MNHunter's Oryx Hunt

MNHunter

I hunted this past weekend on the Stallion Range with Compass West Outfitters. I talked to Chris, the owner, last year after I drew. He explained that a guide wasn't necessary to get one and offered help regardless if I booked with him or not. I did a little research and found out that these hunts have become real hunts over the years and that if you look at the numbers, the sucess rate is much better with a guide. In addition, I thought I would be going alone and quite simply knew I couldn't logistically handle an oryx so I checked references and booked with Chris.

Fast forward a year and my hunt finally arrived. I headed out from MN with my buddy who also drew and drove 24 hours to NM. We got to Socorro earlier than we though and had a day to burn and meet up with our guides. Due to the "process" of getting through the gate on Saturday we arrived at the gate early. As everyone had told me, as the orientation wrapped up people sprinted to their trucks and the ORYX 500 began. Due to being there early, my guide Jim had a good parking spot and got a good start to our spot.

We passed some Oryx just off the road that I am sure were shot at within minutes. We arrived at a spot that Jim had predetermined and we began walking. About a mile from the road we saw a group of 10 oryx. They saw us and ran over the next hill. We stalked them to discover we were busted again and they ran over the next hill. We played cat & mouse with them over a mile or so until we were finally able to sneak up on them to 400 yards. We spent a lot of time watching them and looking at their horns. 2 or 3 good bulls, a couple really good cows, a couple broken horn and some brownies. I passed on the longer cows as I wanted a bull, even if they were shorter. Being from MN, you don't get too much long distance shooting in. Nevertheless, I steadied for the shot and had a good hold. I fired and shot 2" over the bulls back. I was disappointed but we'd only been hunting for 3 hours and I had seen and shot at an oryx. We followed them up and checked for blood just in case but they were long gone. From our vantage point we saw a couple juveniles that didn't require a closer look so we decided to hunt our way back to the truck.

About a mile from the truck we spotted a lone bull hesitantly walking our way. We glassed him up and Jim said he was about 34". I could see some pronounced rings on his horns and a really cool hook to one of his horns. I decided to try for him. We circled around to get out in front of him and set up for a shot. He came into the open and stopped broadside 184 yards away. One shot and he was down. I had my once in a lifetime oryx. We then loaded him in the truck and headed out. We passed numerous hunters that hadn't seen many (or any) that day. At the gate Gilbert taped him at 37" on the long side and 35" on the side with the hook. I was on cloud nine. He ended up being the second longest bull taken on the hunt.

I am confident that without Compass West I wouldn't have gotten the bull of a lifetime. Chris runs a top notch service. I also received some great help and advice from nmelktrout, balz, and DonV from here and schmalts & Hntnhrd over on HT. Thanks guys. My buddy took at 32" bull with 8" bases later on Saturday too with Steve from Compass West. This hunt was everything I had hoped it would be.

49ca41a24a31524c.jpg

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

MNHunter ~

Congratulations on a Great Bull! That's an excellent picture, and with that hat, it would make a great Cabelas catalog cover. We will have to have Chris call Eric and see what they can do!

Anyway, it was a pleasure hunting with you guys and we were sure glad to hear that you made it back home safetly after that 25 hour drive.

I'm also glad to hear that your buddy has "recovered" from getting his bull out and the the little hikes we took. We pushed it pretty hard!

By the way, I like the saying you use on your posts. We have only been friends for a short time, but it clearly defines your character.

We'll be in touch.

Stryker

Awesome Lee. Was great meeting you and you are truly worthy of the great bull that you harvested. I couldn't be more stoked for you. Chris/Compasswest runs a great operation, is a great guy that offered lots of help to me, and knows his oryx situation very well. You did well to hire him and he made the hunt a good one for more than just his clients. Thank you Chris.

Here's some pictures of my nice little cow and my hunting crew. Took my mother, fiancee, and best buddy along with me and we had a blast. Met half of the MM crew while enjoying beer and pizza in Socorro on Friday night and then we all seemed to be the first people to check out on Saturday morning. Not bad. LCHC, it was great meeting you, your buddies, and your family and I'm glad you guys scored a nice one. I gotta' say that it was refreshing seeing all of the families that were participating in this hunt. Anway, missed a shot at a pig after a long stalk early on and then shot this cow at around 8:45. I'm grateful for the harvest and the time shared with my family. Didn't shoot a monster but couldn't have had a better hunt and even enjoyed driving around and taking in the historical sites on-range once we harvested out. Balz, can't wait to get my animals back from you and thanks for all the help! Great post Lee, hope you don't mind me sharing in with you!

Here's my pics taken from behind Balz's trailer.

Oryx2009WSMR.jpg

IMG_1373.jpg

-Cody

>MNHunter ~
>
>Congratulations on a Great Bull! That's
>an excellent picture, and with
>that hat, it would make
>a great Cabelas catalog cover.
> We will have to
>have Chris call Eric and
>see what they can do!
>
>
>Anyway, it was a pleasure hunting
>with you guys and we
>were sure glad to hear
>that you made it back
>home safetly after that 25
>hour drive.
>
>I'm also glad to hear that
>your buddy has "recovered" from
>getting his bull out and
>the the little hikes we
>took. We pushed it
>pretty hard!
>
>By the way, I like the
>saying you use on your
>posts. We have only been
>friends for a short time,
>but it clearly defines your
>character.
>
>We'll be in touch.
>
>Stryker
>
Hey Stryker!

what can I say, it was awesome. You certainly gave my buddy a workout!

We'll be in touch, I guarantee we will hunt something together again someday!
Lee

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

Great to meet all you guys face to face! Was a fun hunt, but that first non harvest was tough to take, 3 shots under 150 and another shot or two we'll say......

Great photos, make sure to get me some of the bull Chris Took as well! That cow is going to look great on the wall! And lee that bull is killer!

www.200inches.com

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom