Sleeping in a Pickup

ICMDEER

Very Active Member
I know everybody but me is in SLC eating lunch with Elkasassin and others. I hope all of you draw great licenses.

I've been wondering for a while about this. I see in a lot of articles, vidoes, etc where people sleep in the bed of their pickup. That just doesn't make sense to me. With a camper, maybe, but not just in the truck bed. I sleep under the stars on the ground throughout the year, but I can honestly say I have never even considered sleeping in my pickup.

What is the advantage of sleeping in your truck bed? Are you afraid of snakes, mice, bears, lions, coyotes, people? Don't like dirt? Feel like the bed walls are a windbreak (for Wyoming folks only)?

I like sleeping on the ground with a tarp under my bag. lt's close to mother earth and usually warmer and out of the wind. Lots of room to roll around and I don't have to worry about falling off a bumper if I have t pee in the night.

So why do so many people sleep in the bed of their truck?

Why do you use a tarp under your bag?

I got a canvas bedroll a few years back because of having to go on monthly BSA campouts as a leader. It was so much easier to use that instead of setting a tent up for an over night campout. And I did not have to share a tent with someone else I was only camping with because we were BSA leaders. The bedroll has everything rolled up in it; foam pad, sleeping bag, extra blanket, and pillow. I used it all the time in the bed of my truck. I use it when I am going on a quick hunt trip and do not want to drag a camper out. It leaves a lot of room to not be tied down to a certain camping spot if I did not want to. Level ground, usually fairly clean, no rocks to worry about, and, yes, out of the dirt.

I like sleeping on my cot in the back of my pickup if I can.
1. Keeps my boots and pants etc... off of the dirt but close by to put on in the morning.
2. Very quick to shut the tailgate and leave everything as is IF i have to for any reason.
3. If I'm hunting new areas everyday I like having my cot next to the bed lamp to look over maps etc...

Everything above can be done without sleeping in the truck, but those are some of the reasons why I do on occasion.

I like a cot with a 4" thick pad in the bed of the truck. I put up an easy-up over the top of the whole bed. I can tie it to the truck and know it isn't blowing over. The truck bed helps with wind and the easy up keeps any rain or dew off my sleeping bag. It's really pretty comfortable.

I also do this same setup on the ground as well. Lower the easy-up down before bed and it works really well.

I used to have a full twin mattress that I would leave in the bed of my truck to sleep on. This was easily more comfortable than sleeping on the ground. The truck will not deter mice. They run around you all night long. Wont deter horses either. One night my son and I had a wandering horse stick his head in the bed of the truck and snort. Hell of a way to wake up!

Still do it from time to time. Depends on where and when. Sometimes tent is easier. Cab of the truck is a torture worse than death.

Done both. As my need to pee during the night came to stay, and the harder it got to get to my feet from the ground, I pretty much went sleeping on a cot.

I actually bought a camper shell to sleep under because I’ve slept too many nights in the rain. (I hate that, even under a tarp, rain water will find you eventually. ). I build a bed in it, but it was too much of a hassle to craw in and out of to pee, twice a night.

So…….. I do not to do either unless I absolutely have no other choice.

20231020_204405.jpg

It's pretty comfy. mtmuley

I have a camper shell but also a toolbox, which is not conducive to sleeping stretched out.

My solution, and I've used this a bunch of times, is a cross bar plus a plywood sheet that sits atop the crossbar on one end and the toolbox at the other, giving me an elevated platform to sleep on with under-bed stowage and room to swing my legs down.

It's nice when its wet or cold or both to just stow stuff and flop into bed and be dry at the end of a day

when not in sleeping use, the plywood lays on the bed and the crossbar on the camper rail taking up basically zero space

I know everybody but me is in SLC eating lunch with Elkasassin and others. I hope all of you draw great licenses.

I've been wondering for a while about this. I see in a lot of articles, vidoes, etc where people sleep in the bed of their pickup. That just doesn't make sense to me. With a camper, maybe, but not just in the truck bed. I sleep under the stars on the ground throughout the year, but I can honestly say I have never even considered sleeping in my pickup.

What is the advantage of sleeping in your truck bed? Are you afraid of snakes, mice, bears, lions, coyotes, people? Don't like dirt? Feel like the bed walls are a windbreak (for Wyoming folks only)?

I like sleeping on the ground with a tarp under my bag. lt's close to mother earth and usually warmer and out of the wind. Lots of room to roll around and I don't have to worry about falling off a bumper if I have t pee in the night.

I have a canopy that I take on and off my truck and occasionally I've ended up sleeping in it.

From now on though, especially when I travel on out of state hunts in places I'm unfamiliar with, I'll be sleeping in my truck bed under my canopy.

I can think of about 300000 reasons (people per month) coming into our country, some of which may have little interest in my well being, to start sleeping under my canopy. All these "reasons" are not just going to the cities. I like my odds better than on the ground.

Canopy is going back on this Fall.

Them Nights Spent In The Front Seat Can Be A Pain As Well!

But At Least You Can Stay Dry & Fire The Heater Up Once In A While!

But A PISS POOR Way To Try & Get Some Rest!
As crapper as it is, I done it too but more than one night is exponentially worse. It’s a last resort, imo.

I do a lot of hunts where I’ve only got half a day, or a day to hunt. No sense in dragging a camper or dicking with a tent when time is limited. I get the pickup where I want to embark in the morning. I’m short, so I can lift the back seat up, put a pad and sleeping bag down and crash out. Wake up and hunt.

Have you guys noticed how SS is always making comments about gays. I know one thing I ain’t going camping with him. makes a guy wonder about him.

I have spent enough time sleeping on the ground when I did not want to. If I have a choice it is in the bed on a cot or if crashing out after dark the front seat. The key to the front seat is to put something in the crack of the seat to level it out some when you lower the seat back. That is a game changer.
Some people do not get it. I work my A$$ of all year to be basically homeless in my truck for a month or more and it is all I look forward to really.

I have spent enough time sleeping on the ground when I did not want to. If I have a choice it is in the bed on a cot or if crashing out after dark the front seat. The key to the front seat is to put something in the crack of the seat to level it out some when you lower the seat back. That is a game changer.
Some people do not get it. I work my A$$ of all year to be basically homeless in my truck for a month or more and it is all I look forward to really.
That would help, for sure, but my feet hang down, and that doesn’t work……… at least not well enough to do it unless it’s necessary.

Before the old age phase came to stay, I slept on a lot of dirt……… just can’t do it anymore. Rain on dirt still sucks no matter how old you are. I’d rather get snowed on than rained on…….

Yes, Iam only 44 but I notice every year I want to be more "comfortable" if at all possible and I am near the truck. I move around so much usually I cannot get myself to bring a camper yet but I know it is coming. A toy hauler anyway that I can stay in. I did an air bnb house on the outer edge of town this year because we had a group of five total during 3rd season CO deer and I drove the SXS from the house, that was soooooo nice.

Yes, Iam only 44 but I notice every year I want to be more "comfortable" if at all possible and I am near the truck. I move around so much usually I cannot get myself to bring a camper yet but I know it is coming. A toy hauler anyway that I can stay in. I did an air bnb house on the outer edge of town this year because we had a group of five total during 3rd season CO deer and I drove the SXS from the house, that was soooooo nice.
Ha….. for sure. An atv trailer, is a whole additional conversation. Actually a pretty amazing home away from home compared to the previous options. It’s a great option imo.

2Lumpy Don’t think for a minute I always sleep in my canvass cutter. But it is pretty comfortable. But you know where I usually lay my head when I am on the mountain!

2Lumpy Don’t think for a minute I always sleep in my canvass cutter. But it is pretty comfortable. But you know where I usually lay my head when I am on the mountain!
Under a sweaty shirt cause your forgot something else to lay on ?

I do BIGJ. And a mighty fine place to lay it. I took a drive this afternoon, up to the lake. There’s about 2.5 feet of snow at my place. I’ll bet there’s nearly 4’ where lay your head. Don’t think there will a shortage of water this year, yahoo.

Quite a few perch fishers out today. This being a 3 day weekend I’m guessing there will a large crowd up there.

Spent many a outing/hunting trip in bed of truck with a shell. No complaints. Much more comfortable in the Blazer/Tahoe. Front of trucks just never could get comfortable or much sleep.

Any more a Kodiak tent sets up in about 15 minutes and it is very comfy even in a rain storm. Add the Mr. Buddy heater if cold and your good with lots of room.

Most of my hunting during archery season is getting to a parking spot at 10pm and only hunting mornings before I have to be back to town by 3pm. Too much work setting up a tent for nights like that. Luckily I hunt solo mostly and God blessed me with a lovely 5'8" body that has 2" to spare across the back seat of my F150. This year one time I took my 11 year old boy and he slept across the front seat and I across the back. The windows were half down and we listened to elk bugle all night. Cool experience with no sleep. My boy woke up and said "'dad I am never sleeping across the front again... those seat belt things jammed me in the back all night".

If we are going for 2+ nights we set up a 12x20 tent. I might need to start with cots if my boys are gonna hunt more with me in Sept. I don't mind across the back seat.

If I’m hunting mobile, (a day here, a day over there) I throw down a sponge and sleeping bag in truck bed and crash for the night. Keeps me clean and no work involved to set up or pack up. But I prefer trailer camping whenever possible lol!

Spent many a outing/hunting trip in bed of truck with a shell. No complaints. Much more comfortable in the Blazer/Tahoe. Front of trucks just never could get comfortable or much sleep.

Any more a Kodiak tent sets up in about 15 minutes and it is very comfy even in a rain storm. Add the Mr. Buddy heater if cold and your good with lots of room.
Ha….. my son has a Kodiak, every thing you say is true………. I just hate taking tents down, including the Kodiak, especially if the ground is wet.

Sleeping in the dirt does have it’s benefits……… until it doesn’t. 😂

Question to all of the dirt sleepers, have you ever layed down at 10:00 p.m. Had a thunderstorm roll in about midnight…… and lay there until dawn, with a 10” Creek running through your down mummy bag?

How about hitting the sack with a star fill Milky Way shining it all its wonder and woke up with 8” of snow on top of you?

How about setting a cot up next to the side by side wheeler, throw the bag on the cot, and pull a light weight plastic sheet over it, because the clouds looked threatening. Took your cellphone out of your pocket, put it under your sleeping bag and drifted off to sleep, to be woke by a clap of thunder and pounding wind and rain. Plastic sheet gone, cot filled with water. Next morning, cellphone laying in three inches of water, under the bag, on top of the cot? That one will cost you a few hundred bucks.

Some times your the windshield, sometimes your the bug!

Oh ya, one more question. Have you ever tried sleeping in the dirt with a saddle blanket as a bed roll? Tell me how cold it has to get before before you try that again.

Sometimes sleeping in the dirt you might get an uninvited guest.

A couple years ago I backpacked in and slept in a sleeping bag on a tarp. About 3:00 am I felt something crawling on my leg. Terrified and with lightening speed I reached down, grabbed it and threw it out. It had to have been a tarantula or one of those extremely large brown spiders with a body the size of a walnut that occur in the oquirrh stansbury unit.

Never again without at least mosquito netting!!!

Sometimes sleeping in the dirt you might get an uninvited guest.

A couple years ago I backpacked in and slept in a sleeping bag on a tarp. About 3:00 am I felt something crawling on my leg. Terrified and with lightening speed I reached down, grabbed it and threw it out. It had to have been a tarantula or one of those extremely large brown spiders with a body the size of a walnut that occur in the oquirrh stansbury unit.

Never again without at least mosquito netting!!!
Never had a critter join me but jims (MM’s jims) had a BuzzTail curl up next to him, during a afternoon nap on the Ceder Rim east of Lander, Wyoming while we where hunting deer there a few years ago. jims reaction was to move veeeeeeery slowly.

Dirt does have its issues, that’s a fact.

When Me & My Friends Were younger We Pulled A Good One Off!

It's 15 Miles Of Hell Once You Get To The Dirt Road!

I'm Talking You Can Walk Faster Than Drive A Pick-Up Up This Rough SOB!

The One Friend Decided To Throw A 5 Gallon Jug Of Diesel Fuel In The Back So We Could Start A Fire No Matter The Weather!

It'd Been Nice If It Woulda Had A Cap On It!

Our Sleeping Bags Were Thrown In The Back!

We Got To The Top 3 Hours Later & It's Time To Get Our Sleeping Bags Out!

All 3 Sleeping Bags Totally Soaked With F'N Diesel Fuel!

Another Thing That Woulda Helped If The Other Friend That Said He'd Bring All The Food Woulda Remembered To Throw That In!

It Was Archery Season!

We Had One Can Of Tomato Soup!

We Lucked Out & Got A Pine Chicken & A Squirrel!

Real Lean Eating Habits There For A Couple Days!

This Was Back In The Recurve Days/Early Compound Days Which None Of Us Had Compounds!

When My Friend Shot That Squirrel That Was Up In The Tree I'll Never Forget It!

He Made A Good Shot!

But The Arrow Went Half Way Through The Squirrel & Then Both The Squirrel & The Arrow flew through The Air & Then To The Ground!

We Were Damn hungry & Between The Pine Chicken & The Squirrel We Survived!

All 3 Of Us tried Sleeping In The Cab Of A 1/2 Ton Short Bed Single Cab,There was No Sleep!

Not Much Sleep Happened On That Trip!

When You're Young You Can Do STUPID Sshhitt Like That & It Doesn't Hurt Too Bad!

It'd Damn Sure Hurt Now!

The One Friend Decided To Throw A 5 Gallon Jug Of Diesel Fuel In The Back So We Could Start A Fire No Matter The Weather!

Another Thing That Woulda Helped If The Other Friend That Said He'd Bring All The Food Woulda Remembered To Throw That In!

It Was Archery Season!

This Was Back In The Recurve Days/Early Compound Days Which None Of Us Had Compounds!

He Made A Good Shot!

But The Arrow Went Half Way Through The Squirrel & Then Both The Squirrel & The Arrow flew through The Air & Then To The Ground!

All 3 Of Us tried Sleeping In The Cab Of A 1/2 Ton Short Bed Single Cab,There was No Sleep!

When You're Young You Can Do STUPID Sshhitt Like That & It Doesn't Hurt Too Bad!

It'd Damn Sure Hurt Now!
Ha…….. don’t you love it bc……… it was “the best of times, and the worst of times” in a great sort of way. I wouldn’t trade anything in this world for the memories of those trips. When I say I’ve loved the lifestyle, I mean that completely.

That’s why you and and I are such ass holes when we see the lifestyle slipping away with the loss of our big game resources. They were what stimulated our amazing days in the field.

Oh ya, one more question. Have you ever tried sleeping in the dirt with a saddle blanket as a bed roll? Tell me how cold it has to get before before you try that again.
Been there done that, many times. I’m a really slow learner, done it on multiple hunts in multiple states. I enjoy your posts they bring back the memories. That’s all I’ve got left. Thanks, BacDoc🤠

Been there done that, many times. I’m a really slow learner, done it on multiple hunts in multiple states. I enjoy your posts they bring back the memories. That’s all I’ve got left. Thanks, BacDoc🤠
Thanks BacDoc, I actual enjoy writing about them. It keeps them alive in my mind.

Regarding those saddle blankets, you clearly have a much higher tolerance level for horse hair and sweat than I do. Once was enough for me….😁

Horses are my favorite part of hunting, I’ve always wanted to see what was over the next ridge. Haven’t been able to ride for a couple of years. Waiting for a hip replacement, hoping I can ride again. Keep the stories coming.🤠

Horses are my favorite part of hunting, I’ve always wanted to see what was over the next ridge. Haven’t been able to ride for a couple of years. Waiting for a hip replacement, hoping I can ride again. Keep the stories coming.🤠
Hope you get that new hip BacDoc. Ain’t modern medicine a heaven sent blessing. “Best of times, worst of times.” 👍👍👍

It Was Archery Season!

He Made A Good Shot!

It'd Damn Sure Hurt Now!
Dang Elk! No wonder you never kill anything! You can’t make it a day in the woods without being boo’d off the mountain! You must not be an Eagle Scout!🤣🤣🤣

Friend of mine had another friend toss a deep cycle battery in the back of his truck and never secured it. When they got to their fishing camp battery acid was all over their sleeping bags, gear, tents, etc. all ruined.

It Was Better Back Then BLooD Than It Is Now!

Like Everything-else I Guess!

You’re a smart old cuss! I made it to second class before the clouds lifted and I found better things to do with my time! Told my parents I wasn’t gonna humor them anymore with the scouting program. Wasn’t for me lol!

LOL Even Though I Know First Hand It Ain't Funny!:D

Friend of mine had another friend toss a deep cycle battery in the back of his truck and never secured it. When they got to their fishing camp battery acid was all over their sleeping bags, gear, tents, etc. all ruined.

I never slept in my truck bed But I hooked up with several of my girl buddies in my truck bed over the years. We would just make a pallet on the bed floor. I always carried blankets and bug spray in the truck just in case! I tried to ways be prepared. LOL!

I never slept in my truck bed But I hooked up with several of my girl buddies in my truck bed over the years. We would just make a pallet on the bed floor. I always carried blankets and bug spray in the truck just in case! I tried to ways be prepared. LOL!
Hooking up with someone after you’ve sprayed them down with Deet just don’t seem like the thing to do…….. but then again I have to admit the need to mate does strange things to folks.

Lol! Sorry I meant mosquito repellent! You know DeLoss I think what I wrote after I close the IPad and I thought someone going to think I mean the poison stuff! LMAO

How was the Expo do you know any of the winners?

Lol! Sorry I meant mosquito repellent! You know DeLoss I think what I wrote after I close the IPad and I thought someone going to think I mean the poison stuff! LMAO

How was the Expo do you know any of the winners?
I didn’t get to attend this year Joe. Been layed up for a while. Haven’t seen any lists or rumors except ridgetops pulled one over on me this morning and I took the bait, the hook, the rod and the reel. Looked like a damn idiot!!! 😂

I didn’t get to attend this year Joe. Been layed up for a while. Haven’t seen any lists or rumors except ridgetops pulled one over on me this morning and I took the bait, the hook, the rod and the reel. Looked like a damn idiot!!! 😂
No. Just happy for him until he copped to it be a joke.

It Was Archery Season!

He Made A Good Shot!

It'd Damn Sure Hurt Now!
I know which road you’re talking about I’ll almost guarantee you that. The road to the knoll, roughest road ever.

When I solo hunt, I can sleep in my SUV by laying down the back seats, fill up sleeping pad and knock the f*ck out. Nice and flat and fits a 6 footer. Love that. And like Blue, I can wake up and road hunt! ;)

I backpacked into the Mokelumne Wilderness about 20 years ago with a homeboy and we just had our sleeping bags, no tents. Damned ants messed with me seemingly all night, miserable sleep. Since then, no backpacking without a tent. Little bastards.

I've slept in the back (with a camper shell) for the exact reason you said in the 1st post. The nice Wyoming breeze haha. If I'm not in a windy spot I usually just put up the little tent and sleep in it. Alot warmer sleeping on the ground than in the truck!

It Was Archery Season!

He Made A Good Shot!

It'd Damn Sure Hurt Now!
We had to sleep in a Ford regular cab short bed. I was in my early 20’s and it hurt so bad when we got out of the truck

When I solo hunt, I can sleep in my SUV by laying down the back seats, fill up sleeping pad and knock the f*ck out. Nice and flat and fits a 6 footer. Love that. And like Blue, I can wake up and road hunt! ;)

I backpacked into the Mokelumne Wilderness about 20 years ago with a homeboy and we just had our sleeping bags, no tents. Damned ants messed with me seemingly all night, miserable sleep. Since then, no backpacking without a tent. Little bastards.
I don’t like the creepy crawlies either. The worst two were a coati that tried to dig under my bag, and a black bear that wandered up to see if my mummy was a burrito. Never had a snake in my bag but woke up to find them too close for comfort.

Road hunting is underrated :)

In Wyoming I love to sleep on the ground with a thin pad. In the Midwest, there are way more ground pests to worry about so I sleep in the bed of the pickup. I have an air mattress that fits the bed. It isn't perfect, but it works great for a night or two turkey hunting with my little guy.
1708359547622.png

Here are a few of my recent camps. If it's gonna rain, I try to get under the tarp or just head somewhere protected. Otherwise, I just try to find a flat spot. I'm kind of a sissy now, and take pillows. If the wind is howling, I get down in a deep cut or behind something like the snow fence in the one pic. I try to sleep under the stars a lot every year. I've had mice, packrats, and bugs get me. Never had a snake, a bear or anything like that come aboard. Always keep a weapon real handy just in case, usually with a good light.

Nothing makes you feel as small as waking up in the middle of a cool crisp night and and look up at a million stars when you are miles from the nearest yard light. It's both humbling and fun.

I will say one time I was out in a fairly open place and rolled over in the middle of the night. The Wyoming wind was HOWLING and my pillow blew away. I was chasing it down in my undershorts with my headlamp on. Took me a while to get back to sleep after that. The night the packrat came into my bag, I was up Granite Creek in the Hoback. It was single digit cold and had snowed. That packrat woke me up with a start and I jumped up, got wet and had a tough time getting much sleep after that.

Another time, I was sleeping near the Greys and heard something rustling a tin can. I slowly sat up and a doe mule deer was nuzzling around in a fire pit somebody had left and she was making noise with the cans in the old fire pit.

It's all fun. You guys have some great stories. I used to have an old Chevy El Camino in high school. Had a mattress in the back of that and had fun there, but never spent the night on it. But I can't imagine putting it on a pallet. Just on the truck bed.

2021 early June Scout + home 033.JPG

21 may winter range 018.JPG

2021 Feb camp critters 023.JPG

Here are a few of my recent camps. If it's gonna rain, I try to get under the tarp or just head somewhere protected. Otherwise, I just try to find a flat spot. I'm kind of a sissy now, and take pillows. If the wind is howling, I get down in a deep cut or behind something like the snow fence in the one pic. I try to sleep under the stars a lot every year. I've had mice, packrats, and bugs get me. Never had a snake, a bear or anything like that come aboard. Always keep a weapon real handy just in case, usually with a good light.

Nothing makes you feel as small as waking up in the middle of a cool crisp night and and look up at a million stars when you are miles from the nearest yard light. It's both humbling and fun.

I will say one time I was out in a fairly open place and rolled over in the middle of the night. The Wyoming wind was HOWLING and my pillow blew away. I was chasing it down in my undershorts with my headlamp on. Took me a while to get back to sleep after that. The night the packrat came into my bag, I was up Granite Creek in the Hoback. It was single digit cold and had snowed. That packrat woke me up with a start and I jumped up, got wet and had a tough time getting much sleep after that.

Another time, I was sleeping near the Greys and heard something rustling a tin can. I slowly sat up and a doe mule deer was nuzzling around in a fire pit somebody had left and she was making noise with the cans in the old fire pit.

It's all fun. You guys have some great stories. I used to have an old Chevy El Camino in high school. Had a mattress in the back of that and had fun there, but never spent the night on it. But I can't imagine putting it on a pallet. Just on the truck bed.

View attachment 137643

Sleeping on the ground, in an old set of corals was a great decision back in 1970. We drove out to Rawlings, Wy. to try to get a job for a road construction company based there. The contractor was away to a funeral when we arrive and his kid told us he wouldn’t be back until the next day. We were broke and had no money for a motel so we went looking for a place to lay out a bed roll and spend the night. About 10 miles east of Rawling and 10 miles south of I-80 we came across a set of corals, the old bone dry powered cow manure was a foot deep and flat as a freeway surface.

Softest bed I’ve ever had while sleeping in the dirt, or should I say, cow sh!t.

Assuming everyone is on some sort of pad...I can't fathom why anyone would choose the ground over the bed of the truck? Safer, cleaner, contained, protected, etc. A Canvas Cutter with 4" pad is money. Grab and go. Before the CC, I threw a twin mattress in the back of the truck. I guess the appeal of "roughing it" has faded over the years of uncomfortable sleep. When my shell is on, I see no advantage to a tent. Truck bed is easier and more comfortable, simple choice for me.

Assuming everyone is on some sort of pad...I can't fathom why anyone would choose the ground over the bed of the truck? Safer, cleaner, contained, protected, etc. A Canvas Cutter with 4" pad is money. Grab and go. Before the CC, I threw a twin mattress in the back of the truck. I guess the appeal of "roughing it" has faded over the years of uncomfortable sleep. When my shell is on, I see no advantage to a tent. Truck bed is easier and more comfortable, simple choice for me.
Honest question. How many times a night do you wallow out from under your shell, hop down on the ground, to pee, then crawl back into the truck and wallow your way back into your bag, per night.

Asking because, I’m just not up for that…….. at 76 years old. 😁

For real cold I put that reflective bubble wrap under what ever pad I’m sleeping on. Definitely makes the truck bed way warmer

Last edited:
My 4 wheeler is often/usually in the back of hte pickup. And one pickup has a gooseneck ball right in the middle; not the kind you can turn over. And the ground is more spacious, warmer and as has been said, I have to pee at least twice. It's a lot easier to pee from the ground than in a pickup.

One of my pickups has a 5.5 foot bed. The other has a toolbox all the way across the front that sorthen the bed a lot. Not much room in there with a handyman jack, blocks, a shovel, an axe, plus usually a come along, a roller with 1000 feet of mule tape, a tow rope, a cooler or two some antifreeze, maybe some oil and usually a bag of trash. And often an extra spare tire, sometimes two. Thankfully, my tire chains, tow ropes, jumper cables, tools and lots of other stuff fit in my tool box.

It's just a lot easier for me to sleep on the ground. I don't have to move all that stuff around. And easier to get to a place out of the wind behind a big rock or in a steep draw if needed.

Again, this is interesting stuff.

Usually by the time I unload all the crap i take hunting I could have a tarp & cot on the ground and be asleep. Or have a small tent up and sleeping. Guess I need to take less stuff.

Worst night in a truck was one of those little day rides that turned into getting stuck after dark in a mud bog from the spring snow melt. 3 of us in the cab of a Toyota pickup all night until morning. Once light we managed to get her out and back home. Was one long miserable night crammed inside that cab trying to get some sleep. To cold for back of truck or the ground.

Usually by the time I unload all the crap i take hunting I could have a tarp & cot on the ground and be asleep. Or have a small tent up and sleeping. Guess I need to take less stuff.
I don’t known about the great minds part….. but I use the same logic as you do LIK2.

Last edited:
Honest question. How many times a night do you wallow out from under your shell, hop down on the ground, to pee, then crawl back into the truck and wallow your way back into your bag, per night.

Asking because, I’m just not up for that…….. at 76 years old. 😁
Gotta have a pee bag or bottle. I have one for backpacking. Getting in and out the tent is a joke. same with the back of the truck.

At times, I'll have to get up atleast 5x in a night. The pain of the deal has nothing to do of where I am sleeping.

I sleep in the cab. It is a plus from being average height. I started doing it in my '76 Chevy and now my '93 Suburban (back seat). I've also done it in my Nissan 720PU. People ask me if I'm cold....only if I run out of gas.

Is there something wrong with me? I never have to get up in the middle of the night to pee. Well, maybe once every couple months. I make a point of going right before bed and I'm good. Sometimes I will use the pee bottle when I first wake up because it's too cold to climb out of the truck, but it's time to get up anyway. I get lazy and use it then.

Maybe I don't drink enough water....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom