Milk River

N

northwesthunter

I have been looking into the Milk River country for mule deer. I know its famous for whiteatails along the river but a guy I know hunted there a year or two ago and said there was plenty of block management land available to access that had good mule deer numbers. I plan to get the maps but thought I would ask on here first. Don't expect a 30"er but hope to see some 20-24" and have the chance at a deer antelope combo if we draw. So is there descent public access for a guy who would make some phone calls or knock on doors or what should I expect? THanks nwhunter

>there descent public access for
>a guy who would make
>some phone calls or knock
>on doors or what should
>I expect? THanks nwhunter

You should expect to see alot of orange painted fence posts and NO HUNTING, DON'T EVEN ASK signs.

Why would you look there for mule deer hunting? Also what part of the Milk River is meanders through alot of country. I guarantee you that anything that holds decent deer is either bought up, leased up or locked up. The pieces in block management get pounded every day and are usually grazed down to bare dirt.

LOTS of better places for mule deer with more access and better quality of deer.

Nemont

you could find that kind of deer off of the river and yes their is some huge block managment places north of that could have a decent buck.

I was looking at the milk rvr country mostly because of talking with a guy who hunted around there and it sounded like an area worth pursuing. I know it covers a lot of country but was trying to get some insight so that on our first trip over we could have some success while scoping out new country so our first year wouldn't be a bust. I am open to anywhere in the northeast or central part of the state with the hope of a deer antelope combo and maybe get teh deer elk combo license and come over and bowhunt for elk and check out the area. We have been hunting deer in Col. but are going to build points for a few years so looking elsewhere. nwhunter

LAST EDITED ON Feb-28-09 AT 10:56AM (MST)[p]I've hunted the milk river a couple of times. It's a great place to hunt whitetails but i wasn't impressed with the muledeer hunting. I have to agree with Nemont, there are a lot better places to hunt mulies in Montana.

7 Mag

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom