Misc Fees

AfricanAddiction

Curious your thoughts on misc fees some outfitters charge such as the following:

Transport to and from the airport?

Rifle rental?

Ammo?

Alcohol?

Observer rate?

For me personally i despise the pickup and return fee.

I don't agree with rifle rental fee but if it is 10 or 20 a day so be it. 50 a day is highway robbery.

I have no thoughts on this as i don't drink.

I understand charging an observer rate but do not understand why it is for example 250 a day. If the observer is hunting with me the only cost the outfitter has is food, clothes washing and toiletries. I understand a charge but when i see 200 or 250 plus i shake my head.

Your thoughts?

LAST EDITED ON Aug-05-18 AT 03:17PM (MST)[p]This must really be bothering you, since you also posted the same topic over on AR. You got a lot of feedback over there, including from me (DLS). I'm going to answer in a little different format here, since you've posted even more things you don't like paying for. You asked:

Transport to and from the airport?
If you were chartering into camp from town on a Cessna Caravan or even just a 206, you'd pay a hefty air charter fee, so why do you think someone engaging in cost to get to camp via vehicle should do it for no compensation?
They have costs, that pickup doesn't run on fresh air.
Consider it a bonus if the safari operator doesn't charge you, but business as usual if he does. However, I think a per vehicle fee is much more appropriate than a per person fee.

Rifle rental?
If you don't want to bring your own guns, but instead want to use his, why not pay a reasonable rent for the privilege? Would you willingly just give your guns to someone for a couple weeks if you were in his position?

Ammo?
Do I even need to respond to this one? You seriously think ammo is free?

Alcohol?
Varies by operator, just as consumption varies by guest. Some are light to moderate users, so shouldn't be a big deal. However, for those who seriously imbibe, why should safari operator pay for your inebriation?

Observer rate?
This was covered in detail, by many people, over on AR. Doesn't even merit discussion here.

For me personally i despise the pickup and return fee.
I don't agree with rifle rental fee but if it is 10 or 20 a day so be it. 50 a day is highway robbery.
I have no thoughts on this as i don't drink.
I understand charging an observer rate but do not understand why it is for example 250 a day. If the observer is hunting with me the only cost the outfitter has is food, clothes washing and toiletries. I understand a charge but when i see 200 or 250 plus i shake my head.
Your thoughts?
My thoughts... You should probably stick to hunting in South Africa and Namibia where quotas are quite flexible and you can work out whatever kind of deal you want with the people you book hunts with. When you start hunting in other countries where quotas are more limited and it likely takes away from someone else's safari if you get extra animals, so you don't get to so easily add extra animals instead of paying observer rates, then you're naturally going to see higher observer rates, as they can't make it up in extra animals. Either way, the safari operator needs to make a profit to keep doing what he does.

Since you've posed these questions on two different websites, let me pose a few for you to ponder. #1, why should safari daily rates be different in countries such as Zambia, Mozambique or... TANZANIA than in South Africa? #2, Why should trophy fees be higher in some of these countries than in South Africa? #3, why do some people find value in hunting in places like these other countries than in South Africa? #4,Shouldn't everyone just go where it is least expensive and you can negotiate away the daily rate for observers, to be made up in other ways instead of paying higher daily rates, trophy fees and observer rates?

I don't have a problem with most of these items unless I see that someone is really trying to stick it to you. At that point I'm moving on to another outfitter that doesn't charge exorbitant fees. I have a really hard time with a per person fee for pickup and drop off to an airport by vehicle. I've seen some as high as $500 per person. That is a deal breaker as they are making a killing off the transfer fees. I could see it if there was one person but for a group, yep that's not gonna happen on my dollar. I also think if someone is going to charge a daily rifle rental fee, I expect the rifle to be in reasonably good condition. Beyond that, I have no problem being charged the extra amounts. I just look to see what is offered and I can make an informed decision on if the fees are worth it or not.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-05-18 AT 11:56PM (MST)[p]>LAST EDITED ON Aug-05-18
>AT 03:17?PM (MST)

>
>This must really be bothering you,
>since you also posted the
>same topic over on AR.
> You got a lot
>of feedback over there, including
>from me (DLS). I'm
>going to answer in a
>little different format here, since
>you've posted even more things
>you don't like paying for.
> You asked:
>
>Transport to and from the airport?
>
>If you were chartering into camp
>from town on a Cessna
>Caravan or even just a
>206, you'd pay a hefty
>air charter fee, so why
>do you think someone engaging
>in cost to get to
>camp via vehicle should do
>it for no compensation?
>They have costs, that pickup doesn't
>run on fresh air.
>Consider it a bonus if the
>safari operator doesn't charge you,
>but business as usual if
>he does. However, I
>think a per vehicle fee
>is much more appropriate than
>a per person fee.
>
>Rifle rental?
>If you don't want to
>bring your own guns, but
>instead want to use his,
>why not pay a reasonable
>rent for the privilege?
>Would you willingly just give
>your guns to someone for
>a couple weeks if you
>were in his position?
>
>Ammo?
>Do I even need to respond
>to this one? You
>seriously think ammo is free?
>
>
>Alcohol?
>Varies by operator, just as consumption
>varies by guest. Some
>are light to moderate users,
>so shouldn't be a big
>deal. However, for those
>who seriously imbibe, why should
>safari operator pay for your
>inebriation?
>
>Observer rate?
>This was covered in detail, by
>many people, over on AR.
> Doesn't even merit discussion
>here.
>
>For me personally i despise the
>pickup and return fee.
>I don't agree with rifle rental
>fee but if it is
>10 or 20 a day
>so be it. 50 a
>day is highway robbery.
>I have no thoughts on this
>as i don't drink.
>I understand charging an observer rate
>but do not understand why
>it is for example 250
>a day. If the observer
>is hunting with me the
>only cost the outfitter has
>is food, clothes washing and
>toiletries. I understand a charge
>but when i see 200
>or 250 plus i shake
>my head.
>Your thoughts?
>My thoughts... You should
>probably stick to hunting in
>South Africa and Namibia where
>quotas are quite flexible and
>you can work out whatever
>kind of deal you want
>with the people you book
>hunts with. When you
>start hunting in other countries
>where quotas are more limited
>and it likely takes away
>from someone else's safari if
>you get extra animals, so
>you don't get to so
>easily add extra animals instead
>of paying observer rates, then
>you're naturally going to see
>higher observer rates, as they
>can't make it up in
>extra animals. Either way,
>the safari operator needs to
>make a profit to keep
>doing what he does.
>
>Since you've posed these questions on
>two different websites, let me
>pose a few for you
>to ponder. #1, why
>should safari daily rates be
>different in countries such as
>Zambia, Mozambique or... TANZANIA than
>in South Africa? #2,
>Why should trophy fees be
>higher in some of these
>countries than in South Africa?
> #3, why do some
>people find value in hunting
>in places like these other
>countries than in South Africa?
> #4,Shouldn't everyone just go
>where it is least expensive
>and you can negotiate away
>the daily rate for observers,
>to be made up in
>other ways instead of paying
>higher daily rates, trophy fees
>and observer rates?

CAelknuts it actually doesn't bother me at all. I know what i want and that is where I go. When i want others thoughts i go to the AR forum since there is always a good response. I looked at this forum and it has been almost 3 weeks since a post so I put something on here to try and generate a response.

Of course I know i have to pay for ammo. I listed some misc fees i see charged; no more, no less.

It does not seem to matter what is posted on here in regards to Africa it just does not generate much response.

I see a lot of posts on multiple websites; i am certainly not the first or last to do that asking the same question to different groups of people.

I have to agree with you on your point about a lack of activity on this forum. It is disappointing that more people don't participate on this forum. I'll be starting a new thread when I return from Zambia later this year, but wonder how many new African threads will be started in the months between now and then.

>I have to agree with you
>on your point about a
>lack of activity on this
>forum. It is disappointing
>that more people don't participate
>on this forum.
>I'll be starting a new
>thread when I return from
>Zambia later this year, but
>wonder how many new African
>threads will be started in
>the months between now and
>then.

That will be an adventure. Who are you hunting with? What are you hunting? Good luck! I look forward to the story and pics.

>I have to agree with you
>on your point about a
>lack of activity on this
>forum. It is disappointing
>that more people don't participate
>on this forum.
>I'll be starting a new
>thread when I return from
>Zambia later this year, but
>wonder how many new African
>threads will be started in
>the months between now and
>then.

I would love to hunt Africa and start new posts on here. Just haven't figured out how to get the meat back yet.. lol

Especially them oryx! Are all the critters comparable to this tasty fellow? Or is it the exception rather than the rule?

>>I have to agree with you
>>on your point about a
>>lack of activity on this
>>forum. It is disappointing
>>that more people don't participate
>>on this forum.
>>I'll be starting a new
>>thread when I return from
>>Zambia later this year, but
>>wonder how many new African
>>threads will be started in
>>the months between now and
>>then.
>
>I would love to hunt Africa
>and start new posts on
>here. Just haven't figured out
>how to get the meat
>back yet.. lol

>
>Especially them oryx! Are all the
>critters comparable to this tasty
>fellow? Or is it the
>exception rather than the rule?
>

I have tried everything I have shot over there. I especially like Eland, Kudu, Gemsbok, Red Hartebeest and Mtn Zebra.

Warthog is like eating a racquet ball.

Impala is chewy.

Burchell?s Zebra was average at best. Mtn Zebra is totally different.

I ate meat from 9 of the 11 animals I shot while I was there. Everything was pretty good but I didn't enjoy the blue and black wildebeest near as much as the others. It may have been the way they were cooked though as one was a schnitzel. The only thing we didn't eat was waterbuck and warthog. The outfitter was not fond of either species to eat.

My absolute favorite was zebra, followed by oryx, kudu, and impala. I have been telling people that if horse tasted like a zebra, I'd go shoot the neighbors prize horse in a heart beat. That's how much I enjoyed the meat. Sadly I'm not a huge deer and elk fan but the meat from Africa was phenomenal and I could easily live off it versus beef here in the states.

>I ate meat from 9 of
>the 11 animals I shot
>while I was there. Everything
>was pretty good but I
>didn't enjoy the blue and
>black wildebeest near as much
>as the others. It may
>have been the way they
>were cooked though as one
>was a schnitzel. The only
>thing we didn't eat was
>waterbuck and warthog. The outfitter
>was not fond of either
>species to eat.
>
>My absolute favorite was zebra, followed
>by oryx, kudu, and impala.
>I have been telling people
>that if horse tasted like
>a zebra, I'd go shoot
>the neighbors prize horse in
>a heart beat. That's how
>much I enjoyed the meat.
>Sadly I'm not a huge
>deer and elk fan but
>the meat from Africa was
>phenomenal and I could easily
>live off it versus beef
>here in the states.

Most people believe that waterbuck aren't very good eating due to the smell of their hide. I've eaten waterbuck and they're actually pretty good, better than you'd expect. Most of the antelope species are pretty darn good but some like sable or eland rank even better than the rest. One of the better animals I've ever enjoyed over there was a Sharps Grysbok. I ate so much I got a stomach ache.

I just returned from South Africa in late June and had an awesome trip. My PH was Herman Scheepers(owner at Lianga Safaris)in Limpopo. First off he pre-approved our gun forms for us so the SAP in Joberg took five minutes(No charge). The picked us up and delivered us back to the airport which was a four hour drive each way(No charge). While at Lianga Lodge all of the alcohol was free and they had a well stocked bar. The use of their rifles and shotguns including ammo was also free of charge and I did shoot quite a lot of ammo bird hunting one day. Best of all, I booked a 10 day safari, which was 10 day of hunting and 2 days of travel, not 8 days hunting and 2 days of travel. My wife was with me and we did pay an observers fee of 200/day but that included her hunting every day and taking 4 animals. I think the injustice in fees comes from getting your animals back to the US. The cost is way out of line. Our hosts at Lianga went above and beyond any expectations I could ever dream of. Herman and our other PH Tarek Jansen gave us the hunt of a lifetime and we will be visiting them again.

>I have tried everything I have
>shot over there. I especially
>like Eland, Kudu, Gemsbok, Red
>Hartebeest and Mtn Zebra.
>
>Warthog is like eating a racquet
>ball.
>
>Impala is chewy.
>
>Burchell?s Zebra was average at best.
>Mtn Zebra is totally different.
>

Wow, it's interesting that zebra makes the list. I realize it's just a looks thing and the indoctrination of growing up in a society that frowns on the eating of horse type creatures... but I would have thought zebra would be like eating a burro...

>
>>I have tried everything I have
>>shot over there. I especially
>>like Eland, Kudu, Gemsbok, Red
>>Hartebeest and Mtn Zebra.
>>
>>Warthog is like eating a racquet
>>ball.
>>
>>Impala is chewy.
>>
>>Burchell?s Zebra was average at best.
>>Mtn Zebra is totally different.
>>
>
>
>Wow, it's interesting that zebra makes
>the list. I realize it's
>just a looks thing and
>the indoctrination of growing up
>in a society that frowns
>on the eating of horse
>type creatures... but I would
>have thought zebra would be
>like eating a burro...

Mtn Zebra was top notch!!!!!!! I did not expect to say that. Burchell?s Zebra, not so much.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom