Minimum handgun caliber to carry while hunting

J

johnbang

I was in a local (MN)shop looking into a XD45 the other day and the guy behind the counter claimed it was not legal in CO because it did'nt meet minimum caliber to carry in CO for a side arm while hunting? I told him he was full of it? I read thru the regulations and found nothing of the sort? Some info would be appreciated if any of you have exsperience.

You can carry any handgun in CO even while bow hunting. You just can't use it legally to finish off a big game animal unless it is during rifle season and it meets the minimum requirements.

I carry a small Ruger SP101 while bowhunting. It is carried in a holster that sits above where my back pocket is, that way it doesn't hang up on any brush. Carrying a pistol while rifle hunting is extra weight you don't need.

Bean

I have carried a .22 revolver while archery hunting and have taken a couple of squirrels and grouse with it.

Sounds like he misunderstood your reason for purchasing the pistol. If you were to hunt with the pistol there is a minimum as far as ft lbs is concerned. It's that the pistol/revolver used must shoot factory ammo that produces at least 500ftlbs of energy at 50 yards to be leagal for big game. Other than that you can carry any sidearm for personal pertection no matter what season in colorado.

Does a handgun have to be carried in the open or can it be concealed, or does this require a concealed weapons permit.(Colorado)

Open carry only if you do not have a CCW permit. If CCW you can carry however you want, open or concealed.

Also, if you are from MN you need to verify that MN has reciprocity with CO in order to carry concealed. USACarry.com says NO by the way.

Thanks guys for the input, the guy knew I was looking just for a sidearm, but in MN thye like to think your a criminal everytime you look at a handgun in MN. I am ok with carrying not concealed so no biggy there!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom