Montana Goat Hunt unit 325

tph247

After 20 years of applying as a non-resident, I drew a Goat tag in unit 325. I have been working my ass off and doing research all summer. Got some great info from a member here. I'll catch some heat on here for saying I'm hunting the opening week (very soon) and not waiting for the long hair. This is my first goat hunt and I'm dragging some good buddy's along so I just want to share a great experience. Trophy hunting, of course, but I really just want a mature billy.

Can't wait to share photos and info I gain on this trip with future tag holders.

Any last minute advice...I'm all ears!

Congrats on tag.
Helped a buddy on his UT tag last year.
Opening weekend was his plan for any decent Billy.
Got a 3.5 yo opening morning.
Was a great experience but my advice is stretch out the hunt if you can.

I shot my first goat on opener (which was 9/1in the unit I had due to how remote it was). The hair was 3” but dense. I love it. I was advised by the biologist to “get in there and kill one as soon as you can as that’s why they open that unit before the rest”. I don’t regret it for a second. She said that every year they have people try to wait on hair and they end up shooting Nannies out of the one herd jn there that has highway access as they get snowed out of the billies. They’re fun. Another perk is the meat is very good and the closer you get to the rut the worse it gets. My billy was 9” long with 5.5” bases and tooth aged at 9.5 years old. Was one of the coolest hunts of my life, backpacking in with my brothers and my wife.
IMG_0451.jpeg

That picture is inspiring! If I can do as well, I'd be very happy. I have planned 12 days for this hunt but will return in October if we can't get it done. I'd love to hear the area you got him, but understand if that is too big an ask. Or PM me if that would be better.

That picture is inspiring! If I can do as well, I'd be very happy. I have planned 12 days for this hunt but will return in October if we can't get it done. I'd love to hear the area you got him, but understand if that is too big an ask. Or PM me if that would be better.
I shot him in three sixteen. It was a fun hunt. I drew Utah last year and I think I’m good on mountain goats now, I’d kill a sheep every year for the rest of my life if I could, but goats I’m good on. Congrats on the tag, enjoy the adventure as that’s most of it.

After 20 years of applying as a non-resident, I drew a Goat tag in unit 325. I have been working my ass off and doing research all summer. Got some great info from a member here. I'll catch some heat on here for saying I'm hunting the opening week (very soon) and not waiting for the long hair. This is my first goat hunt and I'm dragging some good buddy's along so I just want to share a great experience. Trophy hunting, of course, but I really just want a mature billy.

Can't wait to share photos and info I gain on this trip with future tag holders.

Any last minute advice...I'm all ears!
IMG_7833.jpeg

I killed this Billy Opening day of MT Season 3 years ago. Almost full hair.

Another beautiful billy!!! Did you hunt in 325? If so, I'd love to hear more about your hunt. Again, what a stud billy!

Another beautiful billy!!! Did you hunt in 325? If so, I'd love to hear more about your hunt. Again, what a stud billy!
No it was not 325, I will hopefully put updated pictures of him on the wall after 3 years at the taxidermist. My buddy that helped me with the hunt passed away at a young age of 47 suddenly at the beginning of this year. Will be full circle once he’s back in my house. Good luck on your hunt and I hope you kill a good one. I will probably never do another goat hunt.

I shot my first goat on opener (which was 9/1in the unit I had due to how remote it was). The hair was 3” but dense. I love it. I was advised by the biologist to “get in there and kill one as soon as you can as that’s why they open that unit before the rest”. I don’t regret it for a second. She said that every year they have people try to wait on hair and they end up shooting Nannies out of the one herd jn there that has highway access as they get snowed out of the billies. They’re fun. Another perk is the meat is very good and the closer you get to the rut the worse it gets. My billy was 9” long with 5.5” bases and tooth aged at 9.5 years old. Was one of the coolest hunts of my life, backpacking in with my brothers and my wife.
View attachment 118250
Awesome billy, pic and story. I assume snowed out means later in the hunt billies are nearly impossible to get to because of snow - they stay higher than the nannies right? Just curious in case I get lucky and draw!

Awesome billy, pic and story. I assume snowed out means later in the hunt billies are nearly impossible to get to because of snow - they stay higher than the nannies right? Just curious in case I get lucky and draw!
Yeah sort of. Most of the goats in that unit wouldn’t have been accessible with a bunch of snow. I think there’s a few off the highway and from what I understood if those are the only ones you can access you’d have to shoot a nanny as that all that would be left in there. I would assume Billy’s will move in to rut in November but there might be 3-4’ of snow there by then.

Iv seen billies mid winter in lone peak just under the tram haha. Have a fun hunt !

Last edited:
I got it done on a 9 1/4" billy after four grueling days of hunting in the most beautiful area on the planet with 3 great friends (sherpa's) helping me! Thanks to everyone who helped me with info on the unit, Rie Bread, to make this a successful hunt. After the shot, he took about a 300 yard tumble.

63284.jpeg

I got it done on a 9 1/4" billy after four grueling days of hunting in the most beautiful area on the planet with 3 great friends (sherpa's) helping me! Thanks to everyone who helped me with info on the unit, Rie Bread, to make this a successful hunt. After the shot, he took about a 300 yard tumble.

View attachment 119515
Congratulations! Real nice trophy.

Excellent goat!
Thanks for checking back and sharing your success with us.
Well done all around!

Zeke

Nice billie! It's nice when people come back to their thread and give an update. Especially better since you got a nice one. Congrats.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom