Montana Moose, Goat & Sheep Drawings

songdog

HELP!!!!!

I am planning a muley hunt in Colorado this year and I can only go on one out-of-state hunt per year. I usually apply for Montana's moose, mountain goat, and sheep in their annual drawing and have accumulated 3 bonus points per species so far.

My problem is I would like to continue to build points in Montana for moose, goat, and sheep but I DO NOT want to draw a tag this year. Can anyone recommend any moose, goat, and sheep units which have lottery type odds? I don't want to waste any money on a tag by not being able to use it this year or by not being able to get a refund. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I usually apply for units with poor draw odds anyway but I am open to any suggestions!!!

Watch your top knot,

songdog

All draws in MT are Lottery... The points you accumulate just put your name in the pot as many times as you have points.

For example lets say that a certain unit has a history of 1200 applicants for 5 tags, before the point system. So you had a 5/1200 or 0.416% chance of drawing one of those tags.

Now lets looks at it since the points were added. Lets assume the same number of people and permits... and we will assume that 600 of them have 3 points, 300 have 2 points, 200 have 1 point and 100 have none. In the draw everyone gets thier name in the drawing for the number of points they have plus their current aplication. Now if you do the math with their point system you get 600x4 + 300x3 + 200x2 + 100x1 =3800 aplicants in the draw... They will still only draw 5 tags but now there is 3800 to chose from, so for those same five tags your odds are like this 5/3800 x #points

Points----ODDS
4---------0.526%
3---------0.394%
2---------0.263%
1---------0.132%

Or how about this one 5 years from now, still 5 tags and 1200 aplicants, 400 with 8 points, 300 with 7 points, 200 with 6, 100 with 5, 100 with 4 and 100 with 1. With out a point system your odds were still 5/1200 or 0.416% and now with them. 400x9+ 300x8+ 200x7+ 100x6 + 100x5 + 100x2 = 8700 5/8700 x # points

9----0.51% and so on...

As you can see having max points is far from being a sure thing or that it will even impove your draw odds... Its a bogus system and the only thing it does is make the Fish and game money... The more points you get the more you stay up with the draw odds before the point system when into effect. The only thing the point system did is make it harder for people that don't have points to get a tag but, its still possible. Put in for a primo unit and hope for the best, dump your deer tag and go for the sheep, moose or goat. IMO no deer is worth the chance to hunt one of the "big three"

Good luck in the draws, we all need it!

If you draw a Montana sheep tag, you have won the lottery and should drop everything to go. Likewise with taking yourself out of the draw for a year on a less than 1% draw odds in what seems to be a very short life at times. Just my $.02.

Just put in the worst area in the state I mean the hardest draw areas and sit back and let the MTFWP send you your money back...I would recommend 622 for sheep, check for the rest...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom