Military service members

vthokee

Ok this is not exactly hunting related but I am looking for some opinions here. I have been active duty AF for going on 10yrs now. I have been unhappy the last 2yrs. I just PCS'd a few months ago to a new base and I am working on a new airframe. I am thinking of getting out and going to the air national guard or the air reserves. I know I am half way to retirement but when I have to force myself to get up and go to work I think that it is time for some change somewhere. One of the biggest things that is keeping me from gettin out is the health care. I hear what my civilian friends and family pay and I can't believe how much it cost now. Anyone who has retired, went active to reserves or just seperated I am looking for some advice here. We are at a crossroads on what to do.

Thanks

There are a LOT of folks who are just tired of their job, and like you, have to force themselves to punch in, yet they continue on because it's a necessary evil(to work). Others change careers. Can you cross train into a new field? You still have a lot of years to retire, though they will probably go pretty fast if you can stabilize your happiness. I know I had a great job and kicked myself in the arse many, many times for not staying in the AF-was a jet eng mech.

Medical is a huge reason to stay in right now if you have a family. And I know you are aware of the other perks the military offers. I know if I had to do it again, I would re-up every time and retire military, but that's just me. Weigh the pros and the cons honestly, then move ahead where the scale leads you. Good luck on your decision.

www.unitedwildlifecooperative.org

I got out at the 9 year point in 2008. Glad I served but have NEVER regretted getting out. I have a good job with LM so I have good benefits though....There is so much that you can't do or is severley difficult when you are active duty, you just have to organize your priorities and go from there.
Good luck with your decision.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Longun,

I've been a Marine for just over 27 years now. I have throughout my career been in units I was unhappy with. Twice I almost got out. I'm sure glad I didn't. The thing that kept me in is knowing that whatever was making me unhappy at the time was only temporary. I knew it would get better because I had been around and been very happy in other units. It's just a matter of time.
It will get better and you will become happier again. Just remember why you joined and why you chose to stay. I've been on several deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan and it has worn on the family but they have been really supportive. They know it's almost over for me.

Stick around, the retirement is the best you can get from a career for so short a time as 20 years. Then you would still be able to start a new career and get another retirement pension.
Good luck

I retired after 23 years in the ANG here in Utah. My only regret is not being active military. I should have joined the Air Force full time. I tell my 12 year old son to keep his grades up so he can fly planes in the Air Force or Navy.
Been unhappy a number of times but moving to a different unit helped a little. Find what is depressing you and change it.
If you can stay ,maybe you should..

I am active duty AF... It's been an awesome ride so far (8 years)... They keep stationing me exactly where I ask, so I cannot complain. I will do 12 more and say goodbye! I work, deploy and hunt. My life couldn't be any simpler at this point. Not to mention, when I get out I will be able to write my own ticket due to the career field I am in.

Cross train
Do a BOP

OR...

Get out... If I got to the point where I wasn't having fun anymore or was not happy, I'd be out.

I came to a similar cross road at my 10 year mark in the Air Force as a Security Forces member in 2003. I made the decision to leave active duty and join the AF Reserves as an IMA, I have never looked back. The decision worked well for me and allowed me to pursue another career while still being part of the military and not giving up those 10 years of active duty. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Ex. US Navy for me.

Question for ya----

If ya get out and go do a new civ. job, what says you will be happy there?

Robb

Are you married? Children? Is that why the major concern for for health care?

I'm going to go the other way on this. If you are not happy, make a life changed. If that includes work, go for it. There IS life outside the military. Is a change of this magnitude scary, hell yes. I resigned my fulltime job to take a commission and took a huge gamble on employment afterward.

If you have another skill, cool. If you have a life long passion, go for it. If you have the GI Bill, go back to school for something else man! The Post 9/11 GI Bill even pays per diem.

Is the active retirement worth it? I suspect but ask me in 4 years when I have mine. I'll be young enough to do another career. But I will not stay a day past 20 active federal service. I am truly to far into it to quit now. You are not.

My wife had 9 years Active. She was not happy with work, her unit, or the way the leadership wouldn't consider options for change. She had always wanted to be a Nurse. She gave her 2 weeks and walked away without looking back. She is completely happy, never regretted the decision, and is doing what she wants to do.

You will get a lot of pressure to stay in. We are trained from a wee Private to push retention. It has nothing to do with being patriotic, serving you country. etc. It's the the ingrained attitude of the service to keep everyone in. But we are all replaceable and there is life outside the Service. If you are not happy, make a change. You can still be VERY patriotic and VERY proud of the service you did to this country, and still be happy.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-01-12 AT 01:35PM (MST)[p]>Longun,
>
> I've been a Marine
>for just over 27 years
>now. I have throughout my
>career been in units I
>was unhappy with. Twice I
>almost got out. I'm sure
>glad I didn't. The thing
>that kept me in is
>knowing that whatever was making
>me unhappy at the time
>was only temporary. I knew
>it would get better because
>I had been around and
>been very happy in other
>units. It's just a
>matter of time.
> It will get better
>and you will become happier
>again. Just remember why you
>joined and why you chose
>to stay. I've been
>on several deployments to Iraq
>and Afghanistan and it has
>worn on the family but
>they have been really supportive.
> They know it's almost
>over for me.
>
> Stick around, the retirement
>is the best you can
>get from a career for
>so short a time as
>20 years. Then you would
>still be able to start
>a new career and get
>another retirement pension.
>Good luck

Mostly what huntFX4 said. Especially the part about jobs only stink for a little while and the second retirement.

Since you mentioned health care as a likely decision point, you would be wise to do a dollar for dollar comparison for a comparable civilian job when you get out, assuming you can find one. If that civy job will make up for the health insurance issues, then your decision may be a bit easier. If not it becomes more difficult.

I pay under $100 a month for four of us; drugs are free on base, copays at the doc are $12 ($25 for a surgery) and the most I pay out in town for drugs is $12 per bottle.

I have to say stay in 10 short years to retirement and your freedom to do ANY job you will want and Medical care isn't cheap these days. The job you have right now is a short time, soon you will rotate into a new one and Hopefully a best one.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Thanks to everyone who commented here. I talked to a good friend back home who got out at his 10yr mark. He old me to stay in and get the retirement then I can get out and do what I want. I will be 43 when I retire so that still leaves me plenty of time to pursue anoher career and gain another retirement.

I spent 9 years 11 months and 4 days in the Navy. I loved almost every minute of it. I had to get out. The anthrax shots screwed up my autoimmune system.
I now take blood thinners every day for the rest of my life.

When i got out i got into an apprenticeship, a power system electrician apprenticeship. I am a high voltage electrician. I went into a field that cannot be shipped over seas. Plus my military time still counts towards years of service. I have 17.5 years of service now.
There is life after the military. I was scared when i got out because you become institutionalized. I looked at the money i would make if i stayed in 20 and if i got out @ 10. And i will be way ahead @ 58. Just because the amount of money i make now versus what i would be making in the service.

I pay 550 a month for medical. A far cry from free. But i make a whole lot more than i did on active duty.

Good luck with your decision, as it is your decision and if i were you i would look at all your options and take most advice with a grain of salt. As you are the one that has to live with the decision.

I'm former Navy, I couldn't wait for the day I got out, 20 something years later, I wish I had stuck it out. I'm not discounting what you're going through but, there's BS in every career, some of the BS is worth putting up with in the long run. While I'm at it, I thank you for your service.

I was AF for 12 yrs & decided to get out due to all the deployments & being away from my family. I didn't wanna miss my kids growing up. I don't regret my decision one bit!!!

If I had stuck it out I would almost be able to retire & have that income along with the free medical, but I wasn't willing to sacrifice my kids growing up. Maybe one day I'll wish I had stuck it out, but I'm at peace with my decision now.

Retired USN. Unless you have a good job set up when you get out the job market is dry. The wages you guys make are unbelievable compared to what I was getting when I was in. Heath care is depending on who you work for, if provided, or self employed. Go online and compare health care prices. You'll be shocked. What your making can't compare right now to the ecomony. I would stay in for 3-4 more years just to see if the economy picks up. Good luck on your decision.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom