Montana Un-limited Bighorn Sheep units

Yakatak

I'm hoping some fellow MM'ers would be willing to share some info on Montana's unlimited Bighorn sheep units? I have been patiently waiting to draw a Desert sheep tag at home in Utah, but I have the sheep bug bad! I realize I probably won't be fortunate to complete a Full Curl on my budget but, I have my health and desire to accomplish a difficult backpack style hunt to get a Rocky Mtn sheep if I start now. Is this a do-able hunt for a DIY hunter? Can a 170-class ram be encountered on these units or is it a waste of $700.00 and a couple bonus points?

Thanks in advance for your input,
Yak.

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on.
Thomas Jefferson

The unlimiteds aren't for the faint of heart. Chances are that you won't even see a sheep, let alone harvest one. On another site I've followed the exploits of another fellow who has gone a number of times and to my knowledge has yet to see a sheep. Has it been done? Yes. In fact, I have an article about a guy who took a very nice sheep in one of the unlimited about a decade ago or so. I think some years people harvest but IMO it is a camping trip in bear country moreso than a hunting trip. I'm not trying to discourage you, just want you to know what you're in for.

Good Luck on whatever you do-

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

LAST EDITED ON Mar-15-10 AT 10:54PM (MST)[p]I went on three of these 20 years ago when I first started hunting sheep. Area NW of Gardiner, S of Bozeman, and W of Red Lodge. I saw sheep every time I went. Mainly ewes and young rams. Thought I saw a legal ram in Nov. at Red Lodge but it was snowing so hard I couldn't tell for sure and then he just disappeared. It is strictly a backpack affair or ponies if you have them. I always went in 4 or 5 days before the season and scouted that way then hunted for 2 or 3 days. I did not pre scout which is definitely not the way to go. There are sheep in every unit for sure. Some move in out of the park later in the season and some are there all the time. One thing for sure it is a sheep hunt and you can't kill one from your living room. If I were a young guy and wanted to sheep hunt I'd give her a shot, especially if you are a backpacker. If you could go up once during the summer to look around it would give you a head start for sure. Montana has a FNAWS chapter and I'll bet you could get some basic info from those guys. When I went it was $450 and you could just buy a tag if you didn't draw. How things have changed. I'd take a buddy with me, lots more fun. Good luck.

I would say finding a 170 ram in one of those units is a pipe-dream! If that is what you are after, save your money!
However, any legal sheep in one of those units would be a real prize, and one well worth your effort.

Thanks guys. I knew I could count on you! I guess I need to make a trip up there before the May 1st application deadline. I'm having difficulty understanding why a sizeable ram couldn't be located there? If the units are that difficult to hunt I could see a ram attaining old age. Or, is it a waiting game with the weather to push animals to lower elevations and the quota being filled with lesser rams? Are the sheep that are taken killed in Septemeber or is this a late season affair? I agree with you LittleBighorn, any legal ram would be an execellent prize!
One more thought while I have your attention. Would I be correct in assuming that most of the rams taken on these units are harvested with the assistance of an outfitter/guide?

Thanks again Guys!
Yak

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on.
Thomas Jefferson

Several years ago somebody else brought up this same question here on MM. Unlimited tags are sold but the quota for the unit might be 3 or maybe two. So you have to take a satellite phone with you and call to see if the quota has been filled every day. Lots of grizzlies and lots of hard rocky climbing. I read one story about a man and his wife spending 37 days camping and got a good sheep. I don't remember how big it was. I wish I could remember where I read all the stuff about. One thing is for sure, you do not want to do it without a lot of research. As stated above, the Huntin Fool magazine would be a good source to start with. fatrooster.

I have heard that success in the unlimited areas runs about %5. That is about the same as here in British Columbia (for a resident sheep hunter) where I hunt sheep every year.

With that in mind, sheep usually have a home range and where you find them one year they will most likely be in the same area year after after year.

So instead of wasting your points on the area without really hunting it, why not put in for a higher hunt area (just in case) and go spend a week hiking around the country anyway.

aqpply for a deer tag or buy one over the counter (not sure if you can) and spend some time up there. After a few years you may find where the rams are hiding out then you buy the unlimited tag the following year.

I have spents years trying to find rams in some of the local areas in BC without seeing a ram. But now I have very intimate knowledge of the areas and every time I go out I can see rams, becuase I know where they will roughly be. It only takes a few days to pinpoint their location if you already know the general area.

That would be my advice, hunt/hike camp the area without a tag for the first few years. then apply for the tag once you know where they are.

BHB

good luck to you...if you go and don't take a sheep at least later and immediately yo will know you had the courage to try...if you go and take one you will appreciate horns,meat and memory later and immediately..plus a worthy addition to the trophy room...good luck.. hth

This subject comes up every year.

It's a fun hunt if you are all about backpacking and seeing some great country. The problem is that there is usually always someone (outfitter) that is sitting on both legal rams the night before and will shoot 30 minutes before legal shooting light on opening day. It's not worth it if you want a half decent ram. 170 will not happen I would pretty much guarantee it, in fact 170 would be a big ram in these areas if it was a limited unit.

As hard as it is to draw a tag, I would still suggest getting bonus points. I hope they do away with the unlimited areas. The unit south of Bozeman is now a draw for 5 rams as of about 5-6 years ago and I still haven't seen a ram over 170 and last year I saw a group of 30 rams and currently watch them winter every year.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom