Miserable moose hunting

johnnycake

First, I really hate moose hunting. Day after day of glassing trying to find a legal bull. One once you do, it's not hard to get close to them, they're dumb and ornery, but once you kill them the real hell starts.

Killed this bull on Day 9 after putting +32 miles on our boots, 3 mile packout. Did the first load on foot and then managed to bargain for access across private to be able to get a machine on a trail to recover the rest. No more swamp donkeys for me unless they decide to commit suicide next to the truck.
1000006210.jpg
1000006153.jpg

1000006207.jpg

1000006197.jpg

.270 with 130 gr copper bullets. DRT. Just like the last two moose I killed with it.

Dang that looks like a great one to me! One day I hope to kill one. Congratulations, for reference how wide is he ?

Dang that looks like a great one to me! One day I hope to kill one. Congratulations, for reference how wide is he ?
I still haven't stuck him between a wall and a board to be completely accurate, but from the measurements we've taken he's definitely at least 55"

Nice congratulations- you will be back at it again once you rest up
Hard pass. I'm done. I've only convinced myself to go back moose hunting before now because I had only shot a forkie and then a 34" 3 brow bull (both up on this same swamp plateau, both with miserable recoveries). Now that I've got my nice one, I'm done.

Great bull @johnnycake !!

And by hate it, you mean you hate it until February hits and you've forgotten the pain and can't wait till another September comes around for more! ;)

Thanks for sharing. Hope you've been well.

Great bull @johnnycake !!

And by hate it, you mean you hate it until February hits and you've forgotten the pain and can't wait till another September comes around for more! ;)

Thanks for sharing. Hope you've been well.
This time I swear it's the last time. I may have sworn that before, but this time I really mean it. I'll go chase more birds and bears instead of mucking in the swamps after dumb donkeys

Most of us would welcome a little misery for a chance at a nice bull like that. No doubt they require serious effort.
Nice bull.

Good for you. Based on how good my one and only moose tasted, it seems like a nice problem to have. I get it though. After killing a 365" elk about 10 miles from the nearest road and the subsequent 4-day pack out, I swore I'd never elk hunt again. That lasted about a year before I couldn't stand not being out there. But I've since passed on several bulls. I figure it needs to be pushing 400" or else standing near a road before I'll pull that trigger again. But having waded around a little in those Alaska swamps with the mosquitoes and black flies, I also get why that wouldn't be nearly as fun as elk hunting...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom