Montana

huntn30inchers

I just moved up to Missoula to go to school and am having a great time exploring so far but I was just wondering if there are any mule deer in western montana?I've only seen whitetail including one buck (mind you I dont have a clue how to judge a whitetail) but from comparing pictures of deer with known scores probably scored in the 170 range. He better smarten up though because he ran right in front of my truck on the season opener and fed for 10 or so minutes in someones front yard. Oh, also, im going to make an attempt at chasing spring bear and dont know a thing about them. Anyone have any bit if info I could use?

Some of the best mule deer hunting in the state is South of Missoula. All draw areas. Spring bear is fun but can be tough. Any ideas on where you plan to hunt? mtmuley

I dont have the slightest clue. I have only been here a little over a week and dont know a thing. But I figure it couldnt hurt to give it a shot. I dont know where bears live, how to judge them or hunt them, I do know that I love to be in the woods and have the chance to loose an arrow, so . . . Can you even hunt them in the spring with a bow? Where south of missoula, I would love to go take a look at how Montana stacks up to Nevada as far as muley bucks go.

Here's a bear I had in my yard the other night.
ICAM0009.jpg

I live about 15 minutes West of Missoula.

A bear in Montana with a bow is a TALL order. No baiting allowed, and spot and stalk on a mature blackie? Could be done but from the bear hunting I've done, it would seem extremely difficult. A buddy and I connected on a 6' plus bear in the South Bitteroot. When we left the truck, since I carried my rifle, he carried his bow. He took the bear with my rifle. He had found the bear a week previous, so it was his to take. As far as muleys, take a ride South. mtmuley

It seems from the country that I've seen although very limited that finding one would be the hard part. No? I dont know, I'm up for the challenge and I guess that if I couldnt get an arrow into one I could pull out the rifle. What is the deal with the rattlesnake? I understand that there are bears all over up there and I like the idea of being able to ride my bike back up in and getting away from pickups and quads. My only issue is that I had never even seen a bear and I dont know how well I could keep my composure in bow range of a big boar.

30inchers, I don't hunt that far North. I know the Rattlesnake has it share of bear problems. If you could find a homeowner up there and set up in their yard....I'm only half joking. If I were you, I would look to the Blackfoot country, South to the East or West Forks, even over to the Big Hole if you don't mind the trip. I hunt the East side of the Root. If I could get permission from the landowner between my house and my favorite spot, I could walk there faster than driving. mtmuley

Can anyone comment on the quality of mule deer out east of Great Falls? Maybe an hour or more east. Are there any whitetails out there? There's some property there it appears I could hunt and wanted to see what to expect as a "mature" animal. Thanks

I hunt Deer and Antelope out of Lewistown off of Hwy 200. As far a quality from what ive seen its not gonna be a big Boone and Crockett producer of animals. The best mule deer ive seen are spindly 150 and a couple 170 bucks(22-26" at . Not too bad, but I also have never hunted there during the rut. There are very few whiteys where i hunt and ive seen more the farther south you go towards Powder River area. Good antelope number all over. Hope that helps hit me up if you have any more questions. Im no expert but have been hunting hard there for over 5 years.

I've hunted that area east of Great Falls many times successfully. The Highwood Bar is a good place to eat and have a "soda" too.

I know you're ''huntn30inchers'' but if you can get permission get after that Whitey. 170 is a BIG Whitetail !! Good luck ! C.C.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-07-07 AT 03:41PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-07-07 AT 03:39?PM (MST)

Yeah, I dont know anything about whitetail bucks but even I was able to recognize that he was a buck worth going after. I dont know what I think about whitetail though. He was a cool buck, he had two long cheaters on his left side. I wish I had a camera with me, all I had was my phone and the pictures didnt come out very well. And I should specify that I am hunting 30 inchers NOT killing them. haha. And unfortunately I wont be able to hunt until next year because of my residency, Ill make a run at him next year but i would be surprised if someone didnt put him down this season. But who knows, he didnt get big by being dumb.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom