Montana Mtn. Goat

nvmuley

Hi Everyone,
Montana was good to me! So I thought I'd share a picture that Brian was kind enough to load on his server for me. We got a nice 9" billy on our self-guided hunt/adventure into grizzly country. The shots were 300 and 350 yds and no broken horns in the 40 yard fall off the cliff. (The meat is great!) Camping in grizzly country made it interesting and kind of a hassle, what with hanging food 100+ yds from camp and such. But seeing the grizzly diggings under the whitebark pines near camp (as they looked to raid the squirrel caches of nuts), made it seem like a prudent move!

good luck to you hunters yet to take to the field,
Steve

steve93003.jpg

Congrats on the goat! Way to go! Hunting Grizzly country is awesome ain't it? You just never know when you might come around the corner and have a face to face meeting. You know that you are not the top predator on the mountain.

Thanks Guys,
It was a great experience, one everyone should get to go on.
Keep applying for those tags!

Great Hunt!! I see you lucked out too and had no snow for your hunt! I was really concerned when I hunted my Mnt. Goat in Colo. that the snow would come heavy and it would be dangerous hiking in all that super steep country!!
See any wolves??

PD, We didn't see any sign of wolves, just grizzly tracks. And quite a few elk. They were bugling around the tent most nights. We did get lucky on the weather, not even any rain.

I was wondering what unit you got? Is this your first time drawing a special tag? I been putting in every year since i was old enough with zip so far. Hopefully the bons pts will help someday.

RockyDog,
This is not my first time drawing a special tag, but it's been a while, a long while! I started putting in for Montana several years before the bonus points started and every year since. But I've applied in other states for many, many years. My last sheep tag was in 1981 (?) in Wyoming and this was my first goat tag. Just keep putting in, it'll happen. Oh, and this goat came from unit 362. Try and put in for as many states as you can afford to do so in. To use a phrase I recently heard, GOD don't drive no parked car, so go for it! And the best of luck to you too.

Hey NVmuley,

Where were you at in 362? I have been elk hunting that country the last several years and am just curious if we've trounced around the same mountains or not?

Hornseeker

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom