Military Oryx

devobrodie

Hi My son is currently serving in the USMC, he will be out in Dec. what is the deal with the Military tag draw for Oryx? I would love to try and take him when he gets out, I am not sure if it is for active duty only or??? He is infantry and has not a chance to hunt for the past 3+ years as they only get block leave usually pre or post deployment, so we never put him in as there was no way to get the time off to go. If anyone knows if he is eligible for this hunt once he gets out please let me know, Thanks!

They offer hunts for returning afgan/Iraq new mexico resident veterans. But you would have had to already put in the draw for the hunts. Last year I think there were a few special military Oryx tags that were left over? Does anyone else remember what they were?

the only way to get a tag is to apply in the draw. There are some leftover tags some times for the military hunts. I believe they they can be return vets as well as active duty.

Returning Iraq/Afghanistan Resident Veterans Only Hunts
(These are Once-in-a-Lifetime Hunts.)
The hunts listed below have been established for New Mexico resident veterans who have served
on active military duty in Iraq or Afghanistan (see Oryx Hunts for Iraq-Afghanistan Returnees,
page 14). All hunts are held on White Sands Missile Range (WSMR). No more than two persons
may apply on each application. Application must be made by March 18, 2015. Proof of Military
Service Required: Each year, applicants must provide proof of military service in Iraq or
Afghanistan before the application deadline. A copy of Orders or DD-214 can be e-mailed:
[email protected], faxed: (505) 476-8180, or mailed to: NMDGF, Special Hunts
Office, P.O. Box 25112, Santa Fe, N.M. 87504. Blaze-Orange Clothing: Hunters must wear at
least 244 square inches of blaze-orange clothing while hunting on military property.

OK thanks, I was thinking he could apply next year, but it look like he doesn't qualify, he is an Afghanistan vet, but is non-res. We will just have to get a tag in the regular draw!! Good luck in the draw this year.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom