Monstermuley Contacts!

Cornhusker

Long Time Member
4603img_2743.jpg

Just a few thoughts on what a help Monstermuleys has been for me throughout the years in establishing valuable contacts and information from others. I really envy those of you that are near each other and are right in the middle of the areas that are the hotspots for hunting. Unfortunately I live in a pretty good hunting area but with hardly any population. When I first started on MM we had about 2,000 members. I like some of you found it a site that I think is fantastic for hunting and learning about issues that affect hunting.

I chose to post a pedestal of antelope I just finished up because of some of the connections to MM. I realize the antelope are only 77 and 76 and the back one was my first bow antelope. Anyhow here are the connections.

The left lope comes from a good unit in Wyoming he is my largest to date. In 2009 I had scouted this area well but had still not seen that awesome lope we look for. I posted on here if anyone had hunted it I got 2 great responses one from a guy who lived just outside the unit and knew it well. They had both seen a great antelope in August in an area of the unit I hadn't looked over real well. I looked over the area they suggested and found him a couple days before the season in a big flat and he had no does with him. Opening morning I saw what I thought was that lope in the flat. I glassed him well I thought but couldn't get closer than 450 yards. I got in to big of a hurry but had no wind so made a shot on him that is about the top of my range. He dropped on the shot and beneath him in a fold up stood the big buck I thought I was shooting, same look but probably 2" longer. The point I shot a nice buck but a member her had given me an opportunity to shoot a great buck, I still like the one on the pedestal.

The buck on the far right was a Nebraska buck killed by muzzle loader last year. With the terrible drought I had again drawn a prairie muzzy tag which residents can do every third year. In all the ranches I had access to I couldn't find a big buck. A guy who reads a lot on here but seldom posts invited me out with permission on thousands and thousands of acres of private land and three big bucks he knew of. The result is a tremendous buck for Ne..

If you look close the knife in the middle of the pedestal is a custom knife that I really like. RELH made it and although I have several custom knives it is by far the best quality and is just gorgeous. I haven't used it yet waiting for that special critter maybe this fall.

The pedestal comes from Wade Hanks in Utah a advertiser on this site in the taxidermy forum. A straight shooter and a great guy to work with who really has an eye for what will work I think he was correct in his assessment.

I could go on about I have a member who I hope brings his son and hunts turkey with me next spring, or the white tail I'm scouting to try to pay one of the above back but I won't because this got long. I doubt if too many read this long of a post but many on here have helped me. I agree with Bess on at least one thing "I will quit when we can't give each other some shytt on here" (Elkassasin), see Sportsmen Political Forum for examples. I'll also add this is a great resource with people with a lot of hunting knowledge.

I don't know founder and wouldn't recognize him if I meet him in the mountains.

I would agree, Cornhusker. I have made some valuable friends on here, which have led to bear hunting in Idaho, whiteys in Iowa, and mulies in Utah. Those same guys have come to Wyoming and killed great mulies and pronghorns, and we have become great friends.

I too value the good friends I've made on here and I make more friends all the time. And I really love to see the razzin, sheet talkin', and arguing even though I seldom get involved. Through it all is some great commaderie, valuable information and great friendships. I love MM, fatrooster.

Corny....I read all of the post and really like that Pedestal Mount there with all 3 Lopes. I think we all have had some good times and enjoyed the so called "meeting of MM'ers" both on here and in person.

Made some good friends and had a great time together.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

I also have been able to share information about upcoming hunts. Has helped me and others as we shared general info and in some cases honey holes related to once in a lifetime hunts.

I also like the discussions about gear. Has helped me buy items that work rather than get set to the side in the garage.

Thanks.

Cornhusker; thanks for posting that photo. That is about the best mounting of antelope I have ever seen. Your taxi did a job that complemented the fine animals you harvested.

As for that knife, I hope you break it in on a record book animal and we all demand photos when you do.

RELH

Good post Corn. Met some great folks on this site, and enjoy reading the posts of many others.

Thanks guys. I'm on here for several reasons the first is obviously to meet other people that have the same hunting interest as me. That has been a big success, some really nice people are on this site.

The second reason is to learn from people that have more knowledge in an area than I do that has also been a success for me. Just as simple as learning something from the picture of the three lopes on the pedestal. Believe it or not the one on the right and the one on the left score within 2/8 ths of each other both around 77 actually a little less. The picture kind of lies because the left is closer on the pedestal, the left is 1.5 inches shorter and mass measurements are less the only way he stays close on score is prong length.

Bob I will wait and use the knife on the first trophy, it might be a 2 point if it's a kids first deer hunted and shot well, I'll let you know. Good luck to all 61 days till archery opener in Nebraska archery antelope and deer tag for me 31 years straight failed on Ne. Elk.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom