hear a guy all bent out of shape about turrets and dialing scopes but then tells you about the great shot he made with a hold over.

Just think about that for a minute…
Ummmmmm... Tongue in cheek. mtmuley

I've been shooting the same rifle with the same scope for the last 30 years. My Dad worked up a new round about 20 years ago that worked well....loaded about 300 rounds and I still have roughly 225 left. I figure I will have enough to last me the next 40 years......I'll be dead by then. What is MOA (minute of angle?) and MIL? I don't ever shoot that far that I won't be on hide when I pull the trigger.

I had more fun with the standard reticle on my K9 and K4. Simple days, long hikes and good times.

Used a Burris 4-12X on my .338 with a duplex nearly identical to every other duplex.

Got used to mildot duing my early USN days.

I've got a couple NF scopes that I really like as most of my shots are of the sitting kind where I have some time to decipher range/windage. MOAR has become easy to read with a bit of practice.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom