Minam unit

S

sparkey24

Does anyone have any info on the minam unit for deer or elk. Looking to try something new this year. Have hunted keating alot when i was a kid with my grandpa but not much else. Not looking for your hot spot just what one could expect. thanks in advance.

I hunted the Minam this past deer rifle season for the first time, although I have backpacked the Eagle Caps several times in the past. Unless you can pack in there isn't much public ground to hunt outside of the wilderness. There are some nice deer - in pockets and unless you find those pockets its tough hunting. We didn't do very good due to the weather - it snowed the day before the season and then was socked in the fist 5 days or so, only saw one small 3x3 and a OK buck on the hike out but he was way out there. Came back for the 2nd weekend and just hunted some ground that was public but only saw lots of does and a couple nice bull elk. This area had been hit pretty heavy opening weekend by the locals - this according to a local that told me about this spot. Its fantastic country to hunt, but for the best luck you need to have access to some private in the foothills for get into the wilderness 8+ miles and then find that "pocket" of good deer. I'm hoping to hit it again next year - good luck to you its a fun unit.

tuff unit to hunt unless you have some stock. This year there was not much killed in elk or deer seasons. Snow can be a big factor in being able to hunt it. Like what was said earlier if you get weather most of the time it will be snow. I talk to some guys that hunted it this year and they said in deer season it snowed on them 8 of the 9 days they were in there, they said there was over a foot above 7000 feet. then in elk season they had a early snow storm that closed alot of the passes in the high country. But if you feel rewarded with a hardcore hunt go for it. there has been some big animals taken out of there in the past.

Back
Top Bottom