Montana Application

upmuley

I've applied in several states but have never done MT. How does it work for deer, elk and sheep? Do I have to buy a hunting license to accumulate points like other states?

LAST EDITED ON Jan-03-09 AT 10:46AM (MST)[p]Don't bother with the point system, but if you do it is another $20 the last time I saw it mentioned. As far as just buying the point only, that part I do not know. Contact the F&G and get on their mailing list to have a copy sent to you, it will explain it very through there in booklet.

Brian

MT is kinda different. There is no limited entry until you draw the general tag. The general tag is about 55% draw success so you should get it every other year or so. After you get your tag you can put in for the limited entry units. The down side is that if you are only interested in limited entry MT is not a great state since you have to eat the tag or go hunting with the regular joes. Just a different way that is all. I got a bonus point and will be going at least on the general tag. FWIW, it is easier to draw the deer/elk combo than just elk or that is what I understand.
flyingbrass
cold dead hands

You have to have a general season deer or deer/elk combo in order to put in to the limited areas. This alone is about $350 for deer and $580 for the combo. You must draw this first. They give out 10% of these compared to the total number of resident tags from the year before. This way there are always 90% of the tags allocated to residents.
Combo is easier to draw, but there is more commitment involved. Once you have this you can put in for the LE hunts like the Breaks Elk Tag, but that is a very expensive way to start collecting points. Plus you have to remember that if you draw that tag, you must pay for the point in advance when you put in for an LE hunt. I learned this the hard way because in Utah the point come automatic with the Non-successful draw. If you put in for Montana, the points only add up when you buy them. This is not big deal when in comes to deer as the majority of the state is open to all. Elk is different because unless you have access to private land most of the good elk hunting is on the LE areas.
Sorry to be so long-winded but the Montana Reg book is very complicated and took me hours and hours to figure out.
Your odds do go up tons if you want to bow hunt elk. If you bow hunt and want access to elk..pm me and I can help.

hope this helps.
Stuart

Thanks for the info. Good post. I put in for a lot of tags including sheep and moose in MT. I have thought about jumping through the hoops and spending the cash to put in for LE deer and elk.

One final question...if you draw the general and apply for LE and do not draw...can you return the general for a partial refund? I looked at the regs and it appears you can only get a partial refund for death, medical reason, etc. But - was told by someone that has applied that you can get a partial refund. Thanks...

i believe if your successful for the general tag, and unsuccessful for the special, you can get an 80% refund on the general tag....BUT, you wont get any points for either draw. Your just out $$$, nothing gained.

Travis
www.RidgelineOutdoors.com

Great info.

Brian-Why is it not worth applying for points? Am I too far behind or was that comment tongue-in-cheek?

Stuart-tremendous information - thank you!

Upmuley,

That is my opinion of MT point system went through this in the past with others. Back when they started it I called and talked with a live person (I think that person was alive) and after about 15 minutes on "my phone call" and that persons responses to my questions, I decided right then their system is not like other states. NOW, this is my take of the conversation and others don't feel that way, so be it.
I made a point of asking "if I do buy your point" will that give me a better chance of drawing say the following year? The answer was well YOU will have one more than those that did not buy. At this point I said, "then I should have more of a chance to draw than them right"? The answer was "you, meaning me" has a point. DUH........stupid answer on Dept side.
So I said well if I keep paying the $20 each year doesn't that give me a sure draw tag in a few years more than someone who has less or none at all........well you will have more than them but might still not draw, depends on the draw and your luck.

At that point I said I would never fall for your money grabbing and ended the call, all at my expense. This all took place in early 2001. I was in MT during the 2000 season and had a Big Game Combo tag and got my Elk after 5 days.
So in 2001, my friend and I applied for the same tags again WITHOUT PAYING THE "BONUS POINT" FEE and drew the tags.

That is why I said what I did in my previous post here.

Brian

LAST EDITED ON Jan-04-09 AT 04:17PM (MST)[p]Brian, That is what people have a hard time understanding about our "point" system. It assures you one more chance in the "current" drawing. Points are carried over to the next years draw. Points are not accumulated to ensure a successful draw in the future. ie if you have, say 12 points, you are entered 12 times in that years drawing. I'd like it if our system worked like the one in Utah, but it don't. Our regs aren't really that tough, as someone said. My 12 year old can read them just fine. mtmuley

Ya, the point system is crewy to say the least. It does, however, give people like me the ability to move in to town and draw a tag in the first try... and the guy who showed you the unit hasn't drawn in 15 or so years. It worked for me, but you know about that karma thing. I also do not like the Supertag drawing. I wish everybody only had one chance like the UT sportsmans tag. I wonder how much guys put in for that Big Horn Sheep Supertag?????

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom