minox 10x43

greatwestern

Very Active Member
there are two models in this configuration: the standard HG, and the APO (ed glass), and apparently a version of each is German made, with another of each that is not (china?)

anyone with any practical experience with this binocular? what are noticable differences between them (visually)

I think all the newest models (both standard and ed) are made in Germany, and have an improved FOV?

also noticed that the APO version has a lower twilight factor than the standard?

anyway, any experienced input is most welcome...also how the minox hold up against comparably congigured 10x glass (any make or price) from those who've had the opportunity to make such a comparison?

Thank you very much!

Cheers'

LAST EDITED ON Feb-22-11 AT 09:26PM (MST)[p]I do not have any experience with the 10x43s, but I just received a pair of "Shot Show" Minox BF 8x32 BR from Dave at Cameraland for only $179 and free shipping. They are sharp to the edges, focus easily, and are great to hold. I have not done any low light comparisons to my Swarvoski SLCs 10x42, but I am impressed greatly so far. Of course the obvious differences to the Swaros are they are lighter and the field of view is much wider. They also seem more steady in my hands with the 8 power. But what amazes me the most is they seem as clear and crisp as the Swaros to my eyes.

They come with a 30 year warranty, and I expect them to perform well in wet weather. I can tell you the Minox binocs will see equal or better time in the field for me.

Ed
www.huntpacks.com

LAST EDITED ON Feb-23-11 AT 02:35PM (MST)[p]hey thanks Ed...I'm guessing you meant to say 8x42?

I do like 8x in a 32-36mm objective for bow stalking, but right now I'm just looking for the best midsized 10 I can find...have looked through a good few of them in the field

and no offense to anyone, but I hate swarovski glass...pretty much all of it: scopes, spotters, binoculars...I think its more of a clique/cult following that keeps the hype going

I do like some of the glass from leica, zeiss, vortex and steiner, but I have no experience with the minox in this model and power

but maybe someone here has?

Thanks again!

Nope, 8x32 printed on the barrel.

My SLCs are good glass as is my HD 20x60x80 ATS scope. Overpriced....probably, but still incredible glass.

I have had Steiners and Vortex. Didn't care for the Steiners much, and do like the Vortex.

I hope you get to look through some Minox glass, as I am sure you will be impressed as I am.

Ed
www.huntpacks.com

Hi Ed, nah i was just asking because i didn't know there was a BF 8x32...i know there is a BD and a BL

anyway, thanks for your input, and I'll find a way to get a view through them things somehow!

Cheers and Thanks

LAST EDITED ON Feb-24-11 AT 03:51AM (MST)[p]Minox has started producing their top glass in Germany again.

The Japan HG and APO HG are very good-Japan makes good glasses-a step up from all the china ED binos comming out these days in build quality. The Japan HG/APO do not have the best FOV compared to Swar,Zeiss Ect. but its not a noticable problem when the sweet spot is large. These binos have aspherical lenses so the view is pretty good edge to edge.

The new German HG and APO HG have wider FOV and are rumored to give a contrasty Leica Ultravid view, they have new different lens coatings than the Japan HG.

I would take any Minox HG over Zen Ray,other China ED binoculars but I would want to compare them to the new Vortex viper HD that on its way for $600.

Also look at the new (2010) bushnell elite ED binocular (not the discontinued E2) Its a quality Japan built binocular with ED glass, diaelectric prism coatings, aspherical lenses-again with a moderate FOV-around $400.

I have not looked through the German HG's

Hey thanks Timber...you've clarified a few things for sure!

That Kraut APO sounds like the ticket man, but I agree about having to see how the new Vortex work...much friendlier pricing and home-based warranty service

well, I certainly do appreciate the input, and will have to look at that bushnell as well

Cheers and thanks!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-24-11 AT 08:26PM (MST)[p]Before you buy the APO be sure to check out any possible cameraland sales on demos. They had some APO HG german bino demos a while back for around $800.

Check out the cameraland treads on this forum (classifieds) and on 24hourcampfire.com under the classifieds and optics forums.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom