MISSFIRE... CLICK

dilagaf

HAVE YOU EVER HAD A #209 PRIMER MISSFIRE? MY FREIND HAD ONE GO CLICK ON A ELK HUNT THIS YEAR, ON A 350ISH BULL AT 89 YARDS.
THIS IS THE FIRST AND ONLY TIME I HAVE EVER SEEN THIS

Yes, but it has always been the guns fault, no the primer. What gun as he using and was the primer fully indented?

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

IT WAS A CVA, BUCK HORN I THINK IS THE MODLE NAME.
I DONT KNOW IF IT WAS INDENTED HE PULLED IT OUT AND THROUGH IT AS WE RAN UP THE HILL TO GET ANOTHER TRY AT HIM

Texas Hunter 58: I have one for you to think about and hopefully to respond to. I have a hunting buddy that uses a Remington model 700 muzzle loader rifle to hunt with. It has had the conversion kit installed so he can use the 209 primer instead of the old fashioned #11 caps that so many of us used for years. This Remington 700 DOES NOT dent the 209 primer one bit but the rifle always fires with never a mistake. How can this be? Have you heard of this happening to other black powder hunters? Any info would be welcomed. Sincerely, Cowtag from southern Illinois.

Wow, I sure don't know how it could fire and not be dented! Even the few misfires I have had (with my KRB) have had a slight dent in them, but not as deep as normal. The only guess I could venture is that the primer is sealed so tight against blowback that the pressure pushes the dent in the primer back out??

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Thank you for you prompt response. I figured that you might have an idea on how such a thing can occur. The primer is as smooth as a baby's butt after the rifle has fired....the 777 explodes and pushes the bullet out of the barrel. Is there a DANGER thing here? Is something wrong? We couldn't figure it out.

It is quite possible for the primer indentation to blow out under pressure, particulary if the firing pin is allowed to retract, as is the case with inertia driven firing pins. I've never seen a case of this personally.Seems like a LOT of pressure combined with a very weak firing pin spring would be required for this to happen.

I have had all my muzzleloaders not dent the primer when the firing pin gets dirty from blow back.It needs to be kept clean as the rest of the rifle.When mine is clean it never misfires.I own a Omega,2 Kodiaks and an NEF Sidkick and they all need cleaned when I clean the rest of the rifle.Even a light coat of oil will help.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom