Montana fall bear hunt

armybrat

I will be coming back to Montana for a fall bear hunt, I failed to fill my tag in the spring. Just wondering if anyone that hunts deer and elk in southwest montana is willing to share a spot were they have freqeuntly encoutered black bears while hunting. Like I said not interested in hunting deer and elk in anyones spot just want to fill my bear tag. Also was wondering if any BMU's hold good numbers of bears. I came up last year in the fall and could not figure the bears out. I have had good luck in the spring seeing bears but the fall is a whole different story. Anyways just looking for some info from the archery/rifle hunters that hunt southwest montana that know an area that bears frequent. Also, I am usually a DIY hunter but am starting to think I would be money ahead just hiring an outfitter. I have been to Montana 7 different trips in the last two years and have not been able to close the deal on a bear. I have seen bears just having trouble closing the deal. I just think that I could gain a lot of information from someone that has done it before, increasing my chances next time I go at it alone. So if anyone knows someone that guides for black bear in the fall that would be great. Most outfitters I have talked to only do a combination black bear hunts in the fall.

Thanks

I am willing to share any info I have on Utah, Idaho, and Colorado deer.

If you haven't figured out already, berries are the key to hunting bears in the fall.
North facing slopes in burned areas tend to have raspberries this time of year, then elderberries in September and October, which can bring a lot of bears into those areas.
I'd look in the units that have high bear numbers, then find burns within those units.

The unit I hunted last year didn't start until sept 15 and all the berries were dead. I have heard that after the berries are gone that I should be hunting up high in white pine areas as they are eating the nuts. Anyways, berries didn't work for me last year.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom