One change to deer management

Rider47

If you could make one change to CA deer management, what would it be? Could be predators, habitat, tag allocation, or anything else. Personally I’m not too sure.
I think lions kill a lot of deer, but us hunters like to say “same amount of lions get killed, but by CDFW now instead of hunters”. So we still have lions getting killed. I tend to think the amount of bears we have eat a lot of fawns in the spring, and then start pushing lions off kills so the lions have to get another deer.
I also think habitat may be the king of all, but with the fires, what seems like more logging going on (at least in my neck of the woods), and the 22/23 winter, habitat seems like it’s in a pretty good spot.
So I think my change would be for a spring bear season. (Plus I’d love to chase bears in the spring instead of turkeys haha)
Curious to hear your guys perspectives.

I would double down on habitat. 1 good winter isn’t fixing decades of drought or the effects it’s had on deer populations. Not sure what humans can do to fix it but that’s where I would start.

My top 3 in order with 1 being leaps and bounds ahead of the rest

1 predator management / invasive species manage
2 range conditions and herd health
3 more opportunity for elk …. Sad to say it but at this point anyone buying a point that isn’t less that 3 off max or under 60 will never have the opportunity to hunt rules outside of a 30,000 check.

Habitat improvement and predator management is where I’d start, need to get the bears back in check (spring hunt, bring dogs back) as they’re rough on the fawns and any sort of habitat enhancement is a plus as we’re losing more and more of it by the day.

For managing hunters: I would add some late season archery in A and D zones, only available to AO tag holders. Or it could be a limited hunt. There’s bucks dying of old age, would be a fun opportunity and not hurt the deer herd.

For managing deer: No clue honestly. CA hardly publishes anything on our deer herds. Are they even studying them? Maybe that would be a good start and we could know what factors are limiting our herds, beyond the obvious drought.

Spring bear is a great idea

I really think bears need to be better managed. Where I hunt, 20yrs ago I was lucky to see a bear, now I have an opportunity to kill one every year. I brought a proposal up to DFW and it was shot down because it "would be to difficult to enforce ". This was just an excuse, I think they don't want to deal with the public on it....which goes back to Snoopdogg recommendation.
My proposal was simply to set a spring season and use the remaining bear quota from Fall as the Spring limit.

The bear season should go until the quota is met. Even if that means running it into April. Not enough hunters target predators. Seems that when fur prices were high in the late 70’s and early 80’s herds were doing better. And don’t get me started on mountain lions.

Maybe they should limit tags in some D zones and not allow one tag to hunt multiple zones, for starters.
I agree 100%

It’s just wishful thinking and easy to say “predator control” than what actually happens in reality. Predator prey ratios control the predator populations much more than hunters will.

As well as “habitat management”, good luck with controlling drought. Rake the forest? Round wire? Plant some trees?

Predators would be my pick, don’t know if this would count as one or two but hunting of mtn lions and spring bear hunts.

CDFW has opened public comment on the April 2024 Draft of the Black Bear Conservation Plan for California(opens in new tab) until June 14, 2024. To provide public comment, choose one of the following options:

https://wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation/Mammals/Black-Bear
Very important we comment, especially to expand hunting opportunities. So many times the department puts a study/report out and 1 or 2 ignorant-ass comments are the only ones received. Nowadays, anti's are organized and they are bucking to outlaw bear hunting and current leadership is complicit. Let's comment!

In case you haven't heard, it's year of the bear and the dept is promoting the cute, cuddly version and none of the reality that includes decimating fawns.

I don't follow the commenting stuff as much as I should but just curious to know if the commenting actually works in hunters favor? Say over the last 2 decades or so? Like do they, CDFW take these comments seriously?

I don't know what changes are needed but I can say this. I live in the Sierra foothills in Northern CA and the deer here are like flees. Crazy numbers. Maybe they are not migrating as much??

I don't know what changes are needed but I can say this. I live in the Sierra foothills in Northern CA and the deer here are like flees. Crazy numbers. Maybe they are not migrating as much??
Are you in a county with an active trapper?

I don't follow the commenting stuff as much as I should but just curious to know if the commenting actually works in hunters favor? Say over the last 2 decades or so? Like do they, CDFW take these comments seriously?
When I watched commission hearings they pointed out, "We've only received 2 comments," and then they show them....embarrassing. "We need to kill more deer." Hey meathead, this report is on quagga mussels.

Good question.

I spoke during the public comment period at the CADFW Commission Meeting last week regarding item 21, Mammal Regulations. I was suprised to see that I was one of only four member of the pubic that requested time to speak on this broad topic! I was expecting MUCH, MUCH MORE public involvement. Boy was I wrong!

I guess it's easier to just complain in forums rather than take part in the actual process in place used to manage our wild game populations. Sad.

Good question.

I spoke during the public comment period at the CADFW Commission Meeting last week regarding item 21, Mammal Regulations. I was suprised to see that I was one of only four member of the pubic that requested time to speak on this broad topic! I was expecting MUCH, MUCH MORE public involvement. Boy was I wrong!

I guess it's easier to just complain in forums rather than take part in the actual process in place used to manage our wild game populations. Sad.
Nice.

So did your comments helped? If not, how many folks needs to comment? 100? 200? 10k? Can you ask this question in the next meeting? If they say 5 then I'll be there next time. If they say they need 10k then no, I won't be there.

Sorry, I don't know what goes on behind these meetings. Be nice to get someone who are part the meeting to explain. Truthfully of course...

Thanks for the heads up, wrote a comment asking for a spring bear season with our very stable and under hunted population
I did the same and went into detail on how it would create revenue for the state as well as create a nr opportunity and revenue to the state and make it where nr would be more app to apply in the draw since they would already have obtained a hunting license .

Habitat. Fires and clear cuts no longer have the effect they used to. "Restoration" has become a euphemism for spraying the remaining brush and replanting in pine, producing a barren monoculture of no value to wildlife. CalFire (once California Division of Forestry) now seems entirely focused on fire protection, and appears to have abrogated its responsibility to wildlife interests when it comes to approving timber plans and monitoring sales. Ironically (considering the criticism they receive) the Feds do a much better job since they typically do less to establish commercial timber stands and leave more brush in place.

Roads. About the only place NOT sprayed is the fifty feet or so along all of our major highways. The brush may be trimmed, but rarely sprayed, with the result that every deer migrating through our pine plantation wasteland is soon crushed on the pavement. And every yokel who fails to receive his preferred tag has easy access along rural roadways during poaching season.

Went on the bear comment website. After glancing over their crap about climate change, bear wise, and political shift I don’t think they actually give a crap about what us hunters think. And then your comments have to be directed to a specific line and chapter!!
Guess these guys would be happy making bear view sites for city people. I doubt many if any get out in the mountains much.

Nice.

So did your comments helped? If not, how many folks needs to comment? 100? 200? 10k? Can you ask this question in the next meeting? If they say 5 then I'll be there next time. If they say they need 10k then no, I won't be there.

Sorry, I don't know what goes on behind these meetings. Be nice to get someone who are part the meeting to explain. Truthfully of course...
Did it help...who knows? At least it was a voice...and maybe my comments will resonate with one or more of the commissioners as they are presented information surrounding the specific topic I chose to address...the monitoring of the White Mountains sheep population.

Keeping up on all the "hot topics" related to wildlife conservation and hunting can be an exhausing task....but, hopefully as my life starts to slow down as I approach retirement I'll be able to become more and more of an advocate.

Did it help...who knows? At least it was a voice...and maybe my comments will resonate with one or more of the commissioners as they are presented information surrounding the specific topic I chose to address...the monitoring of the White Mountains sheep population.

Keeping up on all the "hot topics" related to wildlife conservation and hunting can be an exhausing task....but, hopefully as my life starts to slow down as I approach retirement I'll be able to become more and more of an advocate.
Isn’t this comment period or opportunity strictly in regard to bears ?

What ever we decide to comment it should be about how we can increase revenue for CADFW. I'm sure they would love to hear comments like that.

One thing is to have a spring bear hunt. I wouldn't mind paying 3X the price for a spring bear tag.

Also, have a drawing for each bear zone. And charge for the drawing in addition to the tag.

Bet this will get their attention.

What ever we decide to comment it should be about how we can increase revenue for CADFW. I'm sure they would love to hear comments like that.

One thing is to have a spring bear hunt. I wouldn't mind paying 3X the price for a spring bear tag.

Also, have a drawing for each bear zone. And charge for the drawing in addition to the tag.

Bet this will get their attention.
I agree and is exactly the approach I took

Wildlife crossings in the areas where the most deer are killed on our roads every year
That’s a great one, maybe structure it that if built would help the resources to the state therefore providing more opportunities and more money to the state. We all know that’s all the state cares about is money.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom